Thread: New Quarkspace Album -- All These Suns -- Released

New Quarkspace Album -- All These Suns -- Released

Howdy!

Our new studio album (or "real" album), All These Suns, is now available on Bandcamp. It will arrive on other digital music services over the next two weeks or so. This is likely our farewell album, so dive in and enjoy.

all these unfinished suns.jpg

https://quarkspace.bandcamp.com/album/all-these-suns

The long wait is over. All These Suns, the first “real” Quarkspace album since 2001’s Drop, is now available. The album features the 12-minute title track, long a staple of Quarkspace’s live shows, as well as a hearty dollop of improvisational and electronic instrumental cuts.

Ultimately, All These Suns reveals a classic Quarkspace inspired by its psychedelic mix of song craft and improvisation. Special guests include Carlton Smith from Columbus’s legendary Royal Crescent Mob, Carl Howard from Nomuzic, and Stan Lyon, our former guitarist during the early 21st Century. It’s a powerful album, veering between psychedelic folk and deep space rock excursions sometimes presented in an electronic fashion. In essence, this is Quarkspace!

A digital-only release, All These Suns is available for download from Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, etc. as well as the usual streaming services, such as Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube, etc. Remember to support Indie Music!

1. Starbridge Freaks 4 (3.44)
    2. All These Suns (12.13)
    3. Who Lost Frederick? (3.18)
    4. The Prodigal Spaceman (6.05)
    5. Solar Progenics (6.14)
    6. Watch for Swimmers (6.48)
    7. The Prodigal Galaxy (5.28)
    8. Space Folds Upon Itself (5.34)

Released November 19, 2018

All Music Composed, Improvised, and Played by Quarkspace

Darren Gough: Guitar, Backing Vox
    Chet Santia: Bass, Guitars, Guide Vox
    Jay Swanson: Keyboards, Synths, Beats, Backing Vox, Song Length Commentary
    Paul Williams: Drumming, Synths, Keyboards, Fake Mellotrons, Beats, Loops, Moog, Backing Vox

Special Guests: Carl Howard: Analog Synth (3,5,6), Stan Lyon: Bass (1,2,4), Carlton Smith: Drumming (3,5,6)

Recorded at Eternity's Jest Studios, 2009-2014, 2018

Audio Derived from 24-Bit Masters

Cover Image Courtesy NASA

Godspeed John Glenn!

Produced by Lance Starbridge

As always... thanks for listening!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

"long a staple of Quarkspace’s live shows,"

Ahem...Excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "long a staple of Quarkspace’s live shows,"

Ahem...Excuse me?
    Indeed. True story. Chet and I were trying to figure out why we didn’t record it for Drop.

Dane Carlson - I think that’s his name - even put out a bootleg of one of our shows from that era, called All These Suns, with that tune first. I think he wrote for Expose back in the day?
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths

^ Ah, so we're talking the dim and distant past. I was afraid I was missing something.

^ Ah, so we're talking the dim and distant past. I was afraid I was missing something.
    Our entire history — especially in regards to vocal tunes — is the dim and distant past. No worries about missing anything else, I think.
    Quarkspace on Facebook

Great! I was listening to Live Orion this past weekend. Love all your music. I’ll check this out now .

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Great! I was listening to Live Orion this past weekend. Love all your music. I’ll check this out now .
    Thanks for listening!
    Quarkspace on Facebook

Just a hed's up with these fresh links to the new Quarkspace album -- All These Suns

https://open.spotify.com/album/0bI5H...R0yWP4ztVPheRA <--- Spotify for the radio streamers

https://itunes.apple.com/cy/album/al...uns/1444245155 <--- Apple Music/iTunes for the streamers and potential downloaders through iTunes (for the next year if that)

Finally we are doing a Black Friday/Cyber Monday-Week sale on our Bandcamp site. Get 40 percent our entire BC digital discography, so 9 releases for around $26. Less than $3 per release, yo.

https://quarkspace.bandcamp.com/album/all-these-suns

Thank you for your ears!

Peace!
    Quarkspace on Facebook

I still have many fond memories of Quarkstock 2000.

I still have many fond memories of Quarkstock 2000.
    Yeah, it was a fun time. Escapade's set especially slayed.

We took a bath on it. I had intentions of lugging my studio down to Ruby's and doing a multi-track recording of everything for future release, but changed my mind due to the bath water. At least some stereo recordings ended up being released by ArcMet and Escapade, I think. Our set kinda sucked, since we were more focused on hosting and running things. I forgot to properly wire up my electro-kit before our set started. Oops! I made a Rube Goldberg snake to handle things after the fact.

Last weekend for our 40 percent Cyberweek deal-i-o on our Bandcamp site! Less than $3 per release!
    Quarkspace on Facebook

Happy New Year!

Here's a fresh post with a few recent reviews of All These Suns.

"The legendary US space rockers return for the “first real Quarkspace album since 2001’s Drop." 2018 finds the band in fine form weaving their distinctive brand of space rock with both composed and improvisational parts. Solar and majestic with all the brooding power of their classic works." -- Jeff Fitzgerald, Psychedelic Waves. All These Suns ranked 3rd on their list of the Top 30 Psychedelic Albums of 2018

"Longtime fans of US space rock outfit Quarkspace can rejoice with the release of All These Suns, the first release from the band since 2001's Drop, and now available digitally via their Bandcamp page (link below) as well as all major download & streaming services. The line-up for this release includes Darren Gough (guitar, vocals), Chet Santia (bass, guitars, vocals), Jay Swanson (keyboards, vocals), and Paul Williams (drums, keyboards, vocals), with special guests that include Carl Howard (synth), Stan Lyon (bass), and Carlton Smith (drums), each appearing on a few tracks.

