Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: The Wall... filler?

  1. #1
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,597

    The Wall... filler?

    Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  2. #2
    I don't think anything should have been left off. There's not a song I dislike. However I do usually (I haven't listened to the album in a while) skip the more popular songs that got and still get the most radio play. I'm kind of sick of them. Another Brick pt 2, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell.

  3. #3
    I don't skip a thing. Great album all the way through including Vera! What has become of you?

  4. #4
    Even though I'm not crazy about it, I don't think there is any filler at all. Heck, I like the album of leftovers even better [emoji6]

    Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    I would also not skip anything. I heard the album so much that I got burned out on it, but I still think it is a classic just the way it is. I was working on a radio station when it came out. I remember sitting around in a dorm room with some friends analyzing every lyric and musical nuance of the album at the time. I came a bit late to Pink Floyd and other than the radio tracks like "Money" , "The Wall" was my first real introduction to the band, so it still holds a special place for me.

  6. #6
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    2,236
    First Pink Floyd record that did absolutely nothing for me. YMMV.
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    386
    I listened to it a ton when it was released, but I almost never revisit it today (unlike the 4 that preceded it which I still listen to regularly). 'Comfortably Numb' is a stone classic, but I really don't miss the rest.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  8. #8
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    2,681
    Not sure it could've been condensed down to a single album, but yeah, there were times where it wasn't progressing as fast as one (me) would've wished, and there were some WTF moments on it (but then again, two songs on Meddle are WTF tracks as well)

    I can try to reduce it down by bolding out the songs i would skip or delete, and/or reduce the length of others that are needlessly too long (IMHO), but try not to alter the overall storyline

    CD 1: 38:58
    1. In The Flesh? (3:17) >> could be shortened, IMHO
    2. The Thin Ice (2:28)
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (3:41)
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (1:20)

    5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (3:56)
    6. Mother (5:32) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky (2:48)
    8. Empty Spaces (5:36)>> could be shortened, IMHO
    9. Young Lust (2:03)
    10. One Of My Turns (1:33)
    11. Don't Leave Me Now (4:22) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    12. Another Brick In The Wall Part 3 (1:17)
    13. Goodbye Cruel World (1:05)

    CD 2: 40:43
    1. Hey You (4:39)
    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)

    6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time?
    7. The Show Must Go On (1:36)
    8. In The Flesh (4:16) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    9. Run Like Hell (4:22)
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)

    Nothe that I have done more or less similar exercice with The Lamb and come up with better results.

    I could do easy the same with Tommy or Quadrophenia.
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 08:50 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album.
    That's like removing chapters from a book. Sure, maybe from a musical perspective. But the songs tell a story. Why cut any of it out? I think it belongs intact.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  10. #10
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure it could've been condensed down to a single album, but yeah, there were times where it wasn't progressing as fast as one (me) would've wished, and there were some WTF moments on it (but then again, two songs on Meddle are WTF tracks as well)

    I can try to reduce it down by bolding out the songs i would skip or delete, and/or reduce the length of others that are needlessly too long (IMHO), but try not to alter the overall storyline

    CD 1: 38:58
    1. In The Flesh? (3:17) >> could be shortened, IMHO
    2. The Thin Ice (2:28)
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (3:41)
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (1:20)

    5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (3:56)
    6. Mother (5:32) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky (2:48)
    8. Empty Spaces (5:36)>> could be shortened, IMHO
    9. Young Lust (2:03)
    10. One Of My Turns (1:33)
    11. Don't Leave Me Now (4:22) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    12. Another Brick In The Wall Part 3 (1:17)
    13. Goodbye Cruel World (1:05)

    CD 2: 40:43
    1. Hey You (4:39)
    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)

    6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time?
    7. The Show Must Go On (1:36)
    8. In The Flesh (4:16) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    9. Run Like Hell (4:22)
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)

    Nothe that I have done more or less similar exercice with The Lamb and come up with better results.

