Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSO 2018

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    If there's such a hunger for symphonic rock here in the US, why is Prog such a niche genre?

Regular symphonic prog is nowhere near that spectacular.
    It's the spectacle. ( also see (historically ) Riverdance, Celtic Woman, Cirque du Soleil )
    The potential proggyness is ( for us ) a bonus.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    Mayonnaise on a hamburger is an Abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    They toured their “Beethoven’s Last Night” album for three tours 2010-2012. They were fantastic concerts imho, and the first time they broke out the Savatage classic “Chance” that they are playing again this year. They played to much smaller audiences though, playing theaters or arenas that had the seating reconfigured for smaller audiences. Not sure how successful those tours were for them, but they haven’t returned to non-Christmastime tours since.
    I could be wrong on this, but I think they toured "Night Castle" as well. My sister saw them one time that I didn't and I thought it was when that album came out. They did not tour for "Letter From The Labyrinth" that I am aware of. They have also played some of the big festivals in Europe in fact a few years ago they played Waken in Germany as both TSO and a Savatage re-union which was not a Christmas show. As you mention though, when they have done non Christmas tours they have been at smaller venues and they have not done one in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I've seen them 7 times now, including once on the Beethoven's Last Night tour. They are consistently very good. But I think I'll skip a few years.
    I probably would not go every year if it was not for my dad wanting to go. As long as he is able we'll probably keep going, but I skipped quite a few years there before he got into it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    If there's such a hunger for symphonic rock here in the US, why is Prog such a niche genre?
    To me a lot of what TSO does is prog, but it was the same with Savatage. I still remember seeing TSO playing this huge hockey arena and then seeing Savatage a couple of months later, with many of the same people, playing in a club to 200 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    We have seen TSO twice. It is a fun show. My kids love it. The lights and effects are outstanding.

I have to wonder sometimes with all the flailing around and posing if the musicians are actually playing. I don't mean that to sound blasphemous, especially with some of the names involved in the shows (on both coasts), but it's almost too perfect of a production and the guitar players do an awful lot of posing, etc.

FWIW, I hope I'm wrong.
    I have to admit that thought has crossed my mind as well, but having seen them from several different vantage points now, I think they are actually playing everything. There are a lot of closeup youtube videos out there too, that would be hard to fake.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I think they toured "Night Castle" as well.
    No, they never toured Nightcastle, just those three BLN tours.

We have seen TSO twice. It is a fun show. My kids love it. The lights and effects are outstanding.

I have to wonder sometimes with all the flailing around and posing if the musicians are actually playing. I don't mean that to sound blasphemous, especially with some of the names involved in the shows (on both coasts), but it's almost too perfect of a production and the guitar players do an awful lot of posing, etc.

FWIW, I hope I'm wrong.
    It's a common claim that is thrown around by some fans. I have been interviewing TSO performers for many years now and have heard my share of off-the-record stories as well. Safe to say that everyone is playing (and posing!). One thing of note is that all the string parts are doubled by the keyboards using string patches to thicken the sound, so the "local strings" aren't playing the most vital musical role. There are a few other "tricks" thrown in - like the violinist "playing" the cello intro to Sarajevo is really being played on keys and the West cast brings out one of the ladies to "play" the flute intro in Sarajevo which is also really being played on keys. And is everyone always in the mix? Maybe. But there are definitely no backing tracks, just some tricks here and there.

It's a common claim that is thrown around by some fans. I have been interviewing TSO performers for many years now and have heard my share of off-the-record stories as well. Safe to say that everyone is playing (and posing!). One thing of note is that all the string parts are doubled by the keyboards using string patches to thicken the sound, so the "local strings" aren't playing the most vital musical role. There are a few other "tricks" thrown in - like the violinist "playing" the cello intro to Sarajevo is really being played on keys and the West cast brings out one of the ladies to "play" the flute intro in Sarajevo which is also really being played on keys. And is everyone always in the mix? Maybe. But there are definitely no backing tracks, just some tricks here and there.
    One thing I completely forgot. A good friend of mine's nephew worked for the TSO touring crew for several years in the 00's and he always said that they did everything live.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Thanks for the validation. That makes me feel better. However, I'm not sure why they feel the need to pull off the cello and flute tricks.
    Chad

I'm not sure why they feel the need to pull off the cello and flute tricks.
    It looks more impressive than having it appear that it was played on keyboards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally