Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen + Adam Lambert announce Summer '19 US Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I do not know if Adam Lambert also performed with Queen, but on the season finale he performed with KISS.

For the record, I'm fine with Adam replacing Paul Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So maybe Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and those other people are among the perpetrators I have to endure when I'm putting away the truck.
    Oh, the horror!

I can testify to the fact that Kelly Clarkson has a great voice. I was in the recording studio when she recorded vocals for her 2004 album Breakaway, which has sold over 6 million units. It's a very good album. Hearing her isolated vocals live, in-studio was fantastic! This was the last session at Kevin Gilbert's Lawnmower & Garden Recording Studio before it was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm fine with anyone replacing Paul Stanley/KISS.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000
    I've heard of some of those names (definitely never heard of Kellie Pickler - LOL!) but never knowingly heard any of them except Clay Aiken. I remember him being a big thing; does he still exist?
    I haven't followed Aiken's career; I've never even heard him sing, to my knowledge. But I heard of him. Many of the country artists, or pop artists who started in country music, I have heard because every week they have a country music awards show on TV. Pat themselves on the back much? I don't try to watch, but seeing parts of it are unavoidable. Kellie Pickler has a daytime talk show called "Pickler And Ben." I don't know who Ben is, and I don't care for daytime TV, but my wife watches sometimes. Clarkson, Pickler, and Underwood are all decent singers I have seen on the idiot box, Clarkson being the best of the three, IMO. I have seen CDs by Katharine McPhee in the thrift store, but so far I have not purchased one, and thus have not heard her sing. Taylor Hicks is a country singer, as far as I know. I don't recall how I heard of Jennifer Hudson, but I did, so she must be well known.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    but they also ram horrendous stuff like Katy Perry (Wide Awake), Adele (Rumor Has It), Peter Paul And Mary (I Dig Rock N Roll Music) and other things you don't really want or need to ever hear again.
    I'd prefer to work in silence rather than have someone else choose workplace music. I can tolerate Adele and Peter Paul and Mary if not played incessantly, but I have come to loathe hearing Katy Perry's bellowing. I have nothing against her personally, and she's not hard on the eyes, but she needs to STFU.
    Last edited by spellbound; 12-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Only if he gets to have new makeup.

Oh, the horror!

I can testify to the fact that Kelly Clarkson has a great voice.
    I'm sure all of them have great voices. The problem is that a great voice needs a great song to sing, and the ones that I've heard are decidedly "not great". Supposedly, Adele is one of the greatest pop singers of her generation, but if the rest of the stuff she does is on the same level as Rumor Has It, I'll take a pass on it. I don't know when the last time I heard a really good pop song, maybe not since I'll Be The One by The Backstreet Boys, and that was like 20 years ago!

I do not know if Adam Lambert also performed with Queen, but on the season finale he performed with KISS.

Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    He's spent most of this last decade doing work with UNICEF, other philanthropic and activist endeavors, and even dabble in politics.
    Aiken has also done quite a bit of musical theater. I know he was in a touring version of Spamalot for quite a while, and may have even done it on Broadway (not sure about that though). He did a holiday Christmas show here in town a few years ago that was a touring production.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I don't watch American Idol, but somewhere along the way I saw the stunning Katherine McPhee, maybe on a talk or awards show. Then the Chris Botti live blu ray was recommended to me for the quality and the live performances as a demo reference blu ray when I first started buying a lot of BR concerts and McPhee does a sizzling magnificent rendition of Sinatra's (Cole Porter's) I've Got You Under My Skin, with Botti basically undressing her with his eyes during the trumpet solo. Thought she would have a bigger music career by now. Of course Carrie Underwood is everywhere and virtually impossible not to notice.
    Idol has produced a few very talented people, McPhee, Clarkston, Hudson, and Underwood to name a few. Last weekend I saw 2013 winner Caleb Johnson singing with Trans Siberian Orchestra and he slayed the place. I had seen his solo band open for Black Stone Cherry last year, and the kid has got the goods, and is a major talent. He is one of the few hard rockers that have ever done well on Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I'd prefer to work in silence rather than have someone else choose workplace music. I can tolerate Adele and Peter Paul and Mary if not played incessantly, but I have come to loathe hearing Katy Perry's bellowing. I have nothing against her personally, and she's not hard on the eyes, but she needs to STFU.
    The problem is, a lot of stores and restaurants, etc have bought into this thing of having music playing non-stop, but the music services, at least the one we use at my job, tends to be extremely repetitive. The Peter Paul And Mary song I only heard once, so it didn't get too aggravating, but some of the other things like the Katy Perry and Adele songs I've heard so many times, I just don't have any interest in ever hearing them again.

