Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst intros in Rock !

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But that's not actually an "intro" per sé, seeing as the whole piece is formatted as montage and thus consciously attempts to do precisely that - establish a sense of structural unity function through joint blocks of contrast. In other words, the opening doesn't serve purpose as intro but as a singular passage.
    Agree - its not an intro, but an integrated part of the track, whithout it, the next part wouldn't have the same impact.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Can anyone name a single one where the spoken intro adds value?
    "Vera Gemini" by Blue Oyster Cult comes to mind, only because I was just listening it. Not much of an intro, though.

Hendrix "EXP" from "Axis: Bold as Love."

I also like the Moodies intros.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Many will disagree but I love the DJ intro to Calling All Planets by The Carpenters...its goofy I know, but I love that little 'baby' at the end of it.
    I think Richard ad-libbed that.

The same DJ schtick from Tony Peluso is all over the 2nd side of their Now And Then album, as it's framed conceptually as an 'oldies station'...it works better there IMHO. The 'Calling Occupants...' one long outstayed its welcome for me.

I tend not to like spoken word sections generally, particularly not in progressive rock. The Moody Blues' ones are invariably cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Her version of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” is an utter travesty. Gimme Marvin and Tammi any day.

“Hey, you know what paradise is? It's a lie. A fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be. But you know what truth is? It's that little baby you're holding, and it's that man you fought with this morning, the same one you're going to make love with tonight. That's truth, that's LOVE!”

All right, that wasn’t an intro, but you get my meaning.
    Hate 'I've Never Been To Me', particularly that long 'moral majority' speech in the middle. But I love Diana Ross' 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough', an example of how you can take two hugely different approaches to the same song.

Or any song by any artist with a spoken intro, really. Can anyone name a single one where the spoken intro adds value?
    Manowar - Defender. Orson Welles nails it. Big time.

Or any song by any artist with a spoken intro, really. Can anyone name a single one where the spoken intro adds value? Remember those horrible Barry White intros? Ugh...
    Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited by the Move - leads perfectly into the song.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Can't say I'm a fan of the intro to Jethro Tull's Left Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Manowar - Defender. Orson Welles nails it. Big time.
    I also like the restored Wells' spoken intro to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" by Alan Parsons
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Rocky Raccoon" has a spoken intro that's not annoying. I do see how some might be bugged by it. Although, it's not something to be taken too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "Rocky Raccoon" has a spoken intro that's not annoying. I do see how some might be bugged by it. Although, it's not something to be taken too seriously.
    Well, that whole track is a throwaway, though.

I've Seen All Good People

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    An outright brilliant intro, to my ears; so completely off-kilter as obvious 'whim', yet so ultimately defining for that tune's function as album closer. Bizarre in many ways, though memorable in even more.
    I'm with you; I find it hard to imagine the song without that intro!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, that whole track is a throwaway, though.
    I'd not say that. Given I've been listening to the new White Album mix a lot, if there are songs I could do without?

Revolution 9
    Don't Pass Me By
    Honey Pie

Rocky Racoon may be a bit of a trifling song, but it's got a decent hook, is well sung and fits very well where it is, after Blackbird and Piggies.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'd not say that. Given I've been listening to the new White Album mix a lot, if there are songs I could do without?

Revolution 9
    Don't Pass Me By
    Honey Pie

Rocky Racoon may be a bit of a trifling song, but it's got a decent hook, is well sung and fits very well where it is, after Blackbird and Piggies.
    Don't Pass Me By? With the immortal lyric: "You were in a car crash and you lost your hair"?

I always thought the spoken word intro to Meatloaf's "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" was annoying. You know, the one that starts:

"On a hot summer night
    Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier. It's a decent song but a total WTF intro. Luckily, I can edit that shit out.

I also like the Moodies intros.
    But those are really separate tracks, they are entire poems that do lead into a track. But they stand on their own. I like them too...

Songs I don't like on the white album- 'Piggies' (the 'damn good whacking' bridge in particular I absolutely loathe), 'Don't Pass Me By', 'Savoy Truffle' and 'Honey Pie'. That's it.

I'm tempted to nominate' Genesis' 'Another Record' because that instrumental intro is effective and deceptive- the rest of the song is very bland.

I'm not over-fond of Man's 'Prelude'- a bit pompous for them. I absolutely adore 'The Storm' itself though...there's a slower live version on the anthology Keep On Crinting which is even better than the studio one, and it ditches the 'Prelude'. Wish it was on YouTube or something so people could hear it as I don't think it's ever been on anything else.

I also like the restored Wells' spoken intro to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" by Alan Parsons
    Agreed. Must be something about Wells' voice and cadence.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep.

Many around here bitched about it, though.

Is it 'restored'? I was under the impression that the Welles vocals were added years after the original release.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "We will sell no wine
    Before it's time"

Yeah, great voice, great cadence.

There's a great recording of outtakes from a commercial session that he did, where he's complaining about the copy they want him to read. Something to do with how you can't emphasize the word "in" in the phrase, "In spring" or something like that. He tells the director of the session he has no idea what he's doing, and that he wouldn't direct actors the way this guy was doing it. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Is it 'restored'? I was under the impression that the Welles vocals were added years after the original release.
    If I'm not mistaken, I thought it was originally supposed to be on it. It wasn't until the later release that they restored it. I could be mistaken.

EDIT: It turns out that you are correct. I clearly misremembered it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does an outro count? If so, the end of "Birthright" on the ABWH album, where Jon channels his inner Hispanic child while playing that stupid wood block thing. Maybe that's Bruford on the wood block, in which case it's awesome.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Or any song by any artist with a spoken intro, really. Can anyone name a single one where the spoken intro adds value? Remember those horrible Barry White intros? Ugh...
    I love that song more each time I hear it - there's nothing wrong with it.

Spill the Wine with Eric B

Alice Cooper's Black Widow
    APP's A Dream Within a Dream
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.