Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall... filler?

The Wall... filler?

Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't skip a thing. Great album all the way through including Vera! What has become of you?

Even though I'm not crazy about it, I don't think there is any filler at all. Heck, I like the album of leftovers even better [emoji6]

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    I would also not skip anything. I heard the album so much that I got burned out on it, but I still think it is a classic just the way it is. I was working on a radio station when it came out. I remember sitting around in a dorm room with some friends analyzing every lyric and musical nuance of the album at the time. I came a bit late to Pink Floyd and other than the radio tracks like "Money" , "The Wall" was my first real introduction to the band, so it still holds a special place for me.

First Pink Floyd record that did absolutely nothing for me. YMMV.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I listened to it a ton when it was released, but I almost never revisit it today (unlike the 4 that preceded it which I still listen to regularly). 'Comfortably Numb' is a stone classic, but I really don't miss the rest.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Not sure it could've been condensed down to a single album, but yeah, there were times where it wasn't progressing as fast as one (me) would've wished, and there were some WTF moments on it (but then again, two songs on Meddle are WTF tracks as well)

I can try to reduce it down by bolding out the songs i would skip or delete, and/or reduce the length of others that are needlessly too long (IMHO), but try not to alter the overall storyline

CD 1: 38:58
    1. In The Flesh? (3:17) >> could be shortened, IMHO
    2. The Thin Ice (2:28)
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1 (3:41)
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives (1:20)

5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (3:56)
    6. Mother (5:32) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky (2:48)
    8. Empty Spaces (5:36)>> could be shortened, IMHO
    9. Young Lust (2:03)
    10. One Of My Turns (1:33)
    11. Don't Leave Me Now (4:22) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    12. Another Brick In The Wall Part 3 (1:17)
    13. Goodbye Cruel World (1:05)

CD 2: 40:43
    1. Hey You (4:39)
    2. Is There Anybody Out There! (2:40)
    3. Nobody Home (3:25)
    4. Vera (1:38)
    5. Bring The Boys Back Home (0:50)

6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time?
    7. The Show Must Go On (1:36)
    8. In The Flesh (4:16) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    9. Run Like Hell (4:22)
    10. Waiting For The Worms (3:56)
    11. Stop (0:34)
    12. The Trial (5:16)
    13. Outside The Wall (1:42)

Nothe that I have done more or less similar exercice with The Lamb and come up with better results.

I could do easy the same with Tommy or Quadrophenia.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-29-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album.
    That's like removing chapters from a book. Sure, maybe from a musical perspective. But the songs tell a story. Why cut any of it out? I think it belongs intact.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure it could've been condensed down to a single album, but yeah, there were times where it wasn't progressing as fast as one (me) would've wished, and there were some WTF moments on it (but then again, two songs on Meddle are WTF tracks as well)

I can try to reduce it down by bolding out the songs i would skip or delete, and/or reduce the length of others that are needlessly too long (IMHO), but try not to alter the overall storyline

CD 1: 38:58
    1. In The Flesh? (3:17) >> could be shortened, IMHO

5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (3:56)
    6. Mother (5:32) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky (2:48)
    8. Empty Spaces (5:36)>> could be shortened, IMHO
    11. Don't Leave Me Now (4:22) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    12. Another Brick In The Wall Part 3 (1:17)
    13. Goodbye Cruel World (1:05)

1. Hey You (4:39)

6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time?
    8. In The Flesh (4:16) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO
    9. Run Like Hell (4:22)

Nothe that I have done more or less similar exercice with The Lamb and come up with better results.

I could do easy the same with Tommy or Quadrophenia.
    y'know what huggy bear... I think you hit the nail on the head! I like that version you prescribe
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All skippable, for me. I realize that the last four are essential for the story, but they're just not good songs, and are indicative of the melody-less stuff Waters would do for much of the rest of his career.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

I could happily lose all those tracks
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Get a copy of audacity ( or your favorite music editing software ) and get to work.
    Make it yours.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Get a copy of audacity ( or your favorite music editing software ) and get to work.
    Make it yours.
    I just delete them off my iTunes
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

oof! not a fan eh?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A year or two ago I saw the Floyd tribute band The Machine perform The Wall. IMO, they captured an energy that isn't apparent on parts of the studio album. It was amazing how well a track like "The Trial" worked live in a small theater setting.

