Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Prog Album Of All Time (excluding the Big 6)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm just impressed with everyone's approach to focus on lesser known or recognized prog acts and the fact we didn't get mired down in endless debate on who is the big 6. I think it the effort to isolate only one desert island disc that you would bring with you off a burning ship that is most admirable! I'm also amazed by the diversity of selections here and hints for me to follow up on helpful leads. If you can't pick one, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm just impressed with everyone's approach to focus on lesser known or recognized prog acts and the fact we didn't get mired down in endless debate on who is the big 6. I think it the effort to isolate only one desert island disc that you would bring with you off a burning ship that is most admirable! I'm also amazed by the diversity of selections here and hints for me to follow up on helpful leads. If you can't pick one, no problem.
    Yeah, it was a fun exercise and I too have enjoyed the thread! I realized I overlooked the first UK album in my choice when other mentioned it, but I was trying to think beyond the "big names," which I felt was where you wanted to go.

Bill

Acually, I th1nk we spent way too much time about commenting about the big 5/6/7/8/whatever

My choices here were actually including the biggies - partly because I know by heart a sizeable amount of those widely-known classic albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Non-Big 6? Hmmm...you can't have just one. It's like eating chocolate.

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
    Stormcock - Roy Harper
    In A Glass House - Gentle Giant
    Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
    Per un amico - PFM
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stormcock is a great pick, adore that album.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Acually, I th1nk we spent way too much time about commenting about the big 5/6/7/8/whatever

My choices here were actually including the biggies - partly because I know by heart a sizeable amount of those widely-known classic albums
    Trane, you raise a good point but I meant the thread didn't get bogged down. People are still posting their favourites!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
    Stormcock - Roy Harper

ooooh, I wish I'd thought of Low Spark, but it's not as perfect as my other picks, because of Light Up, which I fond annoying.

Stormcock is a top 50 for me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I haven’t responded because Black Market is what comes to mind, and I figured Weather Report to be at least partially outside of prog perimeters. But, if Traffic makes the cut, I reckon it’s okay.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    I haven’t responded because Black Market is what comes to mind, and I figured Weather Report to be at least partially outside of prog perimeters. But, if Traffic makes the cut, I reckon it’s okay.
    I believe it is generally accepted that Traffic albums like Low Spark and John Barleycorn are prog rock. Adding Weather Report in the convo is no big deal, particularly considering the fluidity of the music scene in the mid-70s, and Weather Report alums like Jaco Pastorius and Chester Thompson jamming with anyone from Ian Hunter to Joni Mitchell to Genesis and Zappa.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I always regarded progressive jazz fusion ala Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc definitely a wing of the overall broad category "progressive rock".

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I always regarded progressive jazz fusion ala Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc definitely a wing of the overall broad category "progressive rock".
    I always thought of Genesis/Yes as the overall category/class of sympho-lympho. Although there are sympho-lympho artists I don't really like that much, I'm pretty much a sympho-lympho phanatic king of guy. It's an absolutt inkredipel kind of supreme rock'n'roll.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I always thought of Genesis/Yes as the overall category/class of sympho-lympho. Although there are sympho-lympho artists I don't really like that much, I'm pretty much a sympho-lympho phanatic king of guy. It's an absolutt inkredipel kind of supreme rock'n'roll.
    That's fascinating.

Bill Nelson - Secret Club For Members Only

SCHICKE & FÜHRS & FRÖHLING - SYMPHONIC PICTURES

No surprise here, Magma Kohntarkosz. Enorme!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

With desert island like threads, I guess double albums are nice since they have more time on them. Kraan Live or Agharta/Miles Davis maybe ok gun to the head picks. For single albums, Alquin Mountain Queen, 1st Trettioariga Kriget or Darryl Way’s Wolf are near the top. Being a promiscuous consumer/not actually having to limit the menu is half the fun sometimes.

Somehow I missed this thread before now. This is a tough one...

