Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Your Favourite Prog Album Of All Time (excluding the Big 6)

Too many favorites to choose just one.
    I would be happy with my collection on shuffle forever.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    England - Garden Shed
    I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

...but do revisit and let us know what you think.
    About Interview, yes, it's much better than I remembered, particularly side 2. The arrangements and production appear to me a bit dry, and the first traces of commercialization creep in, but on the whole it's good, old Gentle Giant.
    But I wouldn't put it on the same level with the first 5 albums. I don't see the same level of creativity and inspiration in Interview.

Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall.

Since we have etablished that Gentle Giant isn't a big 6, for live album (or just about any album live or studio) I'll go with Playing the Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Since we have etablished that Gentle Giant isn't a big 6, for live album (or just about any album live or studio) I'll go with Playing the Fool.
    For what it's worth, I recall former Triumph guitarist Rik Emmett citing Playing The Fool as one of his favorite live albums.

Unfair to include live albums! Hard enough to pick a fav studio album

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm just impressed with everyone's approach to focus on lesser known or recognized prog acts and the fact we didn't get mired down in endless debate on who is the big 6. I think it the effort to isolate only one desert island disc that you would bring with you off a burning ship that is most admirable! I'm also amazed by the diversity of selections here and hints for me to follow up on helpful leads. If you can't pick one, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm just impressed with everyone's approach to focus on lesser known or recognized prog acts and the fact we didn't get mired down in endless debate on who is the big 6. I think it the effort to isolate only one desert island disc that you would bring with you off a burning ship that is most admirable! I'm also amazed by the diversity of selections here and hints for me to follow up on helpful leads. If you can't pick one, no problem.
    Yeah, it was a fun exercise and I too have enjoyed the thread! I realized I overlooked the first UK album in my choice when other mentioned it, but I was trying to think beyond the "big names," which I felt was where you wanted to go.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Acually, I th1nk we spent way too much time about commenting about the big 5/6/7/8/whatever

My choices here were actually including the biggies - partly because I know by heart a sizeable amount of those widely-known classic albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Non-Big 6? Hmmm...you can't have just one. It's like eating chocolate.

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
    Stormcock - Roy Harper
    In A Glass House - Gentle Giant
    Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
    Per un amico - PFM
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stormcock is a great pick, adore that album.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Acually, I th1nk we spent way too much time about commenting about the big 5/6/7/8/whatever

My choices here were actually including the biggies - partly because I know by heart a sizeable amount of those widely-known classic albums
    Trane, you raise a good point but I meant the thread didn't get bogged down. People are still posting their favourites!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
    Stormcock - Roy Harper

ooooh, I wish I'd thought of Low Spark, but it's not as perfect as my other picks, because of Light Up, which I fond annoying.

Stormcock is a top 50 for me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

I haven’t responded because Black Market is what comes to mind, and I figured Weather Report to be at least partially outside of prog perimeters. But, if Traffic makes the cut, I reckon it’s okay.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    I haven’t responded because Black Market is what comes to mind, and I figured Weather Report to be at least partially outside of prog perimeters. But, if Traffic makes the cut, I reckon it’s okay.
    I believe it is generally accepted that Traffic albums like Low Spark and John Barleycorn are prog rock. Adding Weather Report in the convo is no big deal, particularly considering the fluidity of the music scene in the mid-70s, and Weather Report alums like Jaco Pastorius and Chester Thompson jamming with anyone from Ian Hunter to Joni Mitchell to Genesis and Zappa.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I always regarded progressive jazz fusion ala Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc definitely a wing of the overall broad category "progressive rock".

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I always regarded progressive jazz fusion ala Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc definitely a wing of the overall broad category "progressive rock".
    I always thought of Genesis/Yes as the overall category/class of sympho-lympho. Although there are sympho-lympho artists I don't really like that much, I'm pretty much a sympho-lympho phanatic king of guy. It's an absolutt inkredipel kind of supreme rock'n'roll.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I always thought of Genesis/Yes as the overall category/class of sympho-lympho. Although there are sympho-lympho artists I don't really like that much, I'm pretty much a sympho-lympho phanatic king of guy. It's an absolutt inkredipel kind of supreme rock'n'roll.
    That's fascinating.

Bill Nelson - Secret Club For Members Only