Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Wall... filler?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Can drum solo's be classified as filler?
    Depends on the drummer. If your name isn't Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Elvin Jones, Rashied Ali, Tony Williams, Joe Morello, Gene Krupa, or the guy who played on Aja (Steve Gadd?), then yeah probably.

If it's 10 minutes or more in length, and involves either playing the drums with your hands or the drum riser being rotated around so the drummer is hanging upside down, then definitely.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-04-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I only return to "Mother" and "CN".
    actually, it's two of three Wall "hit songs) that I could do without never hearing them again (Brick2 being the third)

other hits I can still hear without zapping away: Run Like Hell and Hey You

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    By the way, any song with a title like "Another Brick In The Wall" is bound to be a filler.
    good one

absofuckinglutely, unless they're under 10 seconds long.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

And what about drum fills?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    All of them, without exception.
    I always liked Phil & Chester's duets. But otherwise, absolutely.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I always liked Phil & Chester's duets. But otherwise, absolutely.
    Beat me to it. Biggest disappointment was seeing ABWH and when Bruford did his solo. After a bunch more concerts, realized Phil and Chester were the exception and not the rule.

Filler? Roger said he had enough material for 3LP's.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Filler? Roger said he had enough material for 3LP's.
    Good material?
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All of them, without exception.
    Another exception is Ringo's solo on Abbey Road. I've seen some videos where Paul, George, & Ringo all comment (separately) that Ringo never did solos because he didn't care for them. His bandmates encouraged him this one time. How many people of our generation can (& do) replicate that solo whenever it's heard? Brilliant!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Another exception is Ringo's solo on Abbey Road. I've seen some videos where Paul, George, & Ringo all comment (separately) that Ringo never did solos because he didn't care for them. His bandmates encouraged him this one time. How many people of our generation can (& do) replicate that solo whenever it's heard? Brilliant!
    It was also the first album where his drum heads were not plastic.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Good material?
    Man, you're picky.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Man, you're picky.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good material?
    a lot of it ended up on The Final Cut.
    maybe that's why TFC was criticized, more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    a lot of it ended up on The Final Cut.
    maybe that's why TFC was criticized, more of the same.
    More of the same but not as good, and seeing as I'm one of the people who think The Wall could have been a great single LP that makes TFC pretty third rate.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    Vera is one of the best tracks on the album.

I'd been meaning to revisit The Wall as a result of this thread, and since I'm going to see The Wall Live Extravaganza next week with some friends, I figured I better get off my lazy heinie and do it! So I gave it a spin yesterday while doing a big painting project. I have to say, it held together a lot better for me on this listen than I had remembered. I always felt sides 1 & 2 were pretty solid, but that aside from a few tracks, sides 3 & 4 kind of fell apart a bit. I feel less that way now.

Sidestepping the whole semantic argument about "filler," the only tracks I'd cut are those I feel don't really serve to push the story along, and I don't think are particular strong musically either - basically Vera and Bring the Boys Back Home. IMO, nothing is lost by cutting these, and I don't see how they fit in that particular spot on the album, though I'm open to explanations of why they might.

There are moments of the album I'm not so fond of, like Is There Anybody Out There?/Nobody Home, which I feel is not strong musically and is somewhat redundant at that point from a story perspective given we're already established Pink's isolation and failure to reestablish contact outside his shell (Hey You). But at least they make a certain amount of sense and show Pink's struggle, even after he's all but capitulated.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I always felt like the transition between Pink going AWOL on drugs in the hotel room (side 3) and The Trial section (side 4) was clumsy. I get what Roger was trying to say, but it seemed like he was trying to force a political metaphor into a story of a burned-out rock star.
    I can understand this, and agree it isn't as smoothly done as I would like either. But I don't consider this part of the album "filler" because the more I understand about the origins of The Wall, this "political metaphor" is at the very heart of why the piece was written. So dispensing with this stuff subverts much of the message of the results of the kind of alienation from which Pink is suffering which is, like it or not, what Waters was really trying to deal with. But I agree that on the album this connection isn't as well done as it could have been, and it's really the movie that helps this connection come alive. There are other times I think the movie helps in understanding the album, and I believe the two are needed together to really get the full point of the work.

Finally, I've always loved The Trial and feel it delivers a true ending to this epic that I always though Lamb Lies Down on Broadway severely lacks. So no "filler" vote on that track for me.

In the end, I have to say The Wall is better overall than I'd remembered, and I may give it one more spin before next week's show.

Bill

Never cared much for The Wall except for Gilmour’s flirtations with Nile Rodgers style guitar, which sounds fantastic, and Comfortably Numb, which is undeniably a great song even though I’d be happy if I never heard it again The Wall is wildly overrated, IMO, and I wonder if the lackluster material was somewhat propped up by the movie (even though I find the movie even worse than the album). To me PF peaked with Meddle, and the more control Waters got, the worse the music got. Sorry.

