Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Probably someone stole from someone! I prefer the DT one, since the Times one looks like one of those fake skulls. Sheesh!

I'm disappointed that the new album isn't The Awesomeness . Then again, I couldn't take anything DT did after 2001...

I'm sorry but it has come to my attention ,Dream Theater is no longer an theater of dreams or magic.
    The music they did years ago and amazed us all with is under new name.
    As you see just like Paul Mccartney ,Was abducted this band was also .

All members are now in new band ,aka Haken .
    The new real true Dream Theater ,Thats why there music has sucked for last few years.
    There udner new name called Haken,This is secret insider info .
    I been passsed on thru my ears ,Digesting Hakens music for last so and so years

Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jesus
    Someone call a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    This one's going to be a game-changer isn't it?

It'll either pull back in those fans who were disappointed with The Astonishing, or it'll turn away even more fans because it fails to break new ground.

It can't possibly live up to the expectations that it'll be in the same league as Images, at least not without a further 20 years of appreciation.

And it sounds like the PR campaign is stalling already, judging by the reactions to the latest interview.

I admit I'm one of those sitting on the fence, not ready to judge until I've heard it, but I'm not in any hurry to buy it either.

It'll be fascinating to see how this plays out.......(maybe if sales tank, they'll issue a special edition titled "The Fascinating"
    Hard not to see this thread as a testament to just how far the mighty have fallen since DT's heyday. I can't think of another band (except for maybe Yes, but this has generally been decades after their peak) that generates such sheer skepticism in advance of a new release. Not that I think it isn't justified, especially in the face of the band's seemingly bone-headed determination to repeatedly release albums featuring the same flaws, but it's still sad nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Hard not to see this thread as a testament to just how far the mighty have fallen since DT's heyday. I can't think of another band (except for maybe Yes, but this has generally been decades after their peak) that generates such sheer skepticism in advance of a new release. Not that I think it isn't justified, especially in the face of the band's seemingly bone-headed determination to repeatedly release albums featuring the same flaws, but it's still sad nonetheless.
    I actually see DT's trajectory as similar to that of Spock's Beard. Except SB's adherents seem to be a bit more faithful than those of DT. And BTW, I don't really have strong feelings about either band being good or bad, because I was never a big fan of either - overall they're just not really my cup o' noodles (ha-ha). I saw SB once at Progfest, and DT once on the 6DOIT tour, and that was really enough for me. Probably both bands at their peak.

I did see about 15 minutes of SB on CTTE, which was enough for me too.

DISTANCE OVER TIME - 22 FEBRUARY 2019

1. Untethered Angel (6:14)
    2. Paralyzed (4:17)
    3. Fall Into The Light (7:04)
    4. Barstool Warrior (6:43)
    5. Room 137 (4:23)
    6. S2N (6:21)
    7. At Wit’s End (9:20)
    8. Out Of Reach (4:04)
    9. Pale Blue Dot (8:25)
    10. Viper King (4:00) (Bonus)

...interesting... 10 songs, no real epic lengths... similar album setup as Falling Into Infinity was. Could be good!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    DISTANCE OVER TIME - 22 FEBRUARY 2019

1. Untethered Angel (6:14)
    2. Paralyzed (4:17)
    3. Fall Into The Light (7:04)
    4. Barstool Warrior (6:43)
    5. Room 137 (4:23)
    6. S2N (6:21)
    7. At Wit’s End (9:20)
    8. Out Of Reach (4:04)
    9. Pale Blue Dot (8:25)
    10. Viper King (4:00) (Bonus)

...interesting... 10 songs, no real epic lengths... similar album setup as Falling Into Infinity was. Could be good!

I wonder if "Pale Blue Dot" is a cover of the Sound of Contact song by the same title, or a new song that re-uses the same Carl Sagan reference.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wonder if "Pale Blue Dot" is a cover of the Sound of Contact song by the same title, or a new song that re-uses the same Carl Sagan reference.
    I'm guessing a different song. In the interview posted above, John Petrucci spoke of a song that "screams album closer." So buckle up, everyone who hates audience-with-lighters-songs... I think that may be one of them!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm guessing a different song. In the interview posted above, John Petrucci spoke of a song that "screams album closer." So buckle up, everyone who hates audience-with-lighters-songs... I think that may be one of them!
    Ten years ago I saw a live Simple Minds song on youtube and thought it was funny how thousands of smart phones held high had replaced those lighters.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm sure when people listen to it screams will be involved in some way.