But there's a few weird things I've noticed, though. I go to other restaurants and I hear way cooler music over the PA there. At Five Guys (a hamburger chain) I've heard In Thee and Burnin' For You by Blue Oyster Cult, Heroes by David Bowie, and Blowin' Free by Wishbone Ash. Wait, WISHBONE ASH?! Yeah, and in fact, the restaurant in question has PA speakers on the outside of their building, and for a time, I noticed I hear Blowin' Free at pretty much the exact same time of day, while I was waiting for the bus.

At Walgreens, I've heard both The Who and Television. Yes, they played Television at Walgreens, it was Hear No Evil.

At one place, I heard a Genesis song (I think it might have been That's All or Invisible Touch), followed by Something's Going On by Frida Lynstadt, followed by Abba (So Long, maybe, I can't remember now). Now, this is notable because Phil Collins produced the Frida song (and in fact, that's him playing drums, and he also dragged Daryl Steurmer along to play guitar), and Frida of course was in Abba. I thought that there's no way that was an accident! Somebody had to have programmed those three songs to play in that order on purpose. I mean, that's the kind of thing I would have done if I was doing it.

So I don't understand why we can't get that kind of musical selection at my place of work. I mean, it's not like I'm asking them play Iron Maiden or Judas Priest, I know they "can't" do that, that have to be "family friendly" or whatever. But you can be "family friendly" or at least choose music that's "easy on the ears" without playing the absolute throwaways they choose to play.

And another aspect of this is the Xmas music they play during December. They play stuff like Duke Ellington, Jimmy Smith, Los Straitjackets, Wes Montgomery and other exceptional musical artists, doing Xmas numbers. Now, my question is, if you can play Duke Ellington, Los Straitjackets and Wes Montgomery in December, why the frell can't you play the rest of the year?! It's not like Duke Ellington only ever played Xmas themed music!

And if you're gonna step out of your usual playlist for Xmas, why not throw in Solstice Bells by Jethro Tull and Christmas With The Devil by Spinal Tap. OK, I'm being facetious about the latter, but surely Solstice Bells is "mild" enough to be played.

Damn, if I ever own a business, all we're playing in the store is old jazz, blues, soul, and rock music. And if you can't hang with Thin Lizzy, I don't want your business.

I didn't see it live in person, but the visual evidence suggests that Queen/Paul Rodgers offered a good live show. Rodgers is of course one of rock's best singers. It was the album The Cosmos Rocks which I thought was dreadful. I kept an open mind, played it 15-20 times or something but it was big-budget pub rock. Fell flat on its face commercially and in this instance, I think that was completely justified.

I do remember May/Taylor appearing on American Idol with Lambert in 2009, 'We Are The Champions' was what they played, maybe, I'm not certain. There was a buzz about it back then. The writing was really already on the wall for the collaboration with Rodgers when the album flopped.

I found the choice of using Paul Rodgers as vocalist fascinating. You almost can't get further away from Mercury than that, a bluesy full throated non-flamboyant singer. Now I kind of wish I had seen one of those shows.
    I've only seen a video, and thought it worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The other thing about the Rodgers era is, as far as I know, they avoided the sort of music hall/vaudeville type songs. So there was no Killer Queen, no Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, no Bicycle Race, etc. The only Freddie songs they did at the show I saw, I think, were Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Bohemian Rhapsody (the latter with them playing to a tape of Freddie singing for the first half of the song, then after the opera section, which of course has always been on tape, Paul sang the heavy rock section, then as I recall, the coda was done as sort of a duet between Paul singing live and Freddie on tape).
    IIRC, he also did a great job on "The Show Must Go On."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've heard of some of those names (definitely never heard of Kellie Pickler - LOL!) but never knowingly heard any of them except Clay Aiken. I remember him being a big thing; does he still exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He probably does still exist, but his career might not. He was one of the guys everyone was making jokes about him being, before he even came out of the closet. But yeah, he was popular for a couple years. Penn And Teller even lambasted him an episode of their Bullshit show that ran on Showtime circa 2004-2008.
    He also ran for Congress in 2014, in North Carolina. He ran as a Democrat in a very Republican district, and the results were pretty much as expected.

