Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Prog Album Of All Time (excluding the Big 6)

Iffervescent Snot by The Brewtl Blackox. Concept triple sympho anti-avanti with five very old and mentally disturbed women on 'tron, a very young trans person on bass sax and Roland TR 808 on percussives. It's called 'percussives', because this makes it sound a bit more refined than just 'percussion' and it's extremely important to refine things when it comes to prog, this in order to stress how it's always highly complex. In fact it's so highly complex that most people (except for the listening elite snob aristocracy) can't/won't/don't understand it at all. This is the main reason why prog was never inducted into and/or accepted at most Academic Music Institutions around the globe; practitioners there only make stupid sounds as they go along, whereas prog is much, much, much too complex.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Big" is a term commonly used about artist to denote success/popularity/visibility etc. Gentle Giant were huge in the 70s, but they were probably only bigger than Pink Floyd for one year, 1973. I still recall the picture of Giant on the cover of Rolling Stone with the caption "Giant Killers Conquer America." I was too young, but my friend's older brother still talks about catching the Giant at one of their 3 night sellout run at Soldier Field.
    Were Gentle Giant really that big in the States? Bigger than Pink Floyd at any time? I'm presuming you're either kidding or mistaken about 1973...the year PF released Dark Side of the Moon...

I was around in the '70s in the UK, worked in a record shop, and Gentle Giant were extremely niche. The only reason I really noticed them was because of the Roger Dean album covers.

Since the OP isn't including PF as one of the big 6, then I'll go with DSOTM.

If Floyd is in the big 6, then I would say Spock's Beard - X
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Out of my collection it would probably be Leftoverture or the UK debut...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Interesting. I never knew they had been on the cover of Rolling Stone. Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

I guess my perception of Gentle Giant not being as big as the other bands is, I guess, somehow, they sort of slipped out of visibility during the 80's. Yeah, they broke up, I know, but even the individual band members seemed to disappear off the face of the Earth. No solo albums, no forming new bands, etc.

So, those of us who grew up in the 80's, and initially knew of the then contemporary works of Yes, Crimson, Genesis, etc (or even Asia and GTR...I'm young enough that my initial knowledge of Yes, Crimson, and ELP was they were names on the resumes of the members of Asia), there's no equivalency for Gentle Giant. I think I heard them mentioned here and there a couple times, in Keyboard magazine and a couple other places, but it really wasn't until the 90's that I ever heard any of their music.

So in a way, in my mind, at least, Gentle Giant belongs more in the same level as VDGG, Hatfield And The North, Caravan, the Italian bands, etc, though I fully realize that for those who are even just a few years older than me, that might not be the case.

(come to think of it, I think I might have heard of VDGG and Hatfields before I heard of Gentle Giant, as I remember a kid I knew in the tenth grade, that'd be 88-89, telling me about VDGG, and Steve Stevens mentioned PFM, Hatfields, and Flash in a piece he wrote for Guitar World magazine about his favorite prog rock records)

And my apologies for derailing the discussion by asking my initial question. I just know there's a lot of debate of exactly who the "big bands" were of progressive rock, though the responses indicate a level of obviousness that had escaped me at the time of asking. Maybe I was thinking too much about the Doctor Who DVD's, Blind Lemon Jefferson CD's and Uriah Heep t-shirts I was waiting for in the post at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Were Gentle Giant really that big in the States? Bigger than Pink Floyd at any time? I'm presuming you're either kidding or mistaken about 1973...the year PF released Dark Side of the Moon...

I was around in the '70s in the UK, worked in a record shop, and Gentle Giant were extremely niche. The only reason I really noticed them was because of the Roger Dean album covers.
    Last I'll say about this in deference to Ian, and others who tire of the subject, (probably most here,) but I'm just having some facetious fun guys. Trying to use absurdity to point out the disparity between GG and the Big Six. Your perception of their stature is spot on, Chris. As for the Big Six, I suppose one could argue that King Crimson was not commercially successful enough to be lumped in with the other 5, but the commercial success of that group is a curve anyway, with Genesis and especially Crimson being significantly behind the other 4 during the Prog-Rock period. As for Rush, an argument can certainly be made for their inclusion in that group, the problem is that they might fit into the Hard Rock category even better than they do the Prog-Rock category. Nonetheless, they had the requisite success, and as I say, an argument could be made.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Edit: I purposely picked 1973, as it was the year the Floyd released one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
    +1

But it is an impossible choice really.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post

Yes, it is ludicrous to even compare GG with the vast commercial success of PF. GG only had 4 albums barely break the Billboard 100 with Free Hand by far the most successful in the US peaking VERY briefly at #48 in 1975 before sinking without a trace. They were entirely absent from the US charts in 1973 and I can assure you that the typical PF fan had never heard of GG either then or now. In fact back, apart from a few like-minded friends, back in the day I NEVER met a single person outside of a concert situation or employee/proprietors at a couple of record stores that had ever heard of them!

