Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    If you cant do a decent melody, then throw a bunch of notes out there
    That's the whole DT ethos right there
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Agreed.

Their better albums, for me, are the ones that lean more towards melody than "bunch of notes."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another new track; Paralysed.

Sounds like a good combination of heaviness and melody to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7m7...st=WL&index=21

the animation in the new video for Paralyzed reminds me a ton of the intro/credits for HBO's WESTWORLD.

the song is okay, not as good as Fall Into the Light, but I need to listen to it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Another new track; Paralysed.

Sounds like a good combination of heaviness and melody to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7m7...st=WL&index=21
    It's interesting... the meat of the song itself is still DT trying to be nu-metal, but again the middle section is slow and melodic and interesting. They really are trying to break their usual songwriting patterns with this album, and I appreciate it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

New interview recorded in December with JP & JLB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilIFuCe7TuY

John Myung speaks about recording his bass and tone. The interviewer is not brave enough to ask him if we could actually hear the bass on the new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-i...&index=10&t=0s

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    John Myung speaks about recording his bass and tone. The interviewer is not brave enough to ask him if we could actually hear the bass on the new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-i...&index=10&t=0s
    Dream Theater has bass player?
    The Prog Corner

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Dream Theater has bass player?
    https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...ass-player.jpg
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agreed.

Their better albums, for me, are the ones that lean more towards melody than "bunch of notes."
    In their best albums, they have the perfect balance between melody and technique.

I'm not a big fan of DT trying to be too melodic and commercial, as they did in "falling into infinity".
    In Metropolis Pt2, they had much more success in their formula.

Quote Originally Posted by expresso View Post
    In their best albums, they have the perfect balance between melody and technique.

I'm not a big fan of DT trying to be too melodic and commercial, as they did in "falling into infinity".
    In Metropolis Pt2, they had much more success in their formula.
    That's the thing, though. They can't hide their technique. It's just how they write and play.

FII and SFaM are two of my favorites, and I don't see much on FII that would have been played on the radio.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't see much on FII that would have been played on the radio.
    "Burning My Soul" got radio play when it was new.

Big fan of Six Degrees and Dramatic Turn of Events. I have huge doubts about the new one. I might not even listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Big fan of Six Degrees and Dramatic Turn of Events. I have huge doubts about the new one. I might not even listen to it.
    Awesome.

i like three tracks Room 137, S2N, and At Wit's End...the rest...completely SHELVED.

Mine is on its way to me, from what I've heard I'm hoping for the best. Its amazing how DT fans can listen to the same album and come out with wildly differing opinions as if they were listening to completely different music.

Good interview with JP here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daf8VzPApak

I don't see much on FII that would have been played on the radio.
    What? They put THREE ballads on the album in an effort to placate the label.

The eons are closing
    They wanted Silent Lucidity...
    They got "Youuuuuuuu Not Meeeeeeeeeee"
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Yup, just like in 1961-91 it's still the bad fatties in suits munching their cigars up against the mighty tophat who rule the game, having figured how a balladeering DT will appeal way more than the uncompromizingly tough, metallic one.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mind you, 'Anna Lee' is one of my favourite Dream Theater songs, so go figure... I'd much rather listen to Falling Into Infinity than quite a few of their other albums.

After the epic rubbishness of The Astonishing, I'm cautiously optimistic that this new one might be a return to form - but I've not really enjoyed them wholeheartedly since Portnoy left, despite trying my best. Indeed, I haven't really liked any album since Octavarium (and the Score live album).

My first impressions on Distance Over Time are disappointing.

I'm not going to be demanding and compare it with the classics, but it doesn't even come close with their previous efforts.

Dream Theater (2013) had memorable moments, a combination of catchy prog songs, a ballad and an epic.
    With The Astonishing at least they tried something different, it has its moments even though the duration of the album is too long.

In Distance Over time nothing stands out, i can't find many memorable moments.
    Petrucci and the production totally overshadows everyone and everything.

I think it's time they did some radical changes. Maybe get Portnoy back and a new producer to keep the balance between the musicians and give them some new vibes..

For me, it's by far the best of the four post-Portnoy albums, and perhaps better than the last one with him as well. I find memorable melodies all throughout, and I often have that middle section of Fall Into The Light running through my head. Different tastes I suppose!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    For me, it's by far the best of the four post-Portnoy albums, and perhaps better than the last one with him as well. I find memorable melodies all throughout, and I often have that middle section of Fall Into The Light running through my head. Different tastes I suppose!
    That happens very often with DT's music!
    I can't stand FII, other people consider it the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Encouraging... really looking forward to a full listen... and I think that middle section of Fall into the Light is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    And they were all top 10 singles, right?