^^ You're not a fan of Wish you were here or Animals? I return to those more than I do DSotM. Animals is where PF pretty much ended for me. I used to listen to The Wall once in a blue moon but haven't in years.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    ^^ You're not a fan of Wish you were here or Animals? I return to those more than I do DSotM. Animals is where PF pretty much ended for me. I used to listen to The Wall once in a blue moon but haven't in years.
    Same here. Floyd ending with Meddle is certainly not a rare opinion, but ending with DSOTM is pretty unusual.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I was coming back, upon reflecting on the post you're referring to, that Animals the peak of Pink Floyd's catalog. Utterly brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was coming back, upon reflecting on the post you're referring to, that Animals the peak of Pink Floyd's catalog. Utterly brilliant!
    I wouldn't argue with you on that one. Maybe it's just because of my contrarian ways, i.e. preferring the records that others seem to pass over (e.g. Axis: Bold As Love, The Who By Numbers, etc), but Animals has always been my favorite, even if it "only" made it to number 3 on the US charts at the time. For me, the peak is Wish You Were and Animals, those are the two I listen to more than anything else, I don't even have The Wall or Dark Side Of The Moon on CD.

BTW, speaking of Animals, on his most recent tour, I know Roger played Pigs (3 Different Ones). I unfortunately missed the tour when it came through town, so I wonder: did he play the entire song, similar to how it appears on the album, or did he do a truncated arrangement, as per the 3 minute deal he did on the Radio KAOS tour (which as I recall, consisted of just the vocal sections, with the instrumental bits at the beginning, middle and ride out discarded).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wouldn't argue with you on that one. Maybe it's just because of my contrarian ways, i.e. preferring the records that others seem to pass over (e.g. Axis: Bold As Love, The Who By Numbers, etc), but Animals has always been my favorite, even if it "only" made it to number 3 on the US charts at the time. For me, the peak is Wish You Were and Animals, those are the two I listen to more than anything else, I don't even have The Wall or Dark Side Of The Moon on CD.

BTW, speaking of Animals, on his most recent tour, I know Roger played Pigs (3 Different Ones). I unfortunately missed the tour when it came through town, so I wonder: did he play the entire song, similar to how it appears on the album, or did he do a truncated arrangement, as per the 3 minute deal he did on the Radio KAOS tour (which as I recall, consisted of just the vocal sections, with the instrumental bits at the beginning, middle and ride out discarded).
    I think I'm with you on Pink Floyd. Animals is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Of all the albums by Roger Waters (solo and the last 2 PF albums with him) where he insists on complete control with little band input, this one is my favorite by far. Though so many times I hear people saying that it could've been a great single album. Personally, the only tune I skip is Vera. Which tunes are the ones you think need to be left off?
    Most of it should have been left off, IMO. One of Pink Floyd's weaker albums.

The version of The Wall that I use is:

1. In The Flesh?
    2. The Thin Ice
    3. Another Brick In The Wall Part 1
    4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
    5. Another Brick In The Wall Part 2
    6. Mother
    7. Goodbye Blue Sky
    8. Young Lust
    9. Hey You
    10. Comfortably Numb
    11. Run Like Hell

I also have a customized track order, for the purpose of destroying any story continuity (the "story" in The Wall is lousy and a distraction from some good songs that are better when divorced from the "story.").

TBH, I haven't owned a CD version of the studio album (I still have the vinyl, I believe), but I own the Is There Anybody Out There live boxset (with the extra track not on the album) and the film DVD (which also features the extra opening track), and in the last three decades, I have gotten more mileage out of both than the studio version since acquring them around the millenium than the original studio version (which is basically zero)...
    Despite having seen the movie a dozen times back then on midnight local silver screens , I still return to it from time to time for certain scenes, especially the Hey You footage that was left out of the original film.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Despite having seen the movie a dozen times back then on midnight local silver screens , I still return to it from time to time for certain scenes, especially the Hey You footage that was left out of the original film.
    What is the Hey You footage that was left off the original film? I saw the film in US theaters twice when it was first released, and bought the US VHS release as soon as it was out. Is there Hey You footage I haven't seen?

I haven't seen the film in ages but have been wanting to buy a copy, so is there one out there that's more complete? Or no longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I haven't owned a CD version of the studio album (I still have the vinyl, I believe), but I own the Is There Anybody Out There live boxset (with the extra track not on the album)
    I think the live version might be its best realisation, in some ways- the whole thing is more fleshed-out, not least because of the inclusion of 'What Shall We Do Now'.