I think either Per Un Amico, or the first Matching Mole. Both carry a lot of emotional significance for me.

Too difficult to decide!

jazz fusion, 80s, synth tommy_n_chucky's Avatar

Triumvirat ~ Spartacus

Spartacus is the third album by the German group Triumvirat. It is a concept album based on Spartacus, the Thracian gladiator who led the 3rd slave uprising in 73–71 BC. The lyrics were written by Hans Bathelt, with contributions by Jürgen Fritz.

This album is faultless! That's deep! They could not have done better! All the songs are excellent. Reminds me EMERSON LAKE & PALMER, with a better sound. The instruments are less in the background and the songs are more melodic: so the album is very dynamic: actually, quite more dynamic than ELP! Thi record is one of the most dynamic albums ever listened!! You understand it when you turn up the volume!! I also like the fact that all the instruments are very well played and no one looks like ordinary or irrelevant. The second part of "Spartacus" reach the quintescence. The keyboards are the main force of this album, but the drums and bass must not be neglected. Even the classical guitar parts are essential!! The album also has a couples of smooth songs, which are really well made; they give you a feeling of hope, strength and pride. The keyboards performance is absolutely outstanding and it's even sometimes quite jazzy!!!!!!!!

EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED!!

~ review by greenback on ProgArchives

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. The Capital Of Power (3:13)
    2. The School Of Instant Pain (6:22)
    - a. Proclamation
    - b. The Gladiator's Song
    - c. Roman Entertainment
    - d. The Battle
    3. The Walls Of Doom (3:56)
    4. The Deadly Dream Of Freedom (3:54)
    5. The Hazy Shades Of Dawn (3:09)
    6. The Burning Sword Of Capua (2:41)
    7. The Sweetest Sound Of Liberty (2:35)
    8. The March To The Eternal City (8:46)
    - a. Dusty Road
    - b. Italian Improvisation
    - c. First Success
    9. Spartacus (7:38)
    - a. The Superior Force of Rome
    - b. A Broken Dream
    - c. The Finale

Line-up / Musicians

- Jürgen Fritz / electric & grand pianos, Hammond organ, Moog & ARP String synths, producer
    - Helmut Köllen / bass, acoustic & electric guitars, vocals
    - Hans Bathelt / drums, percussion
    ღ•。* ♥✰˚★* your Ctrl-V Whore brought to you by Clipmate ღ•。* ♥✰˚★* 。ღ
    °º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪♫♪ ~ Choose Reality ~ °º¤ø,¸♫♪♫♪¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø♫♪♫♪

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Somehow I missed this thread before now. This is a tough one...

I think either Per Un Amico, or the first Matching Mole. Both carry a lot of emotional significance for me.

Too difficult to decide!
    I'm listening to the first Matching Mole right now. First time.

I'm listening to the first Matching Mole right now. First time.
    Wow, for real?!

I hope you like it!

The opening track "O Caroline" completely hooked me the first time I heard it. Absolutely love Dave Sinclair's piano on that one. And then there's "Signed Curtain", which is profoundly sad actually.

But then "Part Of The Dance" is so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I have similar feelings.

But I have, as my top level category, "Progressive Music". Then, under that top level, there are other categories.

So, for me, fusion isn't a subcategory of prog rock. But they are both subcategories of Progressive Music.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
    Or
    Arena - Double Vision
    Or
    Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds

Michael Bolton - The One thing (with the slight reservation that it could be Big 6)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Michael Bolton - The One thing (with the slight reservation that it could be Big 6)
    Only about half of that album is truly Prog proper. At least not more than ca. 61%. Of course, if you'd added more galactic/symbolic cover art, a bit more string synth, somewhat longer songs, emotional guitar solos and a production job by Trevor Horn's distant cousin Neddy's nephew Ralph, that would definitely redeem things and the musical outcome would absolutely become more overtly Prog.

John Williams' soundtrack to Schindler's List with rock drums added. Great Prog rock.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Gentle Giant - Octopus
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone