Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    And here's the first track in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylxuO6dKOw
    The mix is so squashed that some of the sounds seem to be played backwards (not only the cymbals, which is quite common)! It effectively erases all details and nuances that might have been there in the performance! Why? Is it intentional? Sounding better in iPhone speakers?
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Not a bad track. Nothing new, but solid enough to please (or at least placate) most fans after the last album. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it (if my review copy ever shows up!)

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfeuer View Post
    -Mangini looks quite ridiculous hitting stuff 1,50m above his head
    I have to agree, I found that really distracting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm getting Train of Thought near end of song ,meets 6 degrees in first half .
    Not bad track,Mix is lil low for the bass ,until instrumental break ,Then it kicks off.
    Imho first half this song mix ,Is very low in mix.
    But once big instrumental break comes , it is amazing .
    Why is this that way ,No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    And here's the first track in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylxuO6dKOw
    What an ungainly way of playing the cymbals!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What an ungainly way of playing the cymbals!
    That´s why he is grimacing with pain when he raises his arms...

The opening guitar part immediately reminded me of this:

I have this book and play this tune every Christmas on my classical. Did Petrucci rip this off?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I have to admit, I haven't listened to much Dream Theater in a while, thanks to J LeCheese, but I've listened to this song several times, which is kind of weird for me. It sticks in my head, for some reason, maybe it's the barbecue, but I think this could be their next Pull Me Under.

Spending today listening to my review copy in preparation for my interview in the new year (waiting on their availability to determine who it will be with.) Let me just be the first to say this is a huge return to form for DT. I'm only one full listen in so far, but a lot of what I've wished for over the last few albums has come true with this one. So much more focus on melody, and although some of their crazy playing can be found, most of it doesn't tend to be the sort of aimless stuff that bores me quickly. Petrucci goes for a lot of melodic, soaring lead parts too, versus the speedy runs from past albums. It's easily the best of the Mangini lineup to date, IMO. Fall Into The Light is the early favourite to my ears, and Room 137 really stood out as well. Oh, and Viper King is a fun one, it's a different style for them - very Deep Purple-ish, actually.

I think you guys will really dig this one! It's essentially the opposite of The Astonishing in just about every way it can be.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Listened to the song. First off, great musicians, great playing, great technique. LaBrie is impressive to me, for how he's actually gotten better over the years. I couldn't stand his vocals on the early albums that everyone else seems to love, but by 6 Degrees he seemed to be improving. Now, he's my favorite thing about the band. Secondly, I really don't know how anyone can differentiate their songs from each other anymore. That was the problem I had with ADTOE......I coudn't remember a thing about it after it was over. Say what you will about their 6 Degrees through Black Clouds albums, but at least some of the songs stood out and were memorable.

Personally, I liked DT because of the wanking, not in spite of it. Sure, it didn't really give me any emotional response but as a musician, I loved hearing them just go completely off the hook in terms of speed and technique. Impressive, which the instrumental section of this particular track is as well (and you can hear the bass, at least for a little bit).

Anyway, what I've learned over the years is that while DT impresses me with their chops and technique, I don't really enjoy much of the actual music they come up with. For me, that's only gotten worse since Portnoy left, though I agree with others who suggest that it was a good break for both Portnoy and DT.

In any case, I will think about picking this up, as I like the more concise song times and album length and I like LaBrie's vocals at this stage of his career. I do fear there will be at least one Disney ballad, but that could be okay if it's just one or two, and not like the last album where it was 60% of the songs. Like most DT albums, if I do get it I'll listen to it a dozen times or so and then never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The opening guitar part immediately reminded me of this:

I have this book and play this tune every Christmas on my classical. Did Petrucci rip this off?
    That IS incredibly similar. I suspect it's a coincidence though, as it also sounds like other things Petrucci has come up with over the years. Though maybe they were all ripping this off?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Spending today listening to my review copy in preparation for my interview in the new year (waiting on their availability to determine who it will be with.) Let me just be the first to say this is a huge return to form for DT. I'm only one full listen in so far, but a lot of what I've wished for over the last few albums has come true with this one. So much more focus on melody, and although some of their crazy playing can be found, most of it doesn't tend to be the sort of aimless stuff that bores me quickly. Petrucci goes for a lot of melodic, soaring lead parts too, versus the speedy runs from past albums. It's easily the best of the Mangini lineup to date, IMO. Fall Into The Light is the early favourite to my ears, and Room 137 really stood out as well. Oh, and Viper King is a fun one, it's a different style for them - very Deep Purple-ish, actually.

I think you guys will really dig this one! It's essentially the opposite of The Astonishing in just about every way it can be.
    This post makes me happy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So much more focus on melody,
    DT... melody? Since when?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    DT... melody? Since when?
    Lack of melody is what put me off DT for a long time, there are a number of their albums that have very little melody at all but ADTOE brought me back to the band.

I liked the Astonishing (except for the lyrics) and I haven't heard a note of this one (I'll hear it when it goes in the CD player) but I have no doubt I'll like it. Save for about half of Train Of Thought and most of Systematic Chaos (and Anna Lee and Lost, Not Forgotten) I pretty much enjoy everything.

Another new song from the album:

Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-11-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Another new song from the album:

Wow, that song is amazing. The mellow mid-section, and Jordan's keyboard solo... this is the sort of thing I want to hear from Dream Theater. I hope the rest of the album measures up to this!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Wow, that song is amazing. The mellow mid-section, and Jordan's keyboard solo... this is the sort of thing I want to hear from Dream Theater. I hope the rest of the album measures up to this!
    It's my favourite from the album. That sad-sounding Maiden/Priest dual guitar section is something I've never really heard them do before!

Fall Into the Light is quite good.

Six Degrees meets Octavarium in some ways.

Well that gives The Astonishing haters something to chew on!

That must have been leaked, it's gone from YouTube now. Rats, I was hoping to buy it on Amazon later.

Not sure what happened with the link above, but I saw this on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Not sure what happened with the link above, but I saw this on Facebook.
    You're right. It is actually on sale at Amazon, so it's officially been released. Just that YT video link is now gone for some reason.

Edit: Sigh... never mind, my inability to notice new pages in threads strikes again.

The new song is amazing...first thing that has caught my interest from them in years...perhaps there hope for the new one

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    It sounds better than the latest Haken. That's one thing.
    That's one view. I have to say the two tracks posted in this thread so far are pretty decent...or at least they resonated with me more than anything from the last few DT albums. But I don't think it's enough to bring me back to DT. I probably just burned out on their early albums.

But the latest Haken album is a different animal. There is nothing here that feels (to me) like it's as rhythmically complex or idea-per-second rich as the Haken album. I prefer the Haken but we all have different tastes.
    <sig out of order>