Thread: R.I.P. Stan Lee

R.I.P. Stan Lee

Marvel Comics legend and creator of some of their most beloved characters, has died at the age of 95.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    He was up there in age but the news still sucks.

Aw, damn.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sad, but he definitely had a good run. With just a few exceptions I wasn't a big comic book reader, but I did read a lot of the Star Wars comics in the 70s, and I loved his writing style in his notes or editorials or whatever they were in those. I think he found a really fun way way to communicate with his readers. It was very American, and sort of in the tradition of writers like Mark Twain.

I loved Spiderman as a kid. I wish my #2 Giant issue hadn't gotten destroyed. Thanks so much for it all, Stanley Martin Lieber, good Jewish boy from New York!

May his memory be a blessing. Excelsior!

For all his faults, Stan was a visionary, a great writer, and an editor with an eye for talent like no one else. He made comic book heroes with flaws, with messed up and interesting lives. He managed to separate Marvel from the rest of the pack.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I really looked forward to his next cameo each time. RIP.

I was definitely a Marvel kid. The books were more than comic; there were many teaching moments in those pages. I'm grateful he did what he did.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I was a Marvel kiddo too. RIP.....Stan.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Mr. Marvel.

Sad to hear this.

But wow, man, what a legacy.

RIP Stan the Man. The comics medium wouldn't be what it became without him. Stan wasn't just an icon, he was a totem. Stan, along with Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and other revered characters, brought Marvel (formerly Timely) into viability in the early '60s. In 1972, he became Marvel's publisher as well as president.

Interesting tidbit: neither Marvel nor DC were doing too well in the second half of the '70s. Within a few years, DC would begin updating many of their characters, and the revamps would end up doing very well for them in the '80s...

...Marvel was pretty much rescued by becoming the publisher of the Star Wars comic in '77. But Stan had to be talked into it by (IIRC) Roy Thomas. The deal was made before the release of the movie. They sold well over 100,000 copies, but they couldn't really reap the benefits till the deal was renewed/renogatiated in '78.

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Interesting tidbit: neither Marvel nor DC were doing too well in the second half of the '70s. Within a few years, DC would begin updating many of their characters, and the revamps would end up doing very well for them in the '80s...

...Marvel was pretty much rescued by becoming the publisher of the Star Wars comic in '77. But Stan had to be talked into it by (IIRC) Roy Thomas. The deal was made before the release of the movie. They sold well over 100,000 copies, but they couldn't really reap the benefits till the deal was renewed/renogatiated in '78.
    Now that is interesting! I never knew that.

I really like those old '70s/early '80s (pre-Jedi) Star Wars that Marvel published. They weren't all "all Luke/Vader/Jedi, all the time" or any of that. There was some off-the-wall stuff. Great art by Howie Chaykin and Walt Simonson, too.

R.I.P. Stan

I read Marvel Comics The Untold Story by Sean Howe last summer.

Very detailed and sad in certain aspects also.

Stan moved to LA in the 70s, leaving the day to day operations of the comics behind him.

His dream was getting his characters on TV and in the movies and he certainly succeeded!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I really like those old '70s/early '80s (pre-Jedi) Star Wars that Marvel published. They weren't all "all Luke/Vader/Jedi, all the time" or any of that. There was some off-the-wall stuff. Great art by Howie Chaykin and Walt Simonson, too.
    I still haven't read any of those. I need to see if there's a way to...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    His dream was getting his characters on TV and in the movies and he certainly succeeded!
    He sure did. I'm gonna miss seeing him cameo in the Marvel films.

Excelsior!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I still haven't read any of those. I need to see if there's a way to...
    Check Amazon. They've all been collected. Star Wars was at Dark Horse for a number of years till Disney yanked it back after the acquisition of Marvel.