Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    And Hackett tells us that, when he was working with Chris Squire, he was invited to join Yes. News to me that (though probably not to some of the people who contribute here!)
    News to me... but actually it's what Squire often said, it seems.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Latest Prog magazine offers walks down memory lane with Jethro Tull, Focus, Greenslade, Rick on the varying quality of bacon and eggs when he's on tour and, oh, the news that a certain intellectual rock band from the Bournemouth area are liked by rather a lot of people ......................

the cd's not bad either ......................

I subscribe to the digital version for iPad. Any others not receive the January issue on the app? Love this mag though!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Because then the magazine would have to pay Camel, whereas currently the bands pay the magazine. It's a form of advertising AIUI.
    I'm told a band pays $500 for a song to be on the free CDs.

Closer to $400 roughly. But yes, the bands pay for it. It is not curated out of the kindness of anyone’s hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad deal, really, for exposure to your target audience.

Tough to gauge how it performed for us but it would seem we did not make our money back but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    That's funny that everyone, including myself, toss the attached CD without a listen. I believe the bands pay to have a track put on there, the magazine does not chose them (nor are they related to the content of the issue). When I found that out, I definitely stopped listening to them. So, wasted advertising... and sadly probably raises the cost of the magazine for us too.
    Doesn't raise the cost (CDs very cheap to make and it pays for itself from bands paying to be on it) but the "curating" isn't very strong. There's some very..."demo-y" sounding stuff and they actually do have quite a few songs that tie in with something inside the magazine. Of course with bands paying to be on it they're going to be very reticent to not let something on it because of sound quality or whatever.

Not "everyone" tosses the cd away.

I listen to it several times, and I know I'm not the only one, judging by comments on the magazine's FB group.

And yes, I've bought albums based on the samples heard on the cd.

I have listened at least once (mostly only once) to every PROG magazine CD sampler from the second issue right up until I let my subscription lapse last year (and even then, I've bought a couple of issues at the book store). I always give them a chance, even though I find there's a lot of junk on them - bland prog metal stuff and screaming stuff that doesn't sound remotely like prog to my ears. But occasionally I've been won over by something, most notably back when I first the song Frozen North by Wisdom Of Crowds, which made me immediately seek out and order their CD (which is excellent all the way through). And although I don't recall the other occasions, there have been two or three more where the same thing happened. Other than that, most of the stuff I liked tended to be stuff I've already got sitting on my shelves, because they were old news by the time the magazine showed up.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I might have listened to one of the CDs a long time ago. I only buy the magazine sporadically now.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

I listen to it several times, and I know I'm not the only one, judging by comments on the magazine's FB group.

I have probably bought more albums based on the Classic Rock Magazine's samples than Prog's, but I always giver them at least a listen or two.
    s

Did you know PROG turns 10 this year? Kudos, PROG!

Latest Prog magazine offers ... Rick on the varying quality of bacon and eggs when he's on tour
    Haven't seen it but I'm guessing he mentions the effect of it on his bowels in some way. As usual.

Well long may it continue. Its letters page may not be as interesting or entertaining as Mojo's but then again I won't find 25 page articles about Yes there!

I have actually played the cd that comes with the current issue three times! Melodic prog is well-represented: Professor Tip Top, Evership and Material Eyes, the latter obviously having listened to a lot of Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Haven't seen it but I'm guessing he mentions the effect of it on his bowels in some way. As usual.
    Actually this time he doesn't. This may because he decides to pass on the scrambled eggs he encounters which are apparently green!

Actually this time he doesn't. This may because he decides to pass on the scrambled eggs he encounters which are apparently green!
    *resubscribes*

Joking apart, I like the magazine in general and there have been some particularly good issues that I'm definitely keeping for posterity.

Is their AOR magazine still coming out occasionally or is it done? Last one I bought had Heart on the cover, a long time ago.

Joking apart, I like the magazine in general and there have been some particularly good issues that I'm definitely keeping for posterity.

Is their AOR magazine still coming out occasionally or is it done? Last one I bought had Heart on the cover, a long time ago.
    Not sure. I subscribed to the blues magazine they did for a while, but it went belly up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure. I subscribed to the blues magazine they did for a while, but it went belly up.
    That is somehow appropriate for a blues magazine. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

I always listen to the CD, usually several times. They vary from month to month, from track to track, but I've heard plenty of good material and very little that's bad (mediocre, sure, but not bad). Whether it's worth $400, I've no idea... although as the £ continues to fall on Brexit chaos, it must be getting ever cheaper for non-UK bands!

Henry

I think in the current “Prog world” we can’t really afford tribalism...be it people who think they have to go to one festival and not another because of anything beyond band choices or magazines that focus on one area of the world and not another. Prog doesn’t have its own Prog-Con but it’s getting close to the point where if you want large attendance to something there almost has to be no choice.

Prog Magazine need not be so focused on the U.K. or even Europe at this point. Progression (our one physical magazine) has no such focus. If Prog made a concerted effort to be a world wide magazine it would serve them-and us-well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Prog Magazine need not be so focused on the U.K. or even Europe at this point. Progression (our one physical magazine) has no such focus. If Prog made a concerted effort to be a world wide magazine it would serve them-and us-well.
    Prog is a UK magazine. I presume it is easier for them to follow, track and report on the UK prog scene. There are costs to being a worldwide magazine, and the magazine may be financially precarious. So, I'd happily see more international coverage in the magazine (and there is already a fair amount), but it's not necessarily straightforward to achieve.

Henry

They do use some US writers from time to time that go to and review events on this side of the pond.

Last Prog I bought was the Waters' TFC cover

Last Classy Crock mag is the one from January, bought on the strength of a Floyd's AHM feature and a couple of other smaller articles. I don't think I bought a CR mag in the last two or three years, but I guess that can be valid for Prog as well.

However, there was a top 50 AOR albums of all time (absolutely no surprises in there, but I totally forgot who came on top five minutes after closing the mag), which tends to hint that the AOR mag doesn't exist anymore (I don't think the Blues mag managed to survive either)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.