Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen + Adam Lambert announce Summer '19 US Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because Martel is basically a Freddie imitation, and they didn't want that. And it's a smart move, IMO. Martel is great, but he'll forever be looked at as a Freddie imitator.
    Wait wut?

Since Queen is primarily interested in playing Queen hits and not new music, I don't see why Martel would have strikes against him because he can more convincingly play the part. I've also seen a lot of internet chatter about how choosing Martel would be "disrespectful" to Freddie (which I find fascinating how many people seem to be able to speak for the dead) and also attributing that Roger/Brian did not select him because he was an "imitator" (if they have gone out and said this, please quote it).

I recall watching some interviews that Roger/Brian saw Lambert's Idol audition and immediately felt a connection to him. I'm not sure if that's what "really" happened or the story they told after the fact, but it seems to me more as if they wanted to work with him as opposed to some long, drawn out audition process. They did that instead with "Queen Extravaganza", to which Martel rose to the top, but was a separate initiative.

So from the way I see it, their connection and relationship with Lambert pre-dates that with Martel, which is the overarching reason Lambert is in the band.

But Martel would be great with Queen and fans would embrace him as well if it had turned out that way.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think this cover is absolutely phenomenal, not just for its accuracy, but the skill of pulling off this song as a solo piano/vocal cover. Wow.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm not even going to dignify that statement by responding to it.
    But you just did.

Look, you've seen Lambert and enjoyed him. I can't argue with on that. I can only state from what I've seen and heard on Youtube, is that he doesn't work for me. I prefer Marc Martel buy a hundred miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think this cover is absolutely phenomenal, not just for it's accuracy, but the skill of pulling off this song as a solo piano/vocal cover. Wow.
    Yes. He's quite an accomplished musician and had a solo career doing original material before he was pegged as sounding a lot like Freddie Mercury. In other words, his natural singing voice sounds like Mercury, he's not doing a bit. Like when people tell Jon Davison that he sounds like Jon Anderson. I believe initially Marc didn't want to go down the "queen" road, but after some encouragement he gave it a shot and it has been working out well for him, and found he can still do both.

That's an incredible cover of Bohemian Rhapsody! Love his arrangement.

He does just as well with We Are The Champions:

I think this cover is absolutely phenomenal, not just for its accuracy, but the skill of pulling off this song as a solo piano/vocal cover. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    That's an incredible cover of Bohemian Rhapsody! Love his arrangement.

He does just as well with We Are The Champions
    I don't really have a dog in this hunt as I'm probably not going to see this show (I'm in the "no John Deacon, no Queen" camp. ).

But I have to say after watching several Youtube videos of Lambert, and now watching these, I'd also give the nod to Martel. They both sing well, but Martel's voice is more commanding. Not a bad piano player either. I'm not sure how May and Taylor made their decision, but if Martel were singing, I might be more disposed to go to the show.

Bill

Marc Martel.... why aren't Brian & Roger touring with this guy?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Here's a full show.
    https://youtu.be/gCyVPdQnabk

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Wow, he just doesn't work for me at all. It's like watching Queen fronted by an Elvis impersonator. But probably no one would really work, for me. Depends on how much you want to see the rest of Queen, I guess.

Santa Claus on drums!

Just bought to tickets to see Marc Martel's Ultimate Queen Celebration in University Park, IL. Can't wait!

Interesting bit on his website, "Was hand-selected by Brian May and Roger Taylor of the legendary rock band, Queen, to front this official tribute, The Queen Extravaganza, and has done so since 2012. Legendary Queen drummer Roger Taylor remarked to the Daily Record: “That voice. You listen, close your eyes and you think it’s Freddie. It’s really uncanny.”

Lambert does an OK job. I'm fine with them touring as people want to hear those songs and see May/Taylor, just please stay out of the studio. The world does not need another The Cosmos Rocks.

Wait wut?

