Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novalis Box Set

Still busy listening to it. Played the first 6 CD's.

Funny thing on the DVD, which I still have to watch. Besides some television-shows, there are images from a show filmed in 1977/78. There is no sound, so they added the sound of Novalis Lebt! recorded between 1981 and 1984.

The CD with bonus-tracks contains 2 very old songs, recorded when they had a seperate guitar-player, which left before the group recorded their debut.

Cool ^^ thanks for that!
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Currently listening to the CD with bonus-tracks.
    The first 2 pieces are good.
    Then we get something that best could be ignored. It is some rap over 'Dronz'. I'm not really a rap-fan, but this is so bad it makes sound most rap pleasant. It makes me want to hear some Eminem for instance.

Here is the version on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4H4dxKiUE
    Listening at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Those Eloy remasters sound like a short-wave radio broadcast. Just dismal. If you love Hoelderlin and Triumvirat like I do, do yourself a favor and find the original 1980's cd issues. Their superior sound quality allows you to enjoy the music so much more!
    As far as I know, the original Hoelderlin CDs (on Music Is Intelligence) were from the 90s, not the 80s. Mine are all in storage, so I don’t have them handy to check out.

My main problem with the Eloy and Triumvirat remasters is in common with a lot of 2000s CDs: they’re too loud! I’ve heard worse, but they’re pretty brickwalled. You’re missing a lot of the dynamics. The worst is probably Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, which additionally sticks a too-soon fade on the last track. As someone who used to own the vinyl, believe me, that last “How can we stand the fire tomorrow?” should practically tear your head off! (The first time I listened to the LP, I guess I had the volume too loud, and that woman’s voice nearly made me jump out of my own skin!)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Then we get something that best could be ignored. It is some rap over 'Dronz'. I'm not really a rap-fan, but this is so bad it makes sound most rap pleasant. It makes me want to hear some Eminem for instance.

Here is the version on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4H4dxKiUE
    Listening at your own risk.
    I've been warned but being a curious guy I (unwisely) clicked on the link. Much worse than I expected. OK, this NOT Novalis but Ghostface Killah , a rapper using a (stolen ?) loop from Dronz as a backround beat for his verbal eructations. Still I can't understand how the band (or the producers) could let this happen, and including this s*** in the boxset is simply disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I've been warned but being a curious guy I (unwisely) clicked on the link. Much worse than I expected. OK, this NOT Novalis but Ghostface Killah , a rapper using a (stolen ?) loop from Dronz as a backround beat for his verbal eructations. Still I can't understand how the band (or the producers) could let this happen, and including this s*** in the boxset is simply disgraceful.
    Considering, this track is in the box-set, I suppose they get money from the track. So it's not stolen. Still I feel they should be compensated for the damage done to the track, instead of copyrights.

There are some weird things with the DVD. Wer Schmetterlinge lachen hört is very truncated. The last part of the DVD are originally without sound and the book states they have used the sound of Novalis Lebt! But at the end one can hear 'Irgendwo, Irgendwann' and 'Wunderschatze', 2 songs that aren't on Novalis Lebt!

There is also something weird with the line-ups mentioned with the last 2 live-CD's.
    For Novalis Lebt!, the book mentions the line-up: Detlef Job, Lutz Rahn, Fred Mühlböck, Hartwig Biereichel and Heino Schünzel. This is also the line-up mentioned on the original CD. But Heino Schünzel left the group in 1980 and was replaced by Heinz Fröhling, who was considered a guest-musician. On a list for the tour in 1981, he is also mentioned as guestmusician.
    For Letztes Koncert 1984, the book mentions the line-up: Lutz Rahn, Fred Mühlböck, Detlef Job, Hartwig Biereichel and Heli Schneider. On the original CD, the line-up mentioned is with Heino Schünzel, instead of Heli Schneider. The new line-up makes more sense to me.

Considering, this track is in the box-set, I suppose they get money from the track. So it's not stolen. Still I feel they should be compensated for the damage done to the track, instead of copyrights.

There are some weird things with the DVD. Wer Schmetterlinge lachen hört is very truncated. The last part of the DVD are originally without sound and the book states they have used the sound of Novalis Lebt! But at the end one can hear 'Irgendwo, Irgendwann' and 'Wunderschatze', 2 songs that aren't on Novalis Lebt!

