Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Ono at 80

OK, I hear it to some degree but you could say Roxy Music was proto new wave or proto alternative also. I'm sure Yoko wasn't the only one ahead of the curve here.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    OK, I hear it to some degree but you could say Roxy Music was proto new wave or proto alternative also. I'm sure Yoko wasn't the only one ahead of the curve here.
    I never stated she was the only one, now did I?

I don't think she's as bad as many make her out to be.
    Neither half as good as some people on this thread are claiming.

I've never seen any evidence of talent, but then I'm not really a fan of what is generally regarded as avant-garde "art."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never stated she was the only one, now did I?

No need to get so defensive. Relax.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

No need to get so defensive. Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Anyway, I agree she did have a proto punk sound and proto new wave. Some of those songs remind me a bit of early Roxy Music.

To anyone throwing the "that's rubbish, i could have done that myself" about someone elses art i say: THEN DO IT.

If making a piece of art that touches something in an audience is that easy then why are you not a popular artist?

See, art is about getting the ideas, having the dedication etc etc. Something most people don't have. Including most people who say "rubbish, i could have done that" or whatever people say do denigrate what they never could have achieved themselves.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    To anyone throwing the "that's rubbish, i could have done that myself" about someone elses art i say: THEN DO IT.

If making a piece of art that touches something in an audience is that easy then why are you not a popular artist?

See, art is about getting the ideas, having the dedication etc etc. Something most people don't have. Including most people who say "rubbish, i could have done that" or whatever people say do denigrate what they never could have achieved themselves.
    Word! The only thing I would change is instead of saying "THEN DO IT," I would say "THEN BE THE FIRST TO DO IT."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    Now suddenly everybody likes her? This is somewhat ironic. I never hated her but she never did anything important. I'm kind of happy for her living so long, though.
    Coming from someone who never read Julian Cope's Japrocksampler, obviously.

Speaking as a New Yorker, I appreciate her help in fixing up the Strawberry Fields part of Central Park as well.