Since Queen is primarily interested in playing Queen hits and not new music, I don't see why Martel would have strikes against him because he can more convincingly play the part. I've also seen a lot of internet chatter about how choosing Martel would be "disrespectful" to Freddie (which I find fascinating how many people seem to be able to speak for the dead) and also attributing that Roger/Brian did not select him because he was an "imitator" (if they have gone out and said this, please quote it).
    I haven't ever read them saying this. But, judging from whom they've worked with in the role (George Michael, Jeff Scott Soto, Paul Rodgers, Adam Lambert), it's pretty clear that they don't want a Freddie imitator.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I haven't ever read them saying this. But, judging from whom they've worked with in the role (George Michael, Jeff Scott Soto, Paul Rodgers, Adam Lambert), it's pretty clear that they don't want a Freddie imitator.
    Well...I wouldn't draw the same conclusion based on that. George Michael and Elton John were essentially one-offs or special events/tributes. I am not even sure what Soto did with them, but I'd assume something similar. And the Paul Rodgers experiment was very much a conscious effort to MOVE ON from Freddie completely. Concerts would feature Bad Company songs, Brian and Roger would sing vox on certain Queen songs and play more of their written material. They even recorded an album of new material that wasn't an attempt to imitate Queen. The other thing all of these guys have in common is they are already internationally successful/famous in their own endeavors, as opposed to Martel. Even Adam Lambert already had more than his 15 minutes of fame by the time he teamed up with Queen. So I'd buy "they didn't want to have an unknown as a front man" as a better theory.

Not a fan of Adam's vocals with Queen at all. Although I did enjoy him during his Idol run. I think with the proper material he's got a great voice, but that clip from Queen Live in Rio was horrendous, horrible, cringe-worthy and difficult to watch as his vocals just didn't seem to fit and out of his range.
    I think it's another one of those cases where Queen should've just moved on, never seen the other guy(Martel) and the posted videos didn't work.

I think vocal replacements are difficult to make work, some successful one's to me are Kansas, Foreigner and Arena.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I found the choice of using Paul Rodgers as vocalist fascinating. You almost can't get further away from Mercury than that, a bluesy full throated non-flamboyant singer. Now I kind of wish I had seen one of those shows.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I heard that Queen had toured with Adam Lambert before, but I knew nothing about Lambert before that, and had not seen or heard him before I watched the burger king pajama video posted above. Someone said he was an American Idol winner, but I never watched that show, and they seem to have less than effective publicity for their contestants. So I looked up "American Idol Winners," but "American Idol Finalists" was the best I could find in wikiland. There are not many names there I recognize, but there are a few: Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Katharine McPhee, Taylor Hicks, and Adam Lambert. I heard of none of these people because of American Idol, but all became famous enough that I heard their names later. Only a few of them have I heard sing: Clarkson, Pickler, and Underwood (and today Lambert). They aren't bad, but I'm not going to start watching reality tv because of them. Before this thread, I had never heard of Marc Martel, who is apparently "video unavailable." Ghosted by youtube. A fate worse than obscurity. You guys are way better informed than I am. But I've heard of three more people than Jed

all of these guys have in common is they are already internationally successful/famous in their own endeavors, as opposed to Martel. ... So I'd buy "they didn't want to have an unknown as a front man" as a better theory.
    Yes, it does appear that way. You would think they could draw enough people based on May/Taylor alone... but perhaps not. Perhaps they need a big name to attract a "mass" audience. Someone young that can attract a new audience. But Youtube is changing that. Martel is becoming very well known on his own.

If you guys can't see the Marc Martel Youtubes here, I highly suggest you go to Youtube and search for him.

I see the first video I posted you can't view, but the other two with him at the piano you can. Did you check all of them?

Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 12-05-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I found the choice of using Paul Rodgers as vocalist fascinating. You almost can't get further away from Mercury than that, a bluesy full throated non-flamboyant singer. Now I kind of wish I had seen one of those shows.
    It was ok. They did too many Bad Company songs, as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, I know, they only did two of them, Bad Company itself and Feel Like Making Love, but I felt if they had to acknowledge Rodgers' past career, they should have done more Free (I would have liked to have heard Mr. Big or Wishing Well in addition to All Right Now), and/or a song or two from The Firm (yeah, I know the latter is wishful thinking, but any of the Firm singles would have been better choices than the Bad Company crap).

The other thing about the Rodgers era is, as far as I know, they avoided the sort of music hall/vaudeville type songs. So there was no Killer Queen, no Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, no Bicycle Race, etc. The only Freddie songs they did at the show I saw, I think, were Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Bohemian Rhapsody (the latter with them playing to a tape of Freddie singing for the first half of the song, then after the opera section, which of course has always been on tape, Paul sang the heavy rock section, then as I recall, the coda was done as sort of a duet between Paul singing live and Freddie on tape).

