Thread: ProgRock.com is under new management.

ProgRock.com is under new management.

It is my proud honor to announce that Rayna and I have bought the website from Shawn Gordon and we are currently running the station.
    The Station has been in disrepair for 6 months so started from scratch on all the hardware and software needed to run a first rate radio station. We have upgraded the player to one that works in more players and added song request software to the radio station so you can pick from our library. A library that is sitting at only 8,000 songs right now but we are right in the middle of migrating to a 18 terabyte server and should have over 30,000 songs next month.

Look for many improvements in the coming months as we have a team of 4 working on improving the site daily.

What would you like from a progressive rock station? Want your own show?

Reply and let us know.

Mark
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution and Boutique Label
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/XjXVZ8WqNP

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Awesome!

Congrats!!

What is the ratio of prog to non-prog per show? 85/15?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Congrats!!

What is the ratio of prog to non-prog per show? 85/15?
    Why would you expect non-prog from a station calling itself "ProgRock.com?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry, but "what is prog?"
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Why would you expect non-prog from a station calling itself "ProgRock.com?"
    It's on old joke from the days when Mon40 and I (along with PapaJ, The Lurker, and others) were on the same web-radio station. Mine was the only non-prog show on the station and was quite successful in internet radio terms.

Wow, is Progrock records going down?

Congrats Mark & Rayna!

ProgRock.com and ProgRock records = Apples & Oranges
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

No no. Its just that this cost $80 a month. This lets Shawn focus on the profit making URLs.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

Congrats, Mark and Rayna. Am looking forward to listening.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

It's on old joke from the days when Mon40 and I (along with PapaJ, The Lurker, and others) were on the same web-radio station. Mine was the only non-prog show on the station and was quite successful in internet radio terms.
    And gruno was asked to leave because it was not proggy enough.

You know I was just thinking about that because I listened to Vince and Daisy's show on pod cast. They listed their 20 top songs ever. I think 3 were prog, some progopolis that is?
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

Ahh...gotcha.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Fun Times!

Quote Originally Posted by mon40 View Post
    And gruno was asked to leave because it was not proggy enough.
    I was actually fired before that back in 2003 for doing a live drunk show... that had been promoted as such prior to the airing. Many listeners boycotted the station and the owners and admins wouldn't get into the chat during their shows because everyone was in there waiting for answers. Good times!

In 2005, they implemented a new rule that each show's playlist must consist of a minimum of 85% prog, with no more than 15% being non-prog. That immediately wiped out my show from the roster as I was not going to change my show parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by mon40 View Post
    You know I was just thinking about that because I listened to Vince and Daisy's show on pod cast. They listed their 20 top songs ever. I think 3 were prog, some progopolis that is?
    Well, there ya go...

Hey, good luck with the station! I will try to jump in during your show soon. I sometimes catch The Lurker doing his thing.

each show's playlist must consist of a minimum of 85% prog, with no more than 15% being non-prog
    And who set the criteria what is prog and what isn't?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    gruno was banned...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah I always hated that debate. Because I like it all.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

Discord Server

900 + Podcasts here

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    gruno was banned...
    2nd response like this from you in this thread. Funny... you quivered like a little girl when you said this in another thread just 6 days ago:

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    goodbye Gruno - Ignore me and I'll ignore you and life will be better....
    Guess I have that ultra-magnetic charisma that keeps you coming back for more as you don't know how to follow your own words. I love fans like you!

Some History

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

That was the real kicker! With my radio show, I was set on the reverse: 85% anything, 15% prog, or similar. My show description from day 1 (2003) was the same as 2005. Many listeners would be in the station's chat room during their favorite shows, so you would see the cross pollination of listeners. My show was a hit and I know some liked it because I was the "day off" from prog for them. At times, I featured in-studio guests and live performances that brought in great numbers and new listeners. Some of those new listeners delved deeper within the station and ended up being regular listeners to other shows on the station. I would call that a positive thing for the management there. On the other hand, some DJs and some listeners didn't understand why a non-progger had a show on an all prog station. Some were very upset that it was a highly rated and very popular show. Such is life. My last show there consisted of proggers like Mike Keneally, Bryan Beller, Dave Meros and more, calling in to show support for my show and to wonder what the hell the station was thinking for implementing this new format.

Myself, Mon40, Papa J, The Lurker, and others jumped ship through the years and ended up on different stations. I was courted by a couple of other prog stations to continue my show as-is. I opted to broadcast independently via my own website and things have been better than ever. I fully support most of the DJs who were in the same era as me. We have a cool bond and I often check in on their current shows and happenings. Now, that station that had us all there mainly runs automated shows that are pre-recorded. Back then, every day had live shows.

Interested in any "guest" shows?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"