Pre orders are up on Burning Shed, looks like DT have pushed the boat out this time with multiple/special editions

https://burningshed.com/store/Inside...ter+06+12+2018

Track list:
    1. Untethered Angel 00:06:14
    2. Paralyzed 00:04:17
    3. Fall Into The Light 00:07:04
    4. Barstool Warrior 00:06:43
    5. Room 137 00:04:23
    6. S2N 00:06:21
    7. At Wit’s End 00:09:20
    8. Out Of Reach 00:04:04
    9. Pale Blue Dot 00:08:25

Bonus Track
    10. Viper King 00:04:00

And here's the first track in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gylxuO6dKOw

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ^^ No denying that's Dream Theater. Sounded great to my ears!

I like it. But one thing still bothers me about the production since Portnoy left and JP has control, there's very little bottom end for John's bass and Mike's drum kit. Their tracks just sound too damn clean to me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Watched the video. A few thoughts:

• I think someone lowered Mangini's stool without telling him first. Not cool.
    • There are an unusual number of food shots.
    • It continues to amaze me how often Petrucci manages to make sure his biceps are prominent so often. They ARE admirable.
    • There is an insane amount of technical virtuosity across the five of them. Doubly impressive to me is how much they're able to flex those chops but NOT trip all over each other in a big muddy mess. I sincerely wish I even had a fraction of their discipline in this regard.
    • Labrie may not be everyone's cuppa, but it is frankly impressive as hell how strong he STILL is decades on. Especially given the struggles he had at one point, he could easily have ended up going the Steve Walsh or Ian Anderson route. Kudos to him.
    • Rudess using an organ controller/synth was interesting to see. Not the instrument I usually associate with his playing.
    • DT rarely picks the best tune to be the lead-off single for their albums. IMHO this is no exception.
    • They aren't an autobuy for me anymore but I will give this a fair sampling to see what else might be in the mix. I actually really enjoyed the self-titled album and wouldn't at all mind seeing another album along those lines in terms of songwriting.

Like others, I can't say DT engages me as strongly as it once did. But that's on me and my own shifting tastes; DT has been nothing if not very clear about the sort of band they are, the music they wish to make. Without snark or sarcasm, nothing but respect to those who still love what they do.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

The opening vocal melody reminds me of Transatlantic's "Duel With The Devil" -- and it doesn't help that the vocal processing seems to be giving LaBrie a Neal Morse quality!

I like it though. Very Dream Theater but I do like some of the different things that Jordan is trying out.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post

Meh. Another reminder that, post-Astonishing debacle, DT were unlikely to make a bad album as such. Just another one.

It sounds good to me, back in the style of the previous 2 albums.

The first three minutes have some good spots. Then after that there's that instrumental section which is just boring. Their work is very patchy. A couple good moments between a lot of mechanical stuff.
    The fact that Rudess tries out something new doesn't change the overall impression of the keyboard parts.
    It sounds better than the latest Haken. That's one thing.

Nothing really new here but 2 notes:
    -Mangini looks quite ridiculous hitting stuff 1,50m above his head
    -Myung is still the best bass player you never heard

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfeuer View Post
    -Myung is still the best bass player you never heard
    Haha!
    The instrumental section actually looks like it's playing on fast forward because it's so ridiculously fast.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

If you want to do "pretentious" long instrumental sections in an interesting way...well, Rush had in in them. The first six minutes here are great

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I still listen to a lot of albums from the Rolling Stones from the '70s. I think their last "great" album was Some Girls and the last album to have a great Stones song was Tatoo You. Yes, they have made several more albums since then, but...

Dream Theater is not unlike any other band who's been around for more than two decades and that they follow a formula. It's just that they seem to have run out of ideas. Even a very good album like Train of Thought borrowed heavily from the metal scene around it. More power to them if they're making a living. Like a lot of old bands, they give me a sense of "I already own this".