Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Magellan (The Band) Fans?

A prog related example of what I meant would be "Twice Around the Sun" by Steve Hackett, or the loop heard during the refrain of Marillion's "Accidental Man". I'm sure there are many other examples, those just the first to spring to mind . These kinds of beats were quite common in popular music at the time.

They are not an obstacle to my liking a track - "Twice Around the Sun" is one of my favourite Hackett tunes. It just that, probably because of the time and way I was exposed to music, I'm less likely to mind a straight-forward Linn drum beat than something like this. To me, both sound dated in that they are markedly "of their time", rather than "timeless" (whatever that is), but they provoke slightly different responses.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    A prog related example of what I meant would be "Twice Around the Sun" by Steve Hackett, or the loop heard during the refrain of Marillion's "Accidental Man". I'm sure there are many other examples, those just the first to spring to mind . These kinds of beats were quite common in popular music at the time.

They are not an obstacle to my liking a track - "Twice Around the Sun" is one of my favourite Hackett tunes. It just that, probably because of the time and way I was exposed to music, I'm less likely to mind a straight-forward Linn drum beat than something like this. To me, both sound dated in that they are markedly "of their time", rather than "timeless" (whatever that is), but they provoke slightly different responses.
    I kind of get what you mean RE: An Accidental Man. Definitely the weakest track on the album (the only weak one, IMO). And when you listen to a track like "One Fine Day" (one of their best, IMO), An Accidental Man was so unnecessary. There must have been something better they could have included. But I actually don't hate it now. But it's not great - Mosley is wasted on it.
    "Of course you are allowed to trumpet your profound ignorance by disagreeing with me." -- Facelift

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I had it on cassette, too (then CD). I still like Hour and Impending Ascension the best of their output.
    Yep, me too. Those two are never far from my ears.