Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine

PROG Magazine

Prog Magazine has sent me a deal, 22 dollars a quarter (how many issues that is I don't know), or 99 dollars for 1 year, again how many issues I don't know. I'm not the best at math, but, the deal seems like not so good a deal, however I would have to know how many issues are involved. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thanks.

Quarterly Continuous Credit Card
    $22.00

Credit/Debit Card or PayPal 1 Year
    $99.00

According to my math, it’d be cheaper to pay quarterly.

YMMV

12 issues a year, each comes with a sampler CD, here is one of them 8842A85D-78B6-4424-8758-F8010A8D84EB.jpg

I quit buying it when they started selling for $15 a copy at B&N. ($180 a year, if it's a monthly thing.)

I bought the first 4-6 issues, then stopped.

Worth every penny. In my opinion.
    The Prog Corner

I subscribed for years, but finally let it lapse once the issues started taking two months to arrive. I got a little tired of reading about "upcoming" gigs or releases that were already in the past. I initially thought I'd just go to the local bookstore and buy them individually, but I haven't actually done that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I subscribed for years, but finally let it lapse once the issues started taking two months to arrive. I got a little tired of reading about "upcoming" gigs or releases that were already in the past. I initially thought I'd just go to the local bookstore and buy them individually, but I haven't actually done that.
    I agree that does get a bit frustrating. I subscribe to both Prog and Classic Rock, both of which have this problem sometimes.

Regardless of the problems, we should all be thankful these magazines exist in hard copy formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Regardless of the problems, we should all be thankful these magazines exist in hard copy formats.
    Agree, I also have subscribed to Progression for many years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, I also have subscribed to Progression for many years as well.
    I don't subscribe to Progression to find out what bands are playing when, that's what the internet is for.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

US$2.99 / mo on Google Play.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I feel bad, but I rarely buy the magazine anymore. It just seems so redundant, along with being 2 months late and pricey in the US. I read far more interesting & timely interviews AND reviews for free in the internet. It's good it's still going though.

I've been buying them at retail since the debut issue. First at Borders Books and now at the record store where I work. And I save them when I'm done reading. I use it as an alternative source for proggy news especially the album/book/video reviews.
    Last edited by FrippWire; 11-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.

I bought the last issue in a foolish moment. Its full of waffle.

I had a subscription for a few years then realized they have articles about the same bands over and over..
    Hope it's better now!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I stopped buying the print copy years ago: so expensive in the U.S. But I’ve been subscribing to the ipad version since. Still love it! Still expensive, but a lot better than print.
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    I had a subscription for a few years then realized they have articles about the same bands over and over..
    Hope it's better now!
    Repetition is the key to learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Hope it's better now!
    Repetition is the key to learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I don't subscribe to Progression to find out what bands are playing when, that's what the internet is for.
    I am not sure that is what I said, but yea the magazines tend to be old news by the time you get them, but I do enjoy the articles and interviews.

Rock Society is the best one IMO. It's UK based as well but arrives WAY faster than Prog. And bi-monthly issues prevent overkill factor. Prog-leaning but with a dash of classic rock as well, and the articles don't necessarily fawn over every single band. Worth looking into!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Digital version for me. I can read it on my iPad or my Samsung Galaxy phone via the Zinio app. The CDs never really appealed to me. And I can get the issue as soon as it came out instead of waiting weeks to get it at Barnes and Noble.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

^ You don't get a download of the material on the CD with a digital subscription?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Rock Society is the best one IMO. It's UK based as well but arrives WAY faster than Prog. And bi-monthly issues prevent overkill factor. Prog-leaning but with a dash of classic rock as well, and the articles don't necessarily fawn over every single band. Worth looking into!
    The year I subscribed (about five years ago), they also threw in some interesting stuff that was neither prog nor classic rock, but worth investigating. I definitely preferred it to PROG.

As I recall as an old subscriber Rock Society was an expensive subscription but good read, is it still expensive?