The 12-minute title track is the centerpiece here, a piece that the band have played live many times, here a percolating mix of haunting space rock, folk, and jazz, with hazy vocals drifting in and out of the mix, dreamy keys & synths, wah-wah guitar solos, and plenty of tribal drums and percussion. One can totally envision this track taking on epic proportions in a live environment. There's a nice blend of jazzy piano with bubbling electronica, busy drumming, and rock guitar on "Who Lost Frederick?", while the lovely "The Prodigal Spaceman" will just sweep you away with glorious '70s styled synth explorations and Mellotron sounds. It's Tangerine Dream meets Hawkwind on the stunning "Solar Progenics", spacey synth blips & bleeps colliding with heavy guitars, and the drifting "Watch For Swimmers" follows suit, with a dollop of Pink Floyd thrown in for good measure. Let us not forget just how well Quarkspace can throw some addicting grooves into their music too, which they do so well on "Starbridge Freaks 4" and the chilling "The Prodigal Galaxy", the latter again tossing in some jazzy piano to match up with the haunting Mellotron, synths, booming bass, psychedelic guitar leads, and intricate drumming. And, wait until you hear the killer guitar solo on closing cut "Space Folds Upon Itself"...talk about going on a journey.

Honestly, not a weak track to be found here, and I can safely say that All These Suns is easily one of the best space rock albums I've heard in 2018. Hopefully it's not another 17 years before we hear from this talented outfit again. Mandatory listening right here folks. 5-Stars" - Pete Pardo, Sea of Tranquility

"The long defunct Quarkspace lives on thanks to the archival efforts of original drummer and electronics maestro Paul Williams. Billed as the first ‘real’ Quarkspace albums since 2001’s Drop, All These Suns was recorded by founding members Williams, Darren Gough, Jay Swanson and Chet Santia between 2009-2014, with help from guests, including new bass parts added this past year by later Quarkspace guitarist Stan Lyons and keys by Williams.

Starbridge Freaks 4 opens the set with the trademark Quarkspace blend of propulsive, rhythmically grooving and cinematic soundscape flowing space rock. The 12 minute title track brought a smile to my face, being a classic Quarkspace blend of space jam and song, the likes of which we’ve not heard since Drop and the classic Hidden Moon album. Strumming acoustic and psychedelic bluesy electric guitars lead the way, along with a steadily drifting yet intense space/prog jamming vibe. It’s a pleasure to hear Chet’s haunting vocals again after all these years. And I like the nasty fuzz injection from Stan’s bass. Who Lost Frederick? is symphonically majestic, led by Jay’s piano, jamming guitar and a Star Wars mélange of electronics. The Prodigal Spaceman is shear space orchestral beauty, with Blues guitar and it’s given an industrial grunge edge by Stan’s fuzz bass. Solar Progenics features more luscious piano from Jay, ripping guitar licks, and space symphonic intensity, and I love the spaced out prog key melody.

Watch For Swimmers is beautifully mesmerizing and groove jamming, with a cool psychedelically shimmering Bluesy edge and corrosively soaring effects. The Prodigal Galaxy sounds like a space-orchestral sci-fi soundtrack, with a gorgeous combination of Jay’s piano, dirty Blues guitar, floating Mellotron keys, and eerie electronic effects. And Space Folds Upon Itself is classic Quarkspace high intensity yet meditative prog infused space rock.

Quarkspace may be long gone but as long as Williams plays curator to the unreleased material, I for one am happy to them keep comin’. I miss the days of yore when Quarkspace live shows happened regularly." - Jerry Kranitz, Aural Innovations
    Quarkspace on Facebook

Sadly, Mr. Kranitz's wish for additional curation of unreleased Quarkspace material isn't likely. The cupboard is essentially bare. Who knows? Maybe I'll get the gumption for a "plunderphonics" exploration of material? Beyond that, anything more will likely be in the form of a compilation.
    Last edited by TheNefariousHED; 01-08-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I fucked up.
    Quarkspace on Facebook

The eons are closing
    Hey man, glad you posted so I saw this was even out there! Love Drop, its in my permanent 200/disc changer.

Me and the boys from INFLUX became fans that night at Orion when we both played with Finneus Gauge back in 97.

If you could resurrect AvalonCon as well, QS is great background music for gaming! :-)

Best,

- Thomas
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Hey man, glad you posted so I saw this was even out there! Love Drop, its in my permanent 200/disc changer.

Me and the boys from INFLUX became fans that night at Orion when we both played with Finneus Gauge back in 97.

If you could resurrect AvalonCon as well, QS is great background music for gaming! :-)

Best,

- Thomas
    Right on, man! That was our first time at Orion, what a fun series of shows, ending with the "Doug Walker Testimonial Show (Alien Planetscapes)" sometime in 2003-4.

Bittersweet with Quarkspace retiring, but I'm working harder than ever on a variety of Church of Hed projects in a similar psychedelic spacerock, prog, electronic vein.

I used to be a big grognard back in the day -- still remember AH's address by memory: 4517 Harford Road, Baltimore, but have little time for gaming anymore, other than an occasional PS4 session.

Peace!
    Quarkspace on Facebook

The eons are closing
    Dig the Church too...have at least one disc of that tuneage.

If you ever want to play some of the old AH games online (e.g. We the People) our bassist Bruce wrote programs that are rules compliant.
    He's active in the wargaming community and has programmed other tabletop games as well.

Check out http://www.wargameroom.com

Peace!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit