Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Spot on. I fear that they have they have to make metal albums to please their fans. I would love them to make a full blown prog album, I'm sure they have it in them to do something completely different and mind blowing but alas it wont happen under the Dream Theater name.
    That was what The Astonishing was supposed to be. There wasn't a single note of metal in it, and it was supposed to be "something completely different and mind blowing". We heared the result. On a general note, they don't make metal albums anymore since Mike Portnoy left.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Honestly, it sounds exactly like what I'd expect these days from DT. The band has failed to really hook me since FII. I know a lot of folks hate that record, but for me it was the last one that really did anything for me. The only one I like w/ Jordan on it is SFAM. My fave will always be 'Awake'.
    You're not the only one with fond memories of FII. Yeah, there's some filler on that record, but "New Millenium", "Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand", and "Trial of Tears" are really good tunes that still get regular listens. I actually think that Disc 1 of Six Degrees was the last DT output I really liked, then I kept buying in hopes of better output. I still have a soft spot for them, as I think they helped keep prog alive in the 90s and introduced new fans to the genre.

I know I'm a broken record with this, but since the subject has come up again: What they are in desperate need of is a producer. Someone to say "No, you're not adding sixteen more bars of robotic, aimless notes to the end of this song just to stretch it out" or "No, you're not doing a double CD of Disney ballads with sickeningly syrupy lyrics." Or "No, Jordan, put the iPad away and sit down at the piano instead." Someone to get them back to songwriting, melodies and inspiration. Might be tense at first, but my honest feeling is that we'd see results.

I remain hopeful as always, but three or four albums of wasted talent in a row have left a lot of DT fans feeling like the disappointed woman who just slept with the handsome, well-endowed young stud that had no idea how to do it right.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    IMO - their best production was on Awake and I remember speaking with MP pre SFAM on how that experience informed his drum sound from there forward.
    I still think FII is their best-produced album, though Awake is good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The Astonishing was the first of theirs I didn't buy.
    I bought it the week it came out and still haven't listened to it all the way through.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, there sure are a lot of people on this forum who are very excited about the new album. Gives them something new to bash.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Well, there sure are a lot of people on this forum who are very excited about the new album. Gives them something new to bash.
    That is probably the most ignorant comment I've heard today.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    His comment sounded right on the money to me.

I typically avoid commenting on bands I don't enjoy (of which there are quite a few on here) but some people not only feel the need to do so but want to feel clever as they do it and get confirmation from their online friends.

I don't think any band which tries to play progressive music of any kind deserves this kind of treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    His comment sounded right on the money to me.

I typically avoid commenting on bands I don't enjoy (of which there are quite a few on here) but some people not only feel the need to do so but want to feel clever as they do it and get confirmation from their online friends.

I don't think any band which tries to play progressive music of any kind deserves this kind of treatment.
    Well thank you for setting the standards by which none of us can make negative comments about bands or their albums, especially one's we used to love.
    If you read my comment, I said I was excited by the prospect after watching Jim's YT vlogs during the making of this album, but after listening to the trailer I was disappointed. I stuck with the band through Black Clouds and the one following that, but had already felt DT had peaked out, and they were recycling material from previous albums.

I don't know if people have a version of life where everything is rainbows and butterflies and we can't say something negative, and I'm sorry your last comment borders on whining.

I think the discussion here has been quite gentle, but people did express having given up on DT. I never got the impression after reading the comments, that people were hating on DT. We shared our disappointment.

This is a music forum, we discuss all things about bands, albums, and not everything is about how much we love them.
    It's a forum, that's what we do.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    I typically avoid commenting on bands I don't enjoy
    Same here. My comment was about a band I do enjoy.

I don't know if people have a version of life where everything is rainbows and butterflies and we can't say something negative, and I'm sorry your last comment borders on whining.

I think the discussion here has been quite gentle, but people did express having given up on DT. I never got the impression after reading the comments, that people were hating on DT. We shared our disappointment.

This is a music forum, we discuss all things about bands, albums, and not everything is about how much we love them.
    It's a forum, that's what we do.
    ^^^ Agreed. I even pointed out that I remain hopeful. I always buy the albums and I go in with fresh ears. I don't much care for the last three albums in a row, and that's a serious drop in my view - and I'll comment on that. What the reasonable, rational people here think and what the inconsolable fanboys think is ultimately of little importance.

Either way, bring on this new one. It might be a return to their finer days (IMO) and the comments here will swing more to the positive side.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I will pick this up, been on musical sabbatical I didnt realize this was out already. I'm a musican, and there is nothing anyone who is NOT a musician can say that will detract me from anything DT releases. It is such a pleasure to hear a band with this level of virtuosity. Even when the are wanking level 5, it still makes me smile. I know what kind of work it takes to be so adept at your instrument. I play enough guitar, bass, drums, keys and vocals that it is just a joy to hear such talent. No one wears a wank better than DT - and I deeply appreciate the work it takes to maintain this level of musicianship. Its all just my opinion. of course. but I have an informed opinion. Not that anyone else's is not worthwhile, I just appreciate my own, and feel fully justified in my enjoyment of this great band. I like Mangini's drumming, its so much less frantic sounding than Portnoys drumming was. Of course Mike P was killer in Neil Morse's Similitude. Not one overplayed, forced drum lick in the entire album. I think it has been better for both DT and MP that he left.

