Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Roy Clark

R.I.P. Roy Clark

What a masterful guitarist.

Here's a little taste:

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And more:

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.

Roy seemed a little too cool to be hanging with the "Hee Haw" crowd. Although, those young country girls...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP for one helluva picker. I saw him once at celebration of the state centennial and he was just blazing. He did a semi-classical/flamenco piece that was just jaw-dropping.

I would just as soon forget about Hee Haw but was forced to watch it countless times with parents and grandparents. You want to know hell. Hell is when the local station programmed Hee Haw back to back with Lawrence Welk, you're a teenager trapped at the grandparents, and grandpa has control of the TV. Thank god for them gals in the little shots.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

RIP. A great musician.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Roy seemed a little too cool to be hanging with the "Hee Haw" crowd. Although, those young country girls...

Aw Shit!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Some of these Country music guys were incredible players. After looking at the Roy Clark vids on YouTube, check some Glen Campbell vids. Melts your brain.

Another artist I could have seen with my parents when I was young, but passed on. He was a great talent.

RIP Roy Clark

I know, another RIP thread. Sorry, but Roy was a monster on guitar and was very influential. I looked but didn't see any posts on this which was surprising. RIP Roy He was one of a kind.

RIP Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Imma picking
    And imma... not grinnin

RIP

As a kid in the 70's many Saturday evenings included Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw with AWA All Star Wrestling somewhere in the mix (can't recall the sequence). Really appreciated Roy's musicianship. Enjoyed his cameo on the Odd Couple. Fond memories. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Some of these Country music guys were incredible players. After looking at the Roy Clark vids on YouTube, check some Glen Campbell vids. Melts your brain.
    Yeah, then there were guys like Don Rich (Buck Owen's guitarist and fiddle player), Roy Nichols (Merle Haggard's guitarist on his classic era records), Clint Strong (who studied with Howard Roberts then played in Merle's band in the 90's), Luther Perkins (who played with Johnny Cash during the 50's and 60's) and of course, the incomparable James Burton (who played with just about everyone, but is most famous for playing with Dale Hawkins, Ricky Nelson and Mr. Elvis Aaron Presley).

Oh yeah, and let's forget 80's era Johnny Cash sideman Marty Stuart, who now has his own band, the Fabulous Superlatives, where he trades solos with Cousin Kenny Vaughan. Marty has his own TV show, the Marty Stuart Show, where he features all sorts of cool country music (none of that "modern" country nonsense, too). That sunburst Telecaster he usually plays belonged to Clarence White, the guitar that Clarence played with when he was in The Byrds, with the original prototype of the Parsons/White string bender on it. If I remember correctly, Marty also has Pops Staples' Telecaster too.

Back to Roy: I saw a concert he did when he was working in Branson (apparently, he ran a theater there for something like a decade, he said it was nice to play a show every night and be home by 11:00pm), and there's a point where he does this insane instrumental, after which he's shaking his hands like they're sore. He says "You may ask yourself why I would do something that hurts so much. Well, I'll tell ya, I'll do anything to get out of having a day job! Me and 7:00am don't get along too well, and unless I'm coming at it from the direction, if you know what I mean!"

So explain to me, why is this in the Way Off Topic category? I thought we were supposed to post music related RIP threads in the regular Off Topic board.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So explain to me, why is this in the Way Off Topic category? I thought we were supposed to post music related RIP threads in the regular Off Topic board.
    It should be, and I believe one has sprung up there as well. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. The man could play. RIP sir.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It should be, and I believe one has sprung up there as well. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but yeah.
    I believe this is the thread that was in the Off Topic forum, as when I was looking at the OT forum, this was shown, when teh word Moved attached to it. This morning, it's not there at all. As you say, not that big of a deal, but given some of the RIP threads in there (e.g. Douglas Rain) I don't see why this one got singled out.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I believe this is the thread that was in the Off Topic forum, as when I was looking at the OT forum, this was shown, when teh word Moved attached to it. This morning, it's not there at all. As you say, not that big of a deal, but given some of the RIP threads in there (e.g. Douglas Rain) I don't see why this one got singled out.
    Country ain't cool

I think this thread had already started and had quite a few posts before the one on the OT page was started. I would guess that is why it was combined to this thread.

Never cared for country music or Hee Haw but, man, could this guy play. I would put up with just about anything to watch and listen to him. Masterful. Farewell and thank you.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I was never a country fan but I know good musicians when I hear them. I've bought some country music compilations in recent years. Cool or not, I like all that old honky honk country from the 40s up through the 70s. That music was just as influential to early Rock & Roll as the blues or old R&B.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I was never a country fan but I know good musicians when I hear them. I've bought some country music compilations in recent years. Cool or not, I like all that old honky honk country from the 40s up through the 70s. That music was just as influential to early Rock & Roll as the blues or old R&B.
    Sure was. My dad loved country music and we heard it all the time growing up in the 60’s. Roy was one of his favorites. Another piece of American musical history is lost but certainly never forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk