Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PROG Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Last Prog I bought was the Waters' TFC cover

Last Classy Crock mag is the one from January, bought on the strength of a Floyd's AHM feature and a couple of other smaller articles. I don't think I bought a CR mag in the last two or three years, but I guess that can be valid for Prog as well.

However, there was a top 50 AOR albums of all time (absolutely no surprises in there, but I totally forgot who came on top five minutes after closing the mag), which tends to hint that the AOR mag doesn't exist anymore (I don't think the Blues mag managed to survive either)
    I didn't even see that magazine, but there is no question that Dark Side of the Moon will be at the top of that list. ... and here's the confirmation: https://www.loudersound.com/features...ck-albums-ever

However, there was a top 50 AOR albums of all time (absolutely no surprises in there, but I totally forgot who came on top five minutes after closing the mag), which tends to hint that the AOR mag doesn't exist anymore (I don't think the Blues mag managed to survive either)
    Thanks. I live out in the sticks so couldn't be sure if that was the reason I hadn't seen AOR mag for a while. Guess it's finished. (And I'll take a wild guess that the first Boston album was No.1!)

I used to buy the physical copy of Prog regularly. I mostly buy the tablet version now, it's great and I enjoy every issue. I was truly sad when it seemed they were going out of business about a year ago, and thrilled when they announced they had been rescued. And I think the free CD is a great part of it - I have discovered quite a few new bands through that CD, and gone on to buy all of the records of several bands I first heard via the free CD. If not for Prog magazine and progressive ears, I don't know where I would have found all of these great newer bands.

One thing about PROG mag I would change: The reviews section doesn't not "score" the records. Classic Rock magazine gives a certain number of stars for each review, and that helps guide me to the ones they think stand out with each issue. In the case of PROG magazine, I read all of the reviews within each issue, and often can't really tell if the reviewer liked the album!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They do use some US writers from time to time that go to and review events on this side of the pond.
    True. I just think if you add it up, you probably have at least an even amount of prog fans and bands in the US as you do in the UK-maybe even the UK + European mainland-despite the appearance that prog is/was a lesser enjoyed thing in the US. I think the fact that the biggest prog bands are always on tour in the US is testament to the contrary. If you bounce around Facebook's many prog groups and posts from people at large you notice there's very little attention paid to which bands are from where. If anything American/Canadian prog fans embrace UK & European current prog bands to a slightly larger degree than the UK & European prog fans embrace American prog bands. Because of sheer population I'd bet there's a similar amount of bands from each locale. A monthly magazine as attractive as Prog is-probably to save itself at some point-should probably be even more attentive to the US/Canada prog festivals, tours and active bands.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I didn't even see that magazine, but there is no question that Dark Side of the Moon will be at the top of that list. ... and here's the confirmation: https://www.loudersound.com/features...ck-albums-ever
    not even close. Nothing prog in that top 50 (not even Kansas)... the proggier being two 80's Styx albums (Paradise & Killroy)... the whole thing ranging from 76 (Boston's debut is ranked #2 or 3 until the early 90's... Unsurprisingly Toto, Journey, Survivor and Foreigner are the main winners with at least two or three albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Thanks. I live out in the sticks so couldn't be sure if that was the reason I hadn't seen AOR mag for a while. Guess it's finished. (And I'll take a wild guess that the first Boston album was No.1!)
    Boston came up second or third , but Journey's Escape won that hands down (according to them)
    I can check this out tonight, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

OK, just checked out, this mag I bougth is the February 19 issue, so it may actually reach stateside soon, if anyone's interested

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    There is a an advert page called Loudersound.com where you see that Classic Rock, Metal Hammer , Prog and Blues logos are featured ... So Blues Maga would still exists
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There is a an advert page called Loudersound.com where you see that Classic Rock, Metal Hammer , Prog and Blues logos are featured ... So Blues Maga would still exists
    Thanks. AOR definitely over, then.

Incidentally, there's a newish magazine in the UK called 'Planet Rock' affiliated to the national radio station of the same name. Seems to be covering the same bases as Classic Rock magazine. https://www.facebook.com/planetrockradio/

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They do use some US writers from time to time that go to and review events on this side of the pond.
    The last edition had a review of a Kansas concert in my hometown of Kalamazoo MI. I have no clue who the writer was or why he was in Kalamazoo, but it kind of surprised me.

Steve, the Goblin show we saw in Chicago was reviewed in Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Steve, the Goblin show we saw in Chicago was reviewed in Prog.
    Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that review also. I think there was also a review of Progtoberfest. There must be someone in the area who works for the Mag.

This issue (no. 96) the highlight is an interview with David Gilmour who is selling most of his guitars for charity. Also Trevor Horn chats about all sorts of things including Yes (he's fine with both camps), Rick ruminates on reincarnation and considers coming back as a fly and a journalist from the Times is the interviewee for the excellent record collection feature and inevitably has something to say about BBT. And the cd has a great opening track by Doug Woods and Colin Powell and a couple of other songs I like straightaway.

Just renewed my subscription!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I feel bad, but I rarely buy the magazine anymore. It just seems so redundant, along with being 2 months late and pricey in the US. I read far more interesting & timely interviews AND reviews for free in the internet. It's good it's still going though.

Well - IMHO definitely is a great thing - when it came out I thought it was a sign of the scene's health. Unfortunately it has struggled recently as all publications have.

1) OF COURSE not the place for news... of course! That's what the internet is for - you probably won't believe it, but I read it for the articles!

2) Well - being an imported magazine (for the US, of course) is more expensive that stateside magazines... that said, well, not really pricey - $100 (or $22) quarterly is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

3) That said - my preference is for Digital magazines - I do not want to accumulate paper - and on Android (as I am not an Apple user - and never will be GRRR) it has been difficult - they have not treated me well - first I bought it on Google Newstand and it was great - but they moved away to their own app and infrastructure - and when they were bought recently they took down that infrastructure - so all the magazines I bought disappeared - and they never replied to my request for... well a solution... now they are at Amazon and (like they haven't at Google), at least I know the back issues won't disappear... but still pretty upset - the new owners just never cared enough to offer a solution...

Yet - like I said, I get it from Amazon (on Kindle) - and in the grand scheme of things is a great magazine, their digital magazine problems aside... great content

v

Anyone read the February issue feature article about Tull's Stand Up (it's also the cover)??

Is it worth buying?

Anyone read the February issue feature article about Tull's Stand Up (it's also the cover)??

Is it worth buying?
    Just finished reading and enjoyed it. Some tidbits I didn't know. The Elvis story for one. How close Martin came to not getting the guitar spot for another. Worth buying? For me it was but it's one of my favorite Tull albums. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I subscribe to the digital version for iPad. Any others not receive the January issue on the app? Love this mag though!
    I have subscribed via the Ipad some years ago, had no problem with the January Issue.