There is also something weird with the line-ups mentioned with the last 2 live-CD's.
    For Novalis Lebt!, the book mentions the line-up: Detlef Job, Lutz Rahn, Fred Mühlböck, Hartwig Biereichel and Heino Schünzel. This is also the line-up mentioned on the original CD. But Heino Schünzel left the group in 1980 and was replaced by Heinz Fröhling, who was considered a guest-musician. On a list for the tour in 1981, he is also mentioned as guestmusician.
    For Letztes Koncert 1984, the book mentions the line-up: Lutz Rahn, Fred Mühlböck, Detlef Job, Hartwig Biereichel and Heli Schneider. On the original CD, the line-up mentioned is with Heino Schünzel, instead of Heli Schneider. The new line-up makes more sense to me.
    Mmmmm.... from what I can tell from your feedbacks so far it looks that this boxset is more like a kind of hastily put together botched job. But what's your overall impression, is it still a recommended buy ? (I don't speak about sound quality/mastering issues here).
    Too late for me, I've already ordered it but due to the repeated postal services strikes in Belgium the package hasn't be delivered yet and no hopes to get it soon. (hopefully it will arrive before the end of this month !)

Mmmmm.... from what I can tell from your feedbacks so far it looks that this boxset is more like a kind of hastily put together botched job. But what's your overall impression, is it still a recommended buy ? (I don't speak about sound quality/mastering issues here).
    Too late for me, I've already ordered it but due to the repeated postal services strikes in Belgium the package hasn't be delivered yet and no hopes to get it soon. (hopefully it will arrive before the end of this month !)
    I think it's a good buy. The book looks good and has a lot of pictures, even from the earliest line-up of the group, which only recorded 2 songs, that are on the bonus-disc. Besides there is a story on the group, written by Matthias Mineur, who has written booklets for other German groups. For each album there is a short story. The small mistake in the line-up of Novalis Lebt! are not a big deal. And the DVD can be considered as a bonus, it's probably the only stuff that is available.
    The added poster is not really of much interest. It's just the 5 groupmembers with 2 jumping dolphins in front, taken in black and white. Alas the reproductions of the artwork of the albums in the book are rather small.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 11-12-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Received the box a couple of days ago and even if about the half of the (post-1979) material is not really my cup of tea it's still a good buy at the current (lowered) price. I have no big issues or complaints regarding the sound quality and some discs (Konzerte,...) shows a big sonic improvement vs. my old vinyl versions. Definitely not Eroc's worst mastering job IMO. As it has been already pointed out the biggest disappointment is the lack of (full sized) original album cover artworks. And I don't like the recent trend of black "fake vinyl" CD's, and some CD players don't like them either having issues reading them.

In the same shipping I also received the Grobschnitt Solar Movie boxset (2LP's/CD's/DVD) I've ordered and I can say this one is a pure gem. Magnificent look, wonderful (bilingual D/En) booklet and, icing on the cake, the DVD with the full 1978 Rockpalast concert showing the band at his height playing a 50+ minute blazing version of Solar Music ! This time Eroc did a good job in remastering the old WDR (mono) mix tapes and the final result is quite decent sounding. Don't expect Blu-Ray quality picture but the video has been restored too and is far better than all the crappy VHS-sourced clips previously posted on YT. I had to wait 40 years to enjoy this concert and it was a real pleasure watching it again. Don't be put off by the rather high price, this box is an absolute must for any Krautrock fan. Buy it while you still can, you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.

This was indeed under the Christmas tree from my wife this morning! It's gorgeous!

I finally made it to the bonus disc this evening, and when this track came on, I couldn't leap from my chair fast enough to hit 'skip' on the remote. I agree that it absolutely does not belong on this set. What were they thinking? At least it's only two minutes and change.

Overall though, I'm very happy with it! It was a lot of fun to go through their entire catalogue in chronological order. I had never heard some of those later albums (post-Augenblicke), and there are actually decent tracks to be found scattered throughout them, so I was pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I finally made it to the bonus disc this evening, and when this track came on, I couldn't leap from my chair fast enough to hit 'skip' on the remote. I agree that it absolutely does not belong on this set. What were they thinking? At least it's only two minutes and change.

Overall though, I'm very happy with it! It was a lot of fun to go through their entire catalogue in chronological order. I had never heard some of those later albums (post-Augenblicke), and there are actually decent tracks to be found scattered throughout them, so I was pleased.
    The weirdest thing is, I thought the rapper was someone relativly unknown, but he seems to have been a member of the famous Wu Tan Clan, and I even read he is considered the genius behind that crew.

I was recently reading a web site that went through their history in detail, and it's pretty interesting. One interesting thing is that they really weren't a 100% full-time professional band until around '78 or '79.

This set sounds cool, but I'm wary of it being Eroc remasters. He's usually too heavy-handed on the remasters of his that I've heard.