Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling a little under-dressed...

Banned
    Lots of great suggestions, but I throw in my 2 cents: "dark" prog? Then VDGG Pawn Hearts is an absolute must along with much of their catalog. Universe Zero, Present, Art Zoyd are good recommendations already made but are in a different realm from mainstream prog rock (if there is such a thing) and in the realm of RIO/Chamber Rock with AZ mutating into minimalism/atmospheric electronics. But all great stuff that will expand your musical horizons.

... and speaking of RIO (rock in opposition) the place to start IMO is Henry Cow who I think are genius. You could start with the first, Legend which is more jazzy/Canterbury the next one Unrest which is darker and more avant, move on In Praise of Learning - a powerhouse that includes the great Dagmar Krause on vocals or the last Western Culture which is a dizzying instrumental tour de force.

Anyway you're in the right place - being exposed to new things and learning is the essence of becoming a prog snob, however admitting your ignorance is disqualifying!

<edit> you just got Scrotum Scissors take and since he's a walking encyclopedia of wonderful and arcane musical knowledge I'd go what that. But for Present I would start with Triskaidekaphobia - how can you not listen to an album whose title means "The fear of the number 13" if you are looking for dark prog?
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 11-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    -
    You dropped the year of release from at least five titles there, you goddarn elitist prog-snobmobile!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Scrotum Scissor (best name ever) THANKS for that list!!!! That will no doubt keep me VERY busy in the years to come!

Thanks to everyone for being cool!

IncogNeato: if you refuse to acknowledge that the answer to everything there is may be 42, may i cautiously postulate that the answer to everything else is

TiM SMiTH.

or

CARDiACS.

either way, enjoy. and don't hate us!

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

CARDiACS.

either way, enjoy. and don't hate us!
    Not something I would describe as 'dark prog' but......

Best band ever to grace this planet.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I am having a great time in my journey digging into old prog. I'm 47 and when I explore music, I tend to look backwards, not necessarily for the new thing.

I look to places like ProgressiveEars for more information on these bands and for the most part I completely enjoy my perusing of the forums.

Sometimes, though, I feel like a 3rd grader who's just walked into a room full of PhD's. HAHA! The depth of knowledge here is just unreal. I don't think I'll ever catch up, but thank you all for being here!

I registered for this forum a long time ago and have posted sporadically over the years. I usually end up overwhelmed and taking a long break. But I'm gonna try and NOT do that this time.
    I thought I had a decent collection until I heard what some of the regulars here have. And the knowledge base on PE is huge. To get warmed up, I went to the threads about 'np' (now playing), 'the last thing you listened to' and 'The Obligatory most recent purchase'. Still go there to get inspiration. Jump in, the waters fine!
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-09-2018 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks, Tangram!

iguana - HAHA!! Nice...

My collection was once so narrow but a couple of decades here has kept my bank balance lean but my shelves buckling under the weight of acquisition. Enjoy your voyage of discovery, I still am!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    My collection was once so narrow but a couple of decades here has kept my bank balance lean but my shelves buckling under the weight of acquisition. Enjoy your voyage of discovery, I still am!
    That's the plan! Thanks!

I made a Spotify playlist today: Modern Pr0g: https://open.spotify.com/user/pelata...Tw2bGs14V7hLqg