Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I am surprised that no one is talking about the bonus track, "Viper King." I think it's a killer track. It's like Deep Purple goes metal with 7-string guitars. It's a very different sounding track for DT, but it's a monster of a song.
    I like it................agree with "very different" for DT.
    It was composed by LaBrie (he owns a Dodge Viper).

The eons are closing
    Interesting. On first listen, I rolled my eyes a bit at that riff. It has that feeling of trying too hard to be accessible. Then again, maybe it worked. I actually like the riff, but I like the rest of the song better.
    At that point on my first listen of the album, I was so tired of the "Magellan by Numbers" feel of the prior tracks that those 61 seconds (and i looked just as that riff ended) were like manna from heaven.

The remainder of that song is good too, but man I needed that riff at that moment....
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Saw the Distance Over Time/SFAM tour at the sold out Le Capitole theater in Quebec on Sat.
    The theater is a gorgeous vintage space with comfortable seating and great sight lines
    at least from vantage point of 2nd row balcony. Sound was solid except maybe a little too much
    bass drum volume at times.

First time hearing the new album songs - ho hum to good potential.
    After short intermission-SFAM performed in entirety .
    Never thought would get this chance to see it live- Glad I did !!

Never understood the SFAM haters.
    Truly a benchmark of progressive metal with bombastic themes,
    mind bending technical prowess, hook melodies & even the occasional
    thoughtful lyrical passage.

At this performance even the notorious LaBrie was on point throughout
    with his rare vocal improvs actually working.
    As for Petrucci-Rudess-Myung & Mangini simply "musicians" musicians.!!!

If you are fortunate enough to attend this show, pay special attention
    to JP when cranks his Blue Majesty guitar possibly the greatest guitar tone
    to ever grace the sound waves........

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    Truly a benchmark of progressive metal with bombastic themes,
    mind bending technical prowess, hook melodies & even the occasional
    thoughtful lyrical passage.
    Agreed -- SFAM is, arguably, their best work.
    And I like the new stuff too.
    Fourth row -- Nashville -- April 17th -- I'm there.

I'm not an SFAM hater, I just don't get it. Tried to like it but just don't. I'm likely in the minority in thinking the last 4 DT albums are the best they've ever done. Before that I find their work very patchy with only Images & Words, Awake, Falling Into Infinity & Octavarium standing out. But hey, if you take 100 DT fans you'll get 100 different opinions!

Because it is "overwrought", to be polite.

For me, the least interesting of their albums up to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, their last good album until now.

Opinions do seem to differ a lot. I have a very good friend who loves DT, and his favorite album by them is Train of Thought. Although he says that SFAM is probably their best one from a technical standpoint, he just loves Train of Thought and how heavy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    he just loves Train of Thought and how heavy it is.
    When I listened to Train of Thought at a store, I almost cried. I later heard MP3 files and thought the first and last songs were pretty good but the magic was over, not just half over as with the case of Six Degrees.

I've tried again with the new DT songs...just boring.

DT was incredible last night in Red Bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    DT was incredible last night in Red Bank!
    Glad you enjoyed it, would you like to expand on your post?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Opinions do seem to differ a lot. I have a very good friend who loves DT, and his favorite album by them is Train of Thought. Although he says that SFAM is probably their best one from a technical standpoint, he just loves Train of Thought and how heavy it is.
    Train Of Thought is my favorite DT album also.

New one did not do anything for me. Boring stuff.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Train Of Thought is my favorite DT album also.

New one did not do anything for me. Boring stuff.
    Interesting, I love "TOT" as well and I'm enjoying the new one a lot.
    Chad

Interesting, I love "TOT" as well and I'm enjoying the new one a lot.
    Also interesting, I really loathe ToT and love the new one!

