Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's one view. I have to say the two tracks posted in this thread so far are pretty decent...or at least they resonated with me more than anything from the last few DT albums. But I don't think it's enough to bring me back to DT. I probably just burned out on their early albums.

But the latest Haken album is a different animal. There is nothing here that feels (to me) like it's as rhythmically complex or idea-per-second rich as the Haken album. I prefer the Haken but we all have different tastes.
    Aquarius is a great, interesting album. The demo from 2008 has some excellent stuff. The rest got to the formula - sort of more matured, cohesive, but also boring and less adventurous. The last album has a good track The Veil, the rest is a bit forgettable. Still, their idea of progressive is more interesting than most of DT's.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Aquarius is a great, interesting album. The demo from 2008 has some excellent stuff. The rest got to the formula - sort of more matured, cohesive, but also boring and less adventurous. The last album has a good track The Veil, the rest is a bit forgettable. Still, their idea of progressive is more interesting than most of DT's.
    I like Nil By Mouth, personally. I don't listen to a ton of music in this style, so I only need a couple bands to scratch that itch. Right now, Haken seems to cover that need for me.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's one view. I have to say the two tracks posted in this thread so far are pretty decent...or at least they resonated with me more than anything from the last few DT albums. But I don't think it's enough to bring me back to DT. I probably just burned out on their early albums.
    Same. I didn't burn out on the early albums - they are just much more interesting than most songs after 6DoIT.
    Still, I'll be happy if there are two or three songs I ended up getting.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Same. I didn't burn out on the early albums - they are just much more interesting than most songs after 6DoIT.
    Still, I'll be happy if there are two or three songs I ended up getting.
    I listened to the early DT albums a lot so I don't really need to go back to them these days. In fact, I gave all my DT CDs to my son in recent years. The last few albums didn't do much for me so I've sort of given up on them. Offhand I can't think of any other bands I have done that with. I respect their musicianship and they seem like nice guys, but I guess I've moved on.
    Let's blow this dinosaur heap.

Pretty cool tune. Heavy, crunchy, technical.

Waiting to hear it all in context. I'm surprised that its getting the positive comments. I'm sure I am going to like it. Unless they go back to cookie monster vocals. Hopefully that ship has sailed away with MP.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

Listening to that new track - it's not bad at all, but once again where's the fucking bass???

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Listening to that new track - it's not bad at all, but once again where's the fucking bass???
    It's pretty up front for an air-bass. A change with this after 30 years seems unlikely...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    It's pretty up front for an air-bass. A change with this after 30 years seems unlikely...
    Yes I also thought the bass on that second track was more audible than usual for DT.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I'd say they should be using "darker" tones and context... so often I hear esp in choruses they tend to sound "too happy". Awake was so good because it was so much darker... that'd work it for myself.

I never connected with DT for various reasons. I became a big Haken fan when the Mountain was released, and I often see DT come up in conversations about Haken (and vice-versa). I don't really get the connection, maybe I just need to hear more DT? Anyway, I will say that this new DT seems to resonate with me a little more than any of the other stuff I've heard.

JP and JM talk re Fall Into The Light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0