Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's one view. I have to say the two tracks posted in this thread so far are pretty decent...or at least they resonated with me more than anything from the last few DT albums. But I don't think it's enough to bring me back to DT. I probably just burned out on their early albums.

But the latest Haken album is a different animal. There is nothing here that feels (to me) like it's as rhythmically complex or idea-per-second rich as the Haken album. I prefer the Haken but we all have different tastes.
    Aquarius is a great, interesting album. The demo from 2008 has some excellent stuff. The rest got to the formula - sort of more matured, cohesive, but also boring and less adventurous. The last album has a good track The Veil, the rest is a bit forgettable. Still, their idea of progressive is more interesting than most of DT's.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Aquarius is a great, interesting album. The demo from 2008 has some excellent stuff. The rest got to the formula - sort of more matured, cohesive, but also boring and less adventurous. The last album has a good track The Veil, the rest is a bit forgettable. Still, their idea of progressive is more interesting than most of DT's.
    I like Nil By Mouth, personally. I don't listen to a ton of music in this style, so I only need a couple bands to scratch that itch. Right now, Haken seems to cover that need for me.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's one view. I have to say the two tracks posted in this thread so far are pretty decent...or at least they resonated with me more than anything from the last few DT albums. But I don't think it's enough to bring me back to DT. I probably just burned out on their early albums.
    Same. I didn't burn out on the early albums - they are just much more interesting than most songs after 6DoIT.
    Still, I'll be happy if there are two or three songs I ended up getting.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Same. I didn't burn out on the early albums - they are just much more interesting than most songs after 6DoIT.
    Still, I'll be happy if there are two or three songs I ended up getting.
    I listened to the early DT albums a lot so I don't really need to go back to them these days. In fact, I gave all my DT CDs to my son in recent years. The last few albums didn't do much for me so I've sort of given up on them. Offhand I can't think of any other bands I have done that with. I respect their musicianship and they seem like nice guys, but I guess I've moved on.
    <sig out of order>

Pretty cool tune. Heavy, crunchy, technical.

Waiting to hear it all in context. I'm surprised that its getting the positive comments. I'm sure I am going to like it. Unless they go back to cookie monster vocals. Hopefully that ship has sailed away with MP.

Listening to that new track - it's not bad at all, but once again where's the fucking bass???

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Listening to that new track - it's not bad at all, but once again where's the fucking bass???
    It's pretty up front for an air-bass. A change with this after 30 years seems unlikely...

It's pretty up front for an air-bass. A change with this after 30 years seems unlikely...
    Yes I also thought the bass on that second track was more audible than usual for DT.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I'd say they should be using "darker" tones and context... so often I hear esp in choruses they tend to sound "too happy". Awake was so good because it was so much darker... that'd work it for myself.

I never connected with DT for various reasons. I became a big Haken fan when the Mountain was released, and I often see DT come up in conversations about Haken (and vice-versa). I don't really get the connection, maybe I just need to hear more DT? Anyway, I will say that this new DT seems to resonate with me a little more than any of the other stuff I've heard.

JP and JM talk re Fall Into The Light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

I can't watch this at work, but does JM just say the same things JP is saying, but at a lower volume?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't watch this at work, but does JM just say the same things JP is saying, but at a lower volume?
    He actually talks a bit about writing the lyrics for this tune (apparently he wrote another one too, the first time he's ever had two lyrics on one DT album).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's a BIT like Petrucci is trying to gently encourage Myung to say more, only for Myung to say a couple of sentences followed by an awkward silence.

I listened to this song again today. I don't know WHY I like it so much, honestly. I can imagine some hardcore musos coming in and tearing it apart. But for some reason, it just feels like they've finally fallen into (see what I did there?) a sound economy that fits them better. It doesn't feel like they're trying so hard; the weedly-weedly mile-a-minute stuff is there but it's kept to a tasteful minimum.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I put a 12-inch 300-watt powered sub in my SUV...............when I get the bass up where it needs to be, DT sounds much better...............Myung is exceptional.

And an octave down.....

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    the weedly-weedly mile-a-minute stuff is there but it's kept to a tasteful minimum.
    Tasteful minimum = 5 seconds.

They aren't there yet.

Fall Into The Light main riff is great, I can even hear bass in the beginning of that (then it weirdly goes away in mid section), however vocal melodies are too soft/happy/melancholic/predictable etc which clashes with agressive musical context. Hammond tone is strange too...

Studio walk thru/Q&A - some trivial questions - but good anyway - JM talks - again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rIW...st=WL&index=11

Prog Magazine has given it the thumbs up.

There's an extensive interview with LaBrie and Petrucci, which threw up some interesting things - using a different guy to mix the album, Petrucci being more hands-off and letting the guy come up with his own ideas of which guitar solos to include, and addressing the issue of the diminished drums on previous albums.

To all intents, it reads like they were keen to break from past practices and go for broke with this album - possibly because it's their first on Insideout.

The album also gets a review by Rich Wilson, who wrote the Lifting Shadows DT biography. His book demonstrated a good insight into the band's music across the board, and he reckons this new one is a big improvement.

He acknowledges the criticisms aired by fans over the last few years, and while being discrete enough not to quantify them in print, you can read between the lines that he thinks this album addresses most of those criticisms. (Not all of them - there's still a bit of overplaying at times).

I'm still going to sit on the fence and wait for more general reaction once the album is out there, but if Rich is speaking positively about it, I'm certainly a bit more interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    .............there's still a bit of overplaying at times.
    Not these guys !

I'm fresh off the phone with Jordan Rudess after a nice little interview (too short at 23 minutes, but it wasn't my call) about the new album as well as a few other subjects like the upcoming SFAM anniversary tour, his piano tour from last year, and what he thinks of online criticism. He was a super cool guy to talk to - very friendly, very chatty. Despite the short length, he gave me plenty to work with for the article. I was happy to be able to honestly tell him that I really enjoy the new album. And I made sure to include Viper King, because I wanted him to know how cool it was to hear such a Deep Purple-ish track on a DT album!

BTW his favourite track on the album is Pale Blue Dot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Tasteful minimum = 5 seconds.

They aren't there yet.
    I think I know why the noodling never bothers me. When they go off on some amazing tangent of strings of notes, being a musician myself, I can see in my mind just what they are doing, and it just makes me smile. Super techie musicianship has always impressed me. Its something someone has to work on for what for me would be an eternity. If they never displayed their wizardry, I would be much more bored with their music. If you cant do a decent melody, then throw a bunch of notes out there and people like me, who know just what that takes, get their minds blown. Technical prowess will never go out of style for me. It may not be for everyone, but hey, neither are lyrics.