I don't watch American Idol, but somewhere along the way I saw the stunning Katherine McPhee, maybe on a talk or awards show. Then the Chris Botti live blu ray was recommended to me for the quality and the live performances as a demo reference blu ray when I first started buying a lot of BR concerts and McPhee does a sizzling magnificent rendition of Sinatra's (Cole Porter's) I've Got You Under My Skin, with Botti basically undressing her with his eyes during the trumpet solo. Thought she would have a bigger music career by now. Of course Carrie Underwood is everywhere and virtually impossible not to notice.
    She's an incredible talent, IMO. She's also been a star on the CBS TV show "Scorpion."

I can testify to the fact that Kelly Clarkson has a great voice. I was in the recording studio when she recorded vocals for her 2004 album Breakaway, which has sold over 6 million units. It's a very good album. Hearing her isolated vocals live, in-studio was fantastic! This was the last session at Kevin Gilbert's Lawnmower & Garden Recording Studio before it was sold.
    Another great talent. I don't like everything I've heard from her, but she has some pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I didn't see it live in person, but the visual evidence suggests that Queen/Paul Rodgers offered a good live show. Rodgers is of course one of rock's best singers. It was the album The Cosmos Rocks which I thought was dreadful. I kept an open mind, played it 15-20 times or something but it was big-budget pub rock. Fell flat on its face commercially and in this instance, I think that was completely justified.
    Completely agree.

I do wish that they would record with Lambert, but I would think that the failure of this album with Rodgers would rule that out, at this point.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

sidenote: Katherine McPhee is engaged to David Foster/songwriter/entertainer.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm always surprised when my wife tells me two famous people are married to each other. Not surprised that people get married, but surprised in that I never heard about it. I don't expect to be invited to their weddings, but as far as I know they happen without publicity. Or maybe I'm just out of the loop. If people only publicize things on facebook or twitter, I'm unlikely to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    And another aspect of this is the Xmas music they play during December.
    I know a lot of people, myself included, who have nothing against Christmas music, but just hate the type of Christmas music they play in the stores. That kind is quite annoying. I don't know if it is supposed to make you want to spend money. It makes me want to leave the store just as fast as my feet can carry me. I have better holiday music at home, which I specifically obtain to have it be as different as possible from the kind they play in retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yeah. That's a little weird.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw that--Foster is 68 and McPhee is 34. Damnnn...

Saw that--Foster is 68 and McPhee is 34. Damnnn...
    Sounds like the Paul Simon/Edie Brickell plan. She was exactly half his age when they got married. Last I checked, they're still together, after something like 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah. That's a little weird.

Katherine McPhee posted this today on her twitter feed, and the response was... interesting.

Well......I just bought tickets for the Detroit show today. My sister really wants to go, and I thought, what the hell it should be fun.

I don't speak twitter. What's "ngl?"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't speak twitter. What's "ngl?"
    "not gonna lie"

The guy with the beard is actually younger than her husband.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    >So maybe Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and those other people are among the perpetrators I have to endure when I'm putting away the truck.

>>Oh, the horror!

I was quoting someone else - I'd never own a truck!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Idol has produced a few very talented people, McPhee, Clarkston, Hudson, and Underwood to name a few. Last weekend I saw 2013 winner Caleb Johnson singing with Trans Siberian Orchestra and he slayed the place. I had seen his solo band open for Black Stone Cherry last year, and the kid has got the goods, and is a major talent. He is one of the few hard rockers that have ever done well on Idol.
    And wasn't the District 97 lead singer Leslie ___ a contestant on Idol?

Leslie Hunt? Yes, she was.