Thread: The Watch on tour in UK and Europe

The Watch on tour in UK and Europe

Just a quick heads up about the tour that Italian prog band and Genesis tribute are doing at the moment

Dates are here
    http://www.thewatchmusic.net/tour-dates/

Was at the Manchester show last night, absolutely rammed, brilliant, brilliant show. They're doing Selling England this time (as they did a few years back) with a few deep cuts from the Genesis back catalogue and a couple of their own and the inevitable and epic Suppers Ready

Interesting to compare with The Musical Box show a couple of weeks ago, this was, from a musical point of view, far , far better. They got both the Phil/Tony swing in the sound and the dynamics that Musical Box really lacked. Steve Hackett is superb too. A quarter of the price as well, bargain!

Do go and see this if you like a bit of Genesis, as know a few of you do.

I remember the Watch from about the time the song Shining Bald Heads came out, 2003 maybe? I then I quite liked their album Planet Earth from 2010. So far, in my listening experience they were a band that sounded A LOT like Gabriel led Genesis but not a tribute band. Have they changed course in the past decade to doing mostly Musical Box type shows?

They've always done their share of Genesis tribute shows, probably out of financial need. They are very good, yes, and their 'Planet Earth' album is particularly good. I would love for them to come to North America. I hear they're really great guys as well.

Yes, every time I've seen them has been a Genesis tribute show. The shows I've seen have been Selling England (twice, the first time I saw them and the most recent), Seconds out, Trespass and Nursery Crime and a brilliant split show of Gabriel Plays Live/Duke with the full Duke suite restored which was amazing.

I'd like to see them tour their own stuff but of course the audience would be a fraction of what it is for the Genesis shows and I don't think it would be financially viable.

None of the stage show that you get with Musical Box but as I say, the playing is closer to Genesis, I was a bit disappointed with The Musical Box from a musical point of view to be honest. The Watch have the dynamics and feel down really well, much better. And yes, they seem like a really nice bunch of blokes too.

I've only seen them once, and as you can see from this setlist, even six years ago it was mostly Genesis covers. At least they threw a small handful of their own songs in there. I'd much prefer a whole show of their original material, as I really like them. I don't need to hear Genesis songs when they already have a huge early Genesis vibe. Anyway, it was still a fun show!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-w...-7be0aecc.html
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well I see they do my favorite Watch tune, 'Something Wrong', specifically the instrumental final 2 minutes of the song. That is just killer. Cool they do 'Seven Stones', 'One For The Vine' and the old Night Watch tune, 'The Fisherman.'

I'd go just about anywhere in the US to hear them do the instrumental conclusion to 'Something Wrong'.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Well I see they do my favorite Watch tune, 'Something Wrong', specifically the instrumental final 2 minutes of the song. That is just killer. Cool they do 'Seven Stones', 'One For The Vine' and the old Night Watch tune, 'The Fisherman.'

I'd go just about anywhere in the US to hear them do the instrumental conclusion to 'Something Wrong'.
    Actually, they morphed that section into Entangled. It was pretty cool!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nice! I still like these guys, and it's good to see they're still playing music together and touring.

Planet Earth and Primitive were probably my favorites by them, but their Tracks From the Alps CD was pretty nice too.

Something Wrong is my favorite too! Most excellent! I'd love to see them as well if they play in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Actually, they morphed that section into Entangled. It was pretty cool!
    So they didn't actually play that section? Dang, much as I love 'Entangled', I'd rather hear the rest of 'Something Wrong', but I'm probably in the minority. Hopefully they finished 'Something Wrong' and then morphed...

So they didn't actually play that section? Dang, much as I love 'Entangled', I'd rather hear the rest of 'Something Wrong', but I'm probably in the minority. Hopefully they finished 'Something Wrong' and then morphed...
    No, it was more like the first half of Something Wrong which blended into the second half of Entangled, which I suppose was because the two songs are so similar in that respect. I really liked it, although I would have been just as happy to hear the rest of their song.