Its another great album by one of my favorite bands - I only discovered DT in 2005, so they are relatively new to me. Mangini's drums sound a bit better, still too much compression on them. The snare is more snappy than before, I have been quite disappointed in Mangini's overall drum sound - Too much 80's style production. but just not quite there for my taste. Mung's bass is up a bit in the mix, and he is playing his own parts and not just mimicking the guitar. I think he would benefit from a more distorted -Geddy type sound. He's an awesome bassist, but his tone does get lost, because Petrucci's guitar just kind of hogs all the bandwidth. The songwriting is strong on this album, and of course, the musicianship is off the charts amazing. Mangini is such an effortless drummer, he really shines on this album. I do hear some similarities in some of the riffs, comparing to earlier albums...
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

I caught the tour two nights ago in Nashville.
    Anyone on the fence about deciding to go see this tour can be confident that you need to see this show..............fantastic.

The four songs from the new album are great to hear............but the most impressive moments are IN THE PRESENCE OF ENEMIES, PART 1 -- A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER -- and THE DANCE OF ETERNITY.
    The selection of these three tunes is an example of lengthy drummer torture.
    The four instrumentalists display uncommon and amazing technical skills all night -- but especially in these three songs.

I was getting pretty bored with Dream Theater. About five years ago, I stopped listening to them. Totally missed out on the last couple of albums. For whatever reason, I decided to stream this one through Amazon Prime. Love it. Now I'm going back and listening to what I've missed and I'm enjoying the journey.

So, I guess the break helped me fall back in love with Dream Theater. It was needed I guess.

^^ Since originally discovering them way back when with the first album I've had quite a few breaks too. Personally I think they are currently on a roll.

My mother came to visit us in China from the UK on Thursday, bringing with her my copy of the new DT album. I managed to listen to the first four tracks this morning, and I have to admit that on first listen it's not doing much for me - kind of much like the last two albums, but less interesting. I'll have to listen to the rest and spend some more time with it to see if the album grows on me, but in all honesty with so much other great stuff out there to listen to, and with so little listening time, I'm not going to push the boat out here. Ok, Distance Over Time is not the all-out disaster that was The Astonishing, but first impressions tend to suggest that it's not much more than a return to the consistent mediocrity of the last 15-16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    My mother came to visit us in China from the UK on Thursday, bringing with her my copy of the new DT album. I managed to listen to the first four tracks this morning, and I have to admit that on first listen it's not doing much for me - kind of much like the last two albums, but less interesting. I'll have to listen to the rest and spend some more time with it to see if the album grows on me, but in all honesty with so much other great stuff out there to listen to, and with so little listening time, I'm not going to push the boat out here. Ok, Distance Over Time is not the all-out disaster that was The Astonishing, but first impressions tend to suggest that it's not much more than a return to the consistent mediocrity of the last 15-16 years.
    This describes quite perfectly my own feelings about Distance Over Time.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I needed quite a few plays to get into it, now I love it, one of their best so keep listening, you only get out what you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I needed quite a few plays to get into it, now I love it, one of their best so keep listening, you only get out what you put in.
    That may be true, but listening to music is not meant to be the equivalent of preparing for a university finals examination, therefore I have to question how much effort I really want to put in.

I just recalled an album with James LaBrie on many or all the songs that came out around 2003 to 2005 but can't find it on Wikipedia. It had a light blue cover but not a LaBrie solo. Does anyone know the name of this album?

(I found it on his website: Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow)

The eons are closing
    That may be true, but listening to music is not meant to be the equivalent of preparing for a university finals examination, therefore I have to question how much effort I really want to put in.
    Mark - Generally you and I agree re DT for last 15 years or so. IMO - the album is 'better' after Track 4 (relative to itself). Some great moments that make you remember when a DT had more great moments per album.

2nd best of Mangini era releases fwiw.

- Thomas
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Mark - Generally you and I agree re DT for last 15 years or so. IMO - the album is 'better' after Track 4 (relative to itself). Some great moments that make you remember when a DT had more great moments per album.

2nd best of Mangini era releases fwiw.

- Thomas
    Thanks Thomas, I do intend to keep persevering as time allows...