The song I skip is "Don't Leave Me Now." Not interested in hearing how the protagonist wants to beat up a woman.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

6. Comfortably Numb (6:49) >> twice the length it needs to be, IMHO >> did it need to go around a second time? .
    Well, if you cut out the guitar solos, it'd be about 3 minutes long, maybe shorter. But why in the wide world of sports would you do such a thing?! You'd have to be incredibly tasteless and/or a record company henchman to think it would be a good idea to cut a David Gilmour guitar solo.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The song I skip is "Don't Leave Me Now." Not interested in hearing how the protagonist wants to beat up a woman.
    That's fine, I get that, as long as you apply the same criterion to all art forms (IMO). Personally, I allow an artist to create a character. Just as an example, Anthony Burgess's Alex in "A Clockwork Orange."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's fine, I get that, as long as you apply the same criterion to all art forms (IMO). Personally, I allow an artist to create a character. Just as an example, Anthony Burgess's Alex in "A Clockwork Orange."
    Oh, I get that it's part of the Pink character, and that he's supposed to be unpleasant and all that. I'm not saying it's what Roger wanted to do, but it's just not that interesting a song for me (until the drums come in on the coda) and the subject matter squicks me too much make it worth it.

I actually like the whole third side. I think it all flows well as a musical fever dream of homefront fetishism and a sincere desire not to see it happen again. And "Comfortably Numb" caps off the whole reverie nicely.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Only 'Vera' and 'Bring The Boys Back Home' could have been elbowed IMHO. They don't really fit, to my ears.

On the other hand they had 'What Shall We Do Now' which was cut at the last minute...hence why it was included on the lyric insert. It also made the live performances and the film! The 'Empty Spaces' intro was kept but sped up to segue into 'Young Lust'. I'd have found another way of doing that and kept in 'What Shall We Do Now' as well...the latter lyric does delve into pointless rock star excess in a way that the other lyrics do not, so it fills a gap.

I could easily do without half of it. The Trial, for example is boring and tedious.

I liked The Wall when it first came out, but now I just listen to selected songs, like Hey You.

It's nowhere near as good as Animals. (IMO)

For me The Wall is mostly filler. I like Another Brick In The Wall, Hey You, Is There Anybody Out There & Comfortably Numb and forget the rest, I don't even own a copy anymore. Overall a very musically weak album, if only Gilmour's first solo album had been used for the music.

For me, the album ends after "Run Like Hell".

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

May I suggest you to relisten to these tracks both in and without the context, but without the first three quarter of the concept: they're brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by jrdotcom View Post
    I could easily do without half of it. The Trial, for example is boring and tedious.

It's nowhere near as good as Animals.
    As I said the Worms/Trial part is fantastic, but it suffers being on the fourth side, when you had enough of it. Same thing happens with all of side 4 of The Lamb.... but listening to only that side shows that Waters' Wall ends brilliantly, whereas The Lamb ends bored to death on Broadway.

Furthermore, when listening to Welcome To The Machine, it prefigures (maybe not so involuntarily) The Wall, both sonically, but in the thematic... Though Waters wrote it about himself (following the spitting incident), I suspect he still had Sid's descent to hell in mind for parts of the story

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, if you cut out the guitar solos, it'd be about 3 minutes long, maybe shorter. But why in the wide world of sports would you do such a thing?! You'd have to be incredibly tasteless and/or a record company henchman to think it would be a good idea to cut a David Gilmour guitar solo.
    Don't cut out the solo, cut out the second verse/chorus as it's identical to the first... they bring nothing but length.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Though Waters wrote it about himself (following the spitting incident), I suspect he still had Sid's descent to hell in mind for parts of the story
    Actually, Roger has said that "Pink" is a composite of various people. Yes a lot of it is from his own life, but some bits are from other people. It's been said that in Nobody Home, "I've got a silver spoon on a chain/I've got a piano/to prop up/my mortal remains" is actually about Rick Wright.

And Roger said that the bit in the movie where that's shot of Bob Geldof sitting in the chair in front of the TV, with cigarette in his hand, with the ash all the way down to the nuckle, well, that apparently was something that happened regularly with Syd. At least one of the band's associates from their early days found the movie unbearable, because Geldof nailed Syd so perfectly, that they couldn't watch.
    Don't cut out the solo, cut out the second verse/chorus as it's identical to the first... they bring nothing but length.
    Well, the verse and chorus are two different parts of a song, so I don't know what you mean by "verse/chorus". I'm assuming you mean the bits that Gilmour sings. But the lyrics aren't any more repetitious than any other song. Lots of songs repeat the same words in the pre-chorus or the chorus, that's kind of what you have hear. I wouldn't change a damn thing about Comfortably Numb, except maybe extend the fade out so we can hear more of the ride out guitar solo (assuming there is more, for all we know the backing track ran out two bars after the fade out).