They may even be better known now than in their heyday but at a time when PF could fill stadiums, GG were playing smaller clubs and venues in the US unless they were opening for a (then) mainstream act. I can still remember kids in High School looking at my GG shirt and laughingly asking "Who the fuck is that?". Jeesh, I guess next somebody will claim that Univers Zero filled stadiums in Montana in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Last I'll say about this in deference to Ian, and others who tire of the subject, (probably most here,) but I'm just having some facetious fun guys. Trying to use absurdity to point out the disparity between GG and the Big Six. Your perception of their stature is spot on, Chris. As for the Big Six, I suppose one could argue that King Crimson was not commercially successful enough to be lumped in with the other 5, but the commercial success of that group is a curve anyway, with Genesis and especially Crimson being significantly behind the other 4 during the Prog-Rock period. As for Rush, an argument can certainly be made for their inclusion in that group, the problem is that they might fit into the Hard Rock category even better than they do the Prog-Rock category. Nonetheless, they had the requisite success, and as I say, an argument could be made.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Edit: I purposely picked 1973, as it was the year the Floyd released one of the biggest selling albums of all time.
    Thanks...yes it did go slightly over my head as I've seen GG touted as one of the big 5/6/7 many times on here over the years. I guess the PF thing should have been the giveaway, and it kind of was...

BTW, it is Big 5 and it consists of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. Just to avoid any further arguments...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would just say pick your Big 6 to who you think is on the list. I would say, on reflection (get the pun), GG could be replaced with Pink Floyd.

Still, try to pick just one!

The Big Six can have 7 or 8 members or even 5.

The Big Ten has twelve schools.

The Big Twelve has ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

The Big Twelve has ten.
    And the Big East has or had schools in it from the Midwest.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The Big Twelve has ten.

The Big Twelve has ten.
    And Aerosmith has a Big 10 Inch Record.

I say we widen the field to the Big Two Dozen. That'll really force people to find some obscure choices!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Big 8
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Genesis
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Rush
    Yes

Fringe
    Gentle Giant
    Renaissance

Outside the Big 10
    Camel
    Caravan
    Nektar
    Soft Machine
    Van der Graaf Generator

Kansas - Masque
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Iffervescent Snot by The Brewtl Blackox. Concept triple sympho anti-avanti with five very old and mentally disturbed women on 'tron, a very young trans person on bass sax and Roland TR 808 on percussives. It's called 'percussives', because this makes it sound a bit more refined than just 'percussion' and it's extremely important to refine things when it comes to prog, this in order to stress how it's always highly complex. In fact it's so highly complex that most people (except for the listening elite snob aristocracy) can't/won't/don't understand it at all. This is the main reason why prog was never inducted into and/or accepted at most Academic Music Institutions around the globe; practitioners there only make stupid sounds as they go along, whereas prog is much, much, much too complex.
    I've heard this one. It's over-rated.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big 6
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Genesis
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Yes

Fringe
    Gentle Giant
    Rush
    Soft Machine
    Van der Graaf Generator

Outside the Big 10
    Camel
    Caravan
    Nektar
    Renaissance
    Kansas
    Hatfield
    Henry Cow
    Univers Zero
    Marillion
    IQ
    Dream Theater
    Mahavishnu
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Big Six. But is it prog?

U.K. s/t
    I still kick myself for passing on seeing the tour. One of my life’s biggest regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawn Hearts, but it's a close race with Iffervecent Snot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    U.K. s/t
    I still kick myself for passing on seeing the tour. One of my life’s biggest regrets.

I was aware of the band, but not the tour. They played a small venue in Painesville, which would have been easy to get to. It was a gut punch when I found out years later.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    U.K. s/t

Their first visit to my area was in a night club with a bar, the Paradise, documented in the Ultimate Collector's box--but I was only 17 and couldn't get in.
    I caught them on the return leg of the tour 3 months later at the Orpheum, though.

U.K. s/t

I remember there was a band at the time called 'U.K. Squeeze' I think, never heard them, but there were ones more of the punk ilk at UK expecting UK Squeeze. The show was very well received, though! I think many UK Squeeze fans were impressed

I also remember the back up band was called 'Cathedral', but not the Cathedal we know and love, played top-40 hits and got booed off the stage. Felt bad for them.

PFM - The World Became The World

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I remember there was a band at the time called 'U.K. Squeeze' I think, never heard them, but there were ones more of the punk ilk at UK expecting UK Squeeze. The show was very well received, though! I think many UK Squeeze fans were impressed
    Seriously? You've never heard Squeeze? If you've never heard Tempted? Or Black Coffee In Bed? My GODDESS, what rock have you been living under?!

Seriously, the "UK Squeeze" name was used for legal reasons (much like The English Beat, Charlatans UK, and Wham UK), on the US edition of their first album only. Apparently, there was an American band called Tight Squeeze, so they were trying to avoid confusion/legal hassles. Or whatever.