Thread: Suggestions Please

Suggestions Please

I'm going to type out a list of cds here and if you have time to read it...would you please make suggestions of other composers..or just music itself..(generally speaking), that you think I might like. ...Asia Music..celestial harmonies. Harps Of The Ancient Temples-Gail Laughton. ....Meditation Music Of Ancient Egypt-Gerald Jay Markoe............................................ ....... ....Iroha-Ka-Stomu Yamashta. ..Winter Was Hard-Kronos Quartet. ..September Canons- Ingram Marshall. ..Voivode Dracula- Karda Estra. .Modern Chamber Music Vol.2- Darian Stavans ..The Nuclear Observatory Of Mr. Nanof- Piero Milesi. ..Cities In Fog- Jeff Greinke. .Thursday Afternoon- Brian Eno. .Gargoyles- Mare Duo plays Wallace. ..Nutshell Studies Of Unexplained Death- David Smooke. .Crackpot Hymnal- Dmitri Tymoczko. .Bartok/Music For Strings, Percussion & Celesta/Chicago Symphony. .A Young Person's Guide To The Avant Garde (various artists) .Big, Beautiful, Dark.and Scary- Bang On A Can All Stars. .Petro Phonics- Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic. .Les Espaces Inquiets/Phase IV/Archives II. - Art Zoyd. .Le Pavilion Des Passions Humaines- Julverne. .Angels & Insects-Balanescu Quartet. .Univers Zero. .Charles Ives- Symphony #2. .Reynaldo Hahn- Piano Quartet, Violin Sonata and Other Chamber Music. ..In A Time Lapse- Ludovico Einaudi. .Jumbo Love Cycle- The Stories Project/Sheryl Noethe (poetry) .Chamber Symphony-John Adams. .Ancient Music For A Modern Age-Sequentia. .Dark Waters- Ingram Marshall. .On Phenomena And Existences- Rational Diet. .At The Grave Of Richard Wagner- Kronor Quartet. .Eve- Karda Estra. .Maria T- Balanescu Quartet. .American String Quartets 1950-1970 Cage, Crumb, Hiller, Druckman, Feldman and others...Concord String Quartet

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-17-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Omg..Zeuhlmate! How did you discover this? This is incredible to me! I hope I can find it

Wayne Siegel lives in my country, and a friend of mine's friend have recorded the 'Sound Pattern' piece (he plays the Cello)
    Nancarrow I heard about, because the guitarist (and piano player) Shawn Lane was crazy about him, and he played and recorded some of his stuff on piano.
    Ligeti I have known for years, but Farmers Market used one of his themes rather recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjt2btKAUE and this particular theme and the others he made around that time are very interesting. Brian Eno have been there too and 'borrowed'.
    I have the L.Voag album as LP, bought it in the days from Recommended Records, London, after Chris Cutler wrote some interesting words about it in his catalogue.
    Raymond Scott is the one I know the least about. He has done stuff in several genres so I dont know what to recommend - lots on the tube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k66nGplNRmQ

You might like this too (I do) Hans Werner Henze (the rest of this album, which I own CD, is very good too)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFNrs7NSKw

Univers Zero has stated Albert Huybrechts as an inspirational source
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7on...Rv-5nXhDMZUQ1h

Check out, Eighth Blackbird. Somewhat similar to Bang on a Can.

Maybe Daniel Lentz may be of interest.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Aerican String Quartets 1950-1970 Cage, Crumb, Hiller, Druckman, Feldman and others...Concord String Quartet
    If you like the string quartets on this collection, definitely try Elliott Carter's string quartets.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Zeuhlmate...thank you so much. I am going to research every one of your recomendations...This is intriguing...thank you. Simon Moon...thank you for everything as well. I really enjoyed the vids. This is going to be a fine list. Both of you...thank you again...Its going to take me some time to collect it all. Its going to be very enjoyable. ..Btw, I'm missing the first two Julverne albums. They were on CD for a short time and proceeded to sell quickly and are out of print. I have everything else on CD except for the first 2. I even have Captain Nemo compilation which features some early recordings not many. They're just one of those bands that drive me crazy and I absolutely love them...actually I say "band" but its an ensemble. There's some kind of " odd chemistry " or characteristic to their music where you can identify that its Julverne someone is playing...but never knowing what to expect. Not unlike Univers Zero or anybody else in that sense....yet still separate regarding their composition. Many of their pieces are the backing for poetry /spoken word, much more delightful and suitable for a fairy tale than several artists whose area of specialization is in writing for poets or animated period stories. ........ ..,Several people on Prog Ears have stated in the past that they don't see anything dark about the music of Julverne. However their are dark pieces throughout certain releases ..dating back to the late 70s , early 80s. Their last release..Le Pavillon Des Passions Humaines includes some very creepy , impressionable pieces. There is also the existence of comedy in their music. Literally a piece that sounds humourus. Coming across silly and transcending into something gothic in nature. As if to say.." music from a dark world" . But not with the consistency of Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, or Rational Diet. ...Therefore, Julverne fuse certain influences together , flowing from one to another, in such a perfect and natural way. Where upon you may not notice immediately where the band is taking you. That's what I love about them.....

Nicholas Lens
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lgp...HJU9w_u9n61LAz

I have 3 of his albums