For me, the big thing about that show was finally getting to see Dr. Brian May play live. Well, Roger too, but Brian is one of my original guitar gods, one of the reasons I play guitar, so that was the big thing for me. I knew it wasn't really Queen, but Brian was all I needed for me to want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    But I've heard of three more people than Jed
    Aim high.

Wait wut?

I recall watching some interviews that Roger/Brian saw Lambert's Idol audition and immediately felt a connection to him. I'm not sure if that's what "really" happened or the story they told after the fact, but it seems to me more as if they wanted to work with him as opposed to some long, drawn out audition process. They did that instead with "Queen Extravaganza", to which Martel rose to the top, but was a separate initiative.

So from the way I see it, their connection and relationship with Lambert pre-dates that with Martel, which is the overarching reason Lambert is in the band.

But Martel would be great with Queen and fans would embrace him as well if it had turned out that way.
    You make some good point for sure. The year that Lambert was on American Idol happened to be a year that I actually watched it. People started comparing him to Freddie right from the beginning of the season. I may have this wrong, but I seem to remember him performing with Queen on the season finale. Lambert also has a much higher profile than Martel with the general public. Lambert's association with Queen does pre-date Martel's as well. Martel was picked by Roger and Brian for the "Queen Extravaganza" touring show in 2012 that toured arenas for about a year if I remember correctly. It was an officially sponsored Queen tribute show. There was another vocalist as well, but don't remember who it was. Lambert had his American Idol run in 2009 which is where Queen became aware of him. I think they are both very talented people, but Marc sounds more like Freddie to me.

I do not know if Adam Lambert also performed with Queen, but on the season finale he performed with KISS.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I heard that Queen had toured with Adam Lambert before, but I knew nothing about Lambert before that, and had not seen or heard him before I watched the burger king pajama video posted above. Someone said he was an American Idol winner, but I never watched that show, and they seem to have less than effective publicity for their contestants. So I looked up "American Idol Winners," but "American Idol Finalists" was the best I could find in wikiland. There are not many names there I recognize, but there are a few: Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Katharine McPhee, Taylor Hicks, and Adam Lambert. I heard of none of these people because of American Idol, but all became famous enough that I heard their names later. Only a few of them have I heard sing: Clarkson, Pickler, and Underwood (and today Lambert). They aren't bad, but I'm not going to start watching reality tv because of them. Before this thread, I had never heard of Marc Martel, who is apparently "video unavailable." Ghosted by youtube. A fate worse than obscurity. You guys are way better informed than I am. But I've heard of three more people than Jed
    I've heard of some of those names (definitely never heard of Kellie Pickler - LOL!) but never knowingly heard any of them except Clay Aiken. I remember him being a big thing; does he still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Clay Aiken. I remember him being a big thing; does he still exist?
    He probably does still exist, but his career might not. He was one of the guys everyone was making jokes about him being, before he even came out of the closet. But yeah, he was popular for a couple years. Penn And Teller even lambasted him an episode of their Bullshit show that ran on Showtime circa 2004-2008.

I've probably actually heard most of the popular people from these shows, one way or another, thanks to the music that's played at work. Sometimes they'll play cool stuff like Roxy Music (More Than This and Avalon), Grateful Dead (Ripples, Estimated Prophet, and a really good cover of Box Of Rain) or Split Enz (whichever one it is that has the "I don't know/But sometimes I get frightened" refrain), but they also ram horrendous stuff like Katy Perry (Wide Awake), Adele (Rumor Has It), Peter Paul And Mary (I Dig Rock N Roll Music) and other things you don't really want or need to ever hear again. So maybe Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and those other people are among the perpetrators I have to endure when I'm putting away the truck.

I don't watch American Idol, but somewhere along the way I saw the stunning Katherine McPhee, maybe on a talk or awards show. Then the Chris Botti live blu ray was recommended to me for the quality and the live performances as a demo reference blu ray when I first started buying a lot of BR concerts and McPhee does a sizzling magnificent rendition of Sinatra's (Cole Porter's) I've Got You Under My Skin, with Botti basically undressing her with his eyes during the trumpet solo. Thought she would have a bigger music career by now. Of course Carrie Underwood is everywhere and virtually impossible not to notice.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-06-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He probably does still exist, but his career might not. He was one of the guys everyone was making jokes about him being, before he even came out of the closet. But yeah, he was popular for a couple years.
    He's spent most of this last decade doing work with UNICEF, other philanthropic and activist endeavors, and even dabble in politics.