If you want to see real DT-bashing, all you need to do is head over to Blabbermouth.

Folk here have been far more balanced in their views, and I sense others like myself, who still enjoy the majority of the catalogue are simply growing apart from the band.

Personally, the last three albums have been disappointing experiences for me, capped off by a disappointing show in 2012. But that's not denying that they are still very popular and respected, and talented musicians.

It's just, for me at least, the music isn't evoking any excitement any more, whereas other bands in the progressive metal field are stimulating me. At the end of the day, there are only a finite number of hours to listen to bands, and DT no longer feel like a worthy investment of my time when then are so many other bands that are paying dividends.

I think MP's departure was good for him - he's evidently in a much happier place as a person and a player, being able to flourish under the different drumming skills needed for the different musicians he plays for.

But DT, despite their promises at the time to step up their interaction with fans, have simply let things slide - part of the fun of following the band was MP's regular engagement with fans via social media and Ytsejam releases, and generating excitement about a forthcoming release. Now it just feels a bit distant and closed off, with corporate soundbites.

Just my personal view, but maybe explains why I'm holding fire on the new album and letting others share their views, before deciding whether or not to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I will pick this up, been on musical sabbatical I didnt realize this was out already.
    It's out in February.

Well, it's been a long time since I hit someone's nerve. Interesting. My question was how there could be so much bashing based on a one-minute clip.

Let me refresh your memory because this is what you wrote, "gives them something new to bash".
    Which if you read the thread, the discussion was more of disappointment and personal opinions as to why DT fans are no longer buying their albums. Far from bashing.
    If you want the definition of bashing, re-read the Yes and ARW threads.

It's all good, I just took exception of your comment towards the community here. Lot of good posters, informative and passionate about music and the people who make it. Yes, a few disrail threads with bashing, extreme negativity and good ol vitriol.

It's out in February.

Well, it's been a long time since I hit someone's nerve. Interesting. My question was how there could be so much bashing based on a one-minute clip.
    My nerves are fine, and your comment didn't give me the shakes, thank you.
    I wrote and it still stands true for me, if people enjoy the present lineup of DT and the music they are writing/recording, then good for you, enjoy it, they're no longer doing it for me.
    Enjoy the weekend, and I think I'll pull out Images and Words later today.

I've tried to like DT after Portnoy left, but it seems like the personality of the band is gone. I've tried to listen and appreciate the last few albums, but they just leave me cold; lots of tight playing, but no emotional impact. That short clip did nothing to encourage me. My guess is that Portnoy was right - they should've taken a break and recharged their batteries.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

well said, that's how I feel as well.

the only thing missing is the press release touting it as the best thing since Images and Words.

I tried to like this band when I got on my prog kick around 1999/2000. I had I&W but 86d it. I'm listening to Awake on YT. James L sounds better here. Heavy album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    That was what The Astonishing was supposed to be. There wasn't a single note of metal in it, and it was supposed to be "something completely different and mind blowing". We heared the result. On a general note, they don't make metal albums anymore since Mike Portnoy left.

It was pretty mind-blowing. The lyrics are to blame.

My nerves are fine, and your comment didn't give me the shakes, thank you.
    No hard feelings - keep rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I've tried to like DT after Portnoy left, but it seems like the personality of the band is gone. I've tried to listen and appreciate the last few albums, but they just leave me cold; lots of tight playing, but no emotional impact. That short clip did nothing to encourage me. My guess is that Portnoy was right - they should've taken a break and recharged their batteries.
    Its funny, I completely disagree. For me its like they've had a new lease of life since Portnoy left. From Dramatic Events alone, songs like On The Backs Of Angels, Outcry and especially Breaking all Illusions are just incredible - huge emotional and musical impact there for me. Re The Astonishing, I agree that its overlong, the story sucks a bit and there are some cheesy bits but I made an abridged 1 CD version of it which I totally love.

No hard feelings - keep rocking.
    I like that, thank you.

Nice new 45-minute audio interview with James Labrie - he talks up the new album, the upcoming tour, what fans could expect from the band in terms of setlist and interpretation of their Scenes From A Memory album that will be they'll be playing on the tour.

Jon Neudorf
    Looking forward to listening. Thanks for posting.

Jon

Its funny, I completely disagree. For me its like they've had a new lease of life since Portnoy left. From Dramatic Events alone, songs like On The Backs Of Angels, Outcry and especially Breaking all Illusions are just incredible - huge emotional and musical impact there for me. Re The Astonishing, I agree that its overlong, the story sucks a bit and there are some cheesy bits but I made an abridged 1 CD version of it which I totally love.
    I still listen to the eponymous album on a regular basis; for me it was DT's best album since Falling Into Infinity (though not close to that exalted standard overall), and I was particularly gratified that just for once YOU COULD HEAR THE BASS!!. The Astonishing was a truly appalling, though - an embarrassingly wrong move whose sheer awfulness was encapsulated for me in Petrucci's assertion that the first thing he thought of after having the initial conceptual ideas was how it could be spun off into other forms of merchandising. Pure music as 'product,' and for me at least deeply distasteful. That what then followed was bloated showtune hell undergirded by a third-grade Game of Thrones knock-off plot was just the icing on the cake.

there are some cheesy bits but I made an abridged 1 CD version of it which I totally love.
    Can you post those songs? Thanks!