Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Peter Hammill The K Box

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    For me , the only down side to this band was the use of Syn-drums (I think thats the name) on the live albums -there are some irritating little ping-pong noises that date it terrribly.
    Used (IMHO) to great effect here:

    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  2. #27
    The MArgin is a very close second to Vital as the best live PH/VDG(G) album I think. Really powerful. The studio albums a bit flaccid compared to Sitting Targets but still good. PH completely lost me in the 90's, his voice went too, but some recent stuff has been v good, esp the VDGG ones

  3. #28
    Matt! polmico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    923
    Couldn't disagree more with "his voice went."

    It deepened, sure. But there's still range and depth and feeling. His vox never sound thin or weak, even on live albums.

    Spun Skin today for the first time in a while. It's a strong album.

    While obviously a product of its times (dig those synth horn blasts!), it somehow still transcends the sounds choices which should date it. "Now Lover" is actually one of my favorite all time PH songs.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    "Now Lover" is actually one of my favorite all time PH songs.
    Oh yes! Now imagine a VdGG version of that... At least in my head it sounds fantastic!

    Now seriously, I always thought this would be a perfect choice for the reformed VdGG to add to their live set list.



    Enviado de meu SM-J700M usando o Tapatalk
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

  5. #30
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    463
    Hmmm...I'll probably get this as long as the price isn't astronomical.
    The desert is not a rose.
    Softly goes the coda.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Couldn't disagree more with "his voice went."

    It deepened, sure. But there's still range and depth and feeling. His vox never sound thin or weak, even on live albums.

    Spun Skin today for the first time in a while. It's a strong album.

    While obviously a product of its times (dig those synth horn blasts!), it somehow still transcends the sounds choices which should date it. "Now Lover" is actually one of my favorite all time PH songs.
    I listened to Skin quite a lot earlier this year, just to see if I'd end up liking it more than I did before. Not sure that it made much of a difference, but I did find out I'd spent 30 years mishearing the lyric to 'Shell' as 'In an Etch-a-sketch we walk around the drawing of lines.' I think I prefer this version though, and will probably stick with it going forward.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrviana View Post
    Oh yes! Now imagine a VdGG version of that... At least in my head it sounds fantastic!

    Aren't most or all of them already on it?

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Aren't most or all of them already on it?
    True, actually I think they're all on it, somehow. But in the new liner notes for the remaster, Hammill explains that Hugh Banton's participation on this track was restricted to programming a patch on his DX7 (he called it "perfectly mad cello" or something like that). So he actually hasn't played anything. And that's exactly what I was thinking, if they were to play it live with the reformed VdGG, of course they would have replaced all the cheesy synths with Hugh Banton's glorious organ, and that would have given it a considerable upgrade... :-)
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •