Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Most Offensively Stupid Prog Rock Title Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I gotta admit, you make a good argument there, Mascodagama. Now I'm all pissed off about Gandalf and I never even herd of them! "The River of Permanent Changes" indeed! Sounds like an oxymoronic moron accidentally heard about Heraclitus.
    No man ever steps in the same bullshit twice.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    While he plunged headlong into undiluted New Age a few years in, Gandalf's early stuff is awesome. Here's the first album from 1980. Go to "Foreign Landscape" (second track, around 6min. in).

It's still not really my bag, but yeah that is way way better than the later stuff.

Any album or song title by Arjen Lucassen (except Stream Of Passion).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm still waiting for the OP, or anyone, to explain why TRSOG, is "offensive" to them. Pretentious, possibly, depending on your world view, but not really something to wet your knickers over. Great tune also.

My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair, But Now They’re Content To Wear Stars on Their Brows. More psych than prog I suppose, but still...add cape or a druid-sighting and there ya go.
    Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of Sony Music

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    No man ever steps in the same bullshit twice.
    You can say that after three years on PE?

When I was in FC, we did a 20-minute studio improv and called it "The Revealing Science of Wad". We were baked.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

A beautiful piano composition, but "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap just doesn't fit the ambiance. In D minor. A very sad key.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^^^
    That always makes me instantly weep....

Not disagreeing with anything that’s been submitted thus far. Allow me to throw another in the ring, already mentioned in an adjoining thread: “Atlantis’ Agony at June 5th—8498, 13 P.M. Gregorian Earthtime” by Eloy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'll play along and suggest the Japanese band Outer Limits' "A Boy Playing The Magical Bugle Horn."
    Ah yes, the same band responsible for the title “Organ Small Works No. 4”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I'm still waiting for the OP, or anyone, to explain why TRSOG, is "offensive" to them. Pretentious, possibly, depending on your world view, but not really something to wet your knickers over. Great tune also.

RSOG is one of my top 10 pieces of music of all time, of any genre. But if someone wants to diss only the title, no worries. AFAIAC, it's pretentious, sure, but why not? The "tunes" on TFTO more than earn their pretensions musically.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Any album or song title by Arjen Lucassen (except Stream Of Passion).
    Wait, that's the only one of his album titles that's NOT offensively stupid? Recorded at the Moscow Ritz-Carlton...
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Capability Brown-- "Keep Death Off the Road, Drive on the Pavement".

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    What is offensively stupid insults one’s intelegence. I never felt insulted by that title. It’s just the name of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    When I was in FC...
    If you don't mind, what do you mean by that? I am sorry if I am missing something already stated many times before, or self evident for any american.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I also submit for your consideration the album “Invisible Power: A Symphonic Prayer” by “Gandalf”. This one has really got it all:

1. Artist has a stupid name. If he put out music under his real name of Heinz Stobl he'd probably have come up with some decent Krautrock. But when you pick a name like “Gandalf” you're more or less obligated to produce some weedy, bombastic-yet-gutless synthy toss like this.

2. Album has a stupid title. If it had been released more recently I'd have thought it must have been procedurally generated by the Make A Stupid Prog Album Title v1.2 web page.

3. Individual tracks have stupid titles, e.g. Second Movement: The River of Permanent Changes, Part I.

4. Album cover is utterly toe-curling (the lovely sensitive features of “Gandalf”, wreathed in golden light, emerge between sea and sky - and it's pretty clear that “Gandalf” is having a SPIRITUAL ORGASM). Cheap, cheap photography employed in the service of complete aesthetic cluelessness.

5. The music is shite.

Everything that's embarassing about prog wrapped up in one album? Quite possibly.
    But at least there is nothing wrong with the lyrics

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    If you don't mind, what do you mean by that? I am sorry if I am missing something already stated many times before, or self evident for any american.
    Frogg Cafe.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Can oceans be topographic? Are they all topographic, or is the term applicable to specific oceans? If so, to which oceans do these terms refer? Are they tales from some topographic oceans or all topographic oceans?
    I refer you to this piece in the Journal of Biogeography: "Kerguelen Plateau and the Late Cretaceous southern‐continent bioconnection hypothesis: tales from a topographical ocean", https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9.2009.02105.x

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Borderline prog: Stevie Wonder's Fullfillingness' First Finale. What the hell does that mean? It doesn't even make sense.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Any recent King Crimson title has to be up there. "Radical Action (to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind)"?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You can say that after three years on PE?
    Point. If Heraclitus had been on the forum he'd have had to come up with some different stuff. Though I figure him more for a Country & Western man.

It's Prog, people. Keep it silly.
    Prog's Not Dead

I've always thought that Return to Forever's Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant (Parts I and II) sounds like the corniest possible neo-prog song title. Truly ahead of their time.

Then there's the original title of Utopia's "Mr. Triscuits": "The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus".
    Do not bug a wombat, 'cause wombats bug back,
    and no-one can live through a wombat attack.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I refer you to this piece in the Journal of Biogeography: "Kerguelen Plateau and the Late Cretaceous southern‐continent bioconnection hypothesis: tales from a topographical ocean", https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...9.2009.02105.x

Henry
    Thanks! Very interesting, so there was no causeway between East Antarctica and India. However since the publication is from 2009 I assume the title is Yes inspired (otherwise why reference an academic work as a "tale")? Dave IMO is spot on - all oceans are "topographical" in so far as their physical features can be described. Stupid title, Dave wins!
    There are more stars in the visible universe than there are grains of sand on planet earth.