Thread: Moonglum Hammersmith Odeon 1985

Moonglum Hammersmith Odeon 1985

Just for the heck of it- peak performance from Huw Lloyd Langton (RIP), who also wrote this Moorcock inspired tune. Smoking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRqDsIngBo

Yeah that's proper! First time I saw them, that tour. Had a mullet haircut based on Huw and Chris Waddle shortly afterwards!

Excellent and very moving. A brilliant, underrated player.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One of my favorite Hawkwind songs! Very good rendition, thanks.

Love this. But then, I love Chronicle of the Black Sword, and that particular line-up (Masques, Xenon, etc.).

RIP Huw.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Love this. But then, I love Chronicle of the Black Sword, and that particular line-up (Masques, Xenon, etc.).

RIP Huw.
    Chronicle of the Black Sword didn't really impress me the first couple of listens (it was when I was first discovering Hawkwind). I thought the track Needle Gun was laughable. But when I heard Chronicle of the Black Sword Live, I loved it! Haven't really gone back and listened to the studio album, but I do enjoy most Hawkwind I've heard, aside from the last few - they do seem have to run out steam, at least in the studio. But I can't blame them - it's been a great run!

The first Hawkwind album I heard was The Xenon Codex, and immediately fell in love with Langton's guita work. As such, I've always had a fondness for the 80's era Hawkwind records that I think a lot of people don't. Besides The Xenon Codex, my favorites are probably Live 79, Levitation, Choose Your Masques, This Is Hawkwind Do Not Panic and Sonic Attack. I also have a vinyl copy of the Earth Ritual Preview/Night Of The Hawks.

Chronicle Of THe Black Sword is one of the lesser albums from that era, in my opinion, better than Zones or Out And In Take (both of which are really "best of the leftovers" records, so that's not even a fiar comparison)but not as good as the albums I mention in the first paragraph of this post. I liked Live Chronicles better, where I felt most of the COFTBS material sounded better (in particular there's that descending guitar line in the choruses of Song Of The Swords that isn't in the studio version).

Has there ever been a proper release of the full Hammersmith Odeon '85 show, one that doesn't have the fade out at the end of side three and has all the material in the correct order? I have a couple different versions of that album, the original release on cassette, and a reissue double CD on a US label called Griffen Records, that each have different track lists. As I recall, the Griffen reissue had two songs Assault And Battery and Sleep Of A Thousand Years, I believe) inserted into the middle of the set, which weren't on the original version, but it was done in a somewhat sloppy fashion.