    I could do easy the same with Tommy or Quadrophenia.
    y'know what huggy bear... I think you hit the nail on the head! I like that version you prescribe
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  11. #11
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

    CD 2: 40:43

    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)


    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)
    All skippable, for me. I realize that the last four are essential for the story, but they're just not good songs, and are indicative of the melody-less stuff Waters would do for much of the rest of his career.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  12. #12
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,035
    2. The Thin Ice (2:28)
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (3:41)
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (1:20)
    9. Young Lust (2:03)
    10. One Of My Turns (1:33)

    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)
    7. The Show Must Go On (1:36)
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)

    I could happily lose all those tracks
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #13
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,231
    Get a copy of audacity ( or your favorite music editing software ) and get to work.
    Make it yours.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

  14. #14
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Get a copy of audacity ( or your favorite music editing software ) and get to work.
    Make it yours.
    I just delete them off my iTunes
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  15. #15
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    2. The Thin Ice (2:28)
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (3:41)
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (1:20)
    9. Young Lust (2:03)
    10. One Of My Turns (1:33)

    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)
    7. The Show Must Go On (1:36)
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)

    I could happily lose all those tracks
    oof! not a fan eh?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  16. #16
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,606
    A year or two ago I saw the Floyd tribute band The Machine perform The Wall. IMO, they captured an energy that isn't apparent on parts of the studio album. It was amazing how well a track like "The Trial" worked live in a small theater setting.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  17. #17
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    483
    The song I skip is "Don't Leave Me Now." Not interested in hearing how the protagonist wants to beat up a woman.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

    6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time? .
    Well, if you cut out the guitar solos, it'd be about 3 minutes long, maybe shorter. But why in the wide world of sports would you do such a thing?! You'd have to be incredibly tasteless and/or a record company henchman to think it would be a good idea to cut a David Gilmour guitar solo.

  19. #19
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    8,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The song I skip is "Don't Leave Me Now." Not interested in hearing how the protagonist wants to beat up a woman.
    That's fine, I get that, as long as you apply the same criterion to all art forms (IMO). Personally, I allow an artist to create a character. Just as an example, Anthony Burgess's Alex in "A Clockwork Orange."
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

  20. #20
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's fine, I get that, as long as you apply the same criterion to all art forms (IMO). Personally, I allow an artist to create a character. Just as an example, Anthony Burgess's Alex in "A Clockwork Orange."
    Oh, I get that it's part of the Pink character, and that he's supposed to be unpleasant and all that. I'm not saying it's what Roger wanted to do, but it's just not that interesting a song for me (until the drums come in on the coda) and the subject matter squicks me too much make it worth it.

    I actually like the whole third side. I think it all flows well as a musical fever dream of homefront fetishism and a sincere desire not to see it happen again. And "Comfortably Numb" caps off the whole reverie nicely.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,065
    Only 'Vera' and 'Bring The Boys Back Home' could have been elbowed IMHO. They don't really fit, to my ears.

    On the other hand they had 'What Shall We Do Now' which was cut at the last minute...hence why it was included on the lyric insert. It also made the live performances and the film! The 'Empty Spaces' intro was kept but sped up to segue into 'Young Lust'. I'd have found another way of doing that and kept in 'What Shall We Do Now' as well...the latter lyric does delve into pointless rock star excess in a way that the other lyrics do not, so it fills a gap.

  22. #22
    I could easily do without half of it. The Trial, for example is boring and tedious.

    I liked The Wall when it first came out, but now I just listen to selected songs, like Hey You.

    It's nowhere near as good as Animals. (IMO)

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    753
    For me The Wall is mostly filler. I like Another Brick In The Wall, Hey You, Is There Anybody Out There & Comfortably Numb and forget the rest, I don't even own a copy anymore. Overall a very musically weak album, if only Gilmour's first solo album had been used for the music.

  24. #24
    For me, the album ends after "Run Like Hell".

  25. #25
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)

    I could happily lose all those tracks
    May I suggest you to relisten to these tracks both in and without the context, but without the first three quarter of the concept: they're brilliant


    Quote Originally Posted by jrdotcom View Post
    I could easily do without half of it. The Trial, for example is boring and tedious.

    It's nowhere near as good as Animals.
    As I said the Worms/Trial part is fantastic, but it suffers being on the fourth side, when you had enough of it. Same thing happens with all of side 4 of The Lamb.... but listening to only that side shows that Waters' Wall ends brilliantly, whereas The Lamb ends bored to death on Broadway.

    Furthermore, when listening to Welcome To The Machine, it prefigures (maybe not so involuntarily) The Wall, both sonically, but in the thematic... Though Waters wrote it about himself (following the spitting incident), I suspect he still had Sid's descent to hell in mind for parts of the story

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, if you cut out the guitar solos, it'd be about 3 minutes long, maybe shorter. But why in the wide world of sports would you do such a thing?! You'd have to be incredibly tasteless and/or a record company henchman to think it would be a good idea to cut a David Gilmour guitar solo.
    Don't cut out the solo, cut out the second verse/chorus as it's identical to the first... they bring nothing but length.

    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •