Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets coming to North America in 2019

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I don't know if it sold out, but it sold well for sure. If there were empty seats they were few and afar between, because none were noticeable to causal observation.
    Last edited by notallwhowander; 03-17-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I don't know if it sold out, but it sold well for sure. If there were empty seats they were few and afar between, because none were noticeable to causal observation.
    Next to where I was sitting was a woman by herself (not really enjoying the show as far as I could tell), and next to her were four seats that were never used. I'm sure they were paid for but the audients just never showed. That was definitely the exception for that show. Anyways, as soon as it became apparent those seats weren't going to be used she scooted over, which was great because they really cram the chairs together at the Masonic. Plus they're not exactly "wide dude" sized chairs.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

How was the light show and projections? Did you feel transported back to the late 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How was the light show and projections? Did you feel transported back to the late 60s?
    Not really (although my personal experience with 60s light shows is limited .) I'd say they were about on par with what Yes has been doing lately in terms of sophistication -- essentially projected stills and video imagery. The montage of old film footage during "Arnold Layne" was kind of fun, although oddly I felt that the whole lava lamp/liquid light show thing during other songs was almost a knee-jerk solution, and not all that clever. But I guess they set the appropriate mood during songs like "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Great show at The Masonic! Highly recommended. They did a great job on the material. Nice having two guitars to flesh it out. Nick was so happy to hit the gong! Cool light show as well. Crowd was really into it. Pricey but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the lights did the trick. Mostly back projection of a liquid light show, some vintage footage, some pattered light-spreaders across the screen, mostly colored floods on stage, and some light-spreaders across the audience. The color combinations were pretty, and did well in capturing the mood of the songs. I think the intent was to avoid getting overly fancy, but follow the mood of the music. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" had lots of projected flame effects and yellow-red-orange lights, very effective.

if memory serves, Pink Floyd single-handedly invented Rock and Roll light shows

it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Nick is using more or less the same light shows they used in the 60s
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    if memory serves, Pink Floyd single-handedly invented Rock and Roll light shows
    Not true. There were lots of other people doing light shows at the same time, e.g. in San Francisco and NYC, if not other places. At the very least, you're talking about "mutual discovery", i.e. the several acting independently of each other, and unaware of others, doing essentially the same thing. Supposedly, the bands in London circa 1966-1967, had no idea what was going on in San Francisco or NYC, beyond the occasional rumor or press description of a given event. Likewise, it's probable those operating Stateside had no idea what was going on in London or anywhere else.

Ahh.. the days when a counterculture could enjoy a bit of anonymity before being taken up as a meme and co-opted by mainstream hipters. Sure it happened anyway, but now it happens at light speed.

ni.jpg

Tonight's the night!

for me april 12 was supposed to be the night. looks like i won't be able to make it

if anyone is interested in two tickets, for hartfort ct (section 103, row u), please let me know

ni.jpg

Tonight's the night!
    sunday night for me, looking very forward to this show.

I'm excited for you all.

Monday!

Update - still reeling from last nights performance.

The absolute best Pink Floyd experience i've ever had
    The absolute best psychedelic experience i've ever had
    Definitely thrusted into my top 10 best concerts ever.

It was simply amazing to be able to see/hear this material performed live in the manner it was. Nick and his band were fantastic all around.
    If anyone is planning to see this show make sure you get there early - all of the music and recorded sounds played on the sound system beforehand tie right into the performance.
    Last edited by progholio; 04-01-2019 at 12:48 PM.

I too was really moved by the show saw Friday night. It was pretty amazing to just see Nick up close in a mid sized venue. He's only played arenas since the 70s. The improvs in particular were special. Really copped that psych vibe. I hope a DVD comes out of this tour to remember it all by. Nick played with more energy than I ever saw in the 80s or 90s. He didn't need anyone to augment his playing and that is how it should be. Not even spotty youngsters that had to jump to hit every cymbal. If Floyd wanted to do some more shows, Nick is the least of their worries.
    Last edited by Sean; 04-01-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Yeah, the show in St Louis last night was awesome.

I too was really moved by the show saw Friday night. It was pretty amazing to just see Nick up close in a mid sized venue. He's only played arenas since the 70s. The improvs in particular were special. Really copped that psych vibe. I hope a DVD comes out of this tour to remember it all by. Nick played with more energy than I ever saw in the 80s or 90s. He didn't need anyone to augment his playing and that is how it should be. Not even spotty youngsters that had to jump to hit every cymbal. If Floyd wanted to do some more shows, Nick is the least of their worries.
    I thought his playing here in SF was strong, although he was definitely avoiding any of the more manic bits (the few that there were) in the recorded versions of the songs. I don't think I saw him do one tom roll, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I thought his playing here in SF was strong, although he was definitely avoiding any of the more manic bits (the few that there were) in the recorded versions of the songs. I don't think I saw him do one tom roll, for example.
    Interesting, the show i saw last sunday Nick did plenty of tom fills (more than i expected). Mason has never been a very busy drummer in fact i've always thought of him to have more of a tribal style which has always been the backbone of the Floyd sound. What i was really amazed by and not expecting was the level of intensity they were playing this stuff, the live version of Astronomy Domine was as ferocious as the version Voivod put out years ago (without near as many drum fill of course). I also experienced plenty of mania, not so much with drumming but the other atmospheric sounds going on.

This has been a really busy concert season for me over the last 6 months, many of which have been some of the best bands i've seen perform live. This show connected with me much more than anything in recent memory, much more to my liking than anything the proper Floyd has done in 30 years.

Has there been any talk of Mason releasing a DVD of this tour? My concert days are over and I would like to see a professional version of the show, not just the crowd vids on YouTube

I hope he does!

I hope he does!
    Same. This was definitely worthy of a pro quality recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Has there been any talk of Mason releasing a DVD of this tour? My concert days are over and I would like to see a professional version of the show, not just the crowd vids on YouTube
    I think I saw a multi-cam shoot on Yoot
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a spare ticket for Boston if anyone needs one and doesn't mind sitting next to me
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have a spare ticket for Boston if anyone needs one and doesn't mind sitting next to me
    Does that include round-trip flight tickets from Pittsburgh?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"