Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IQ's Subterranea being made into a movie

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, either the trailer deliberately underplayed the music's role in the movie, or they made a movie based on the story and concept behind the album, with less of it to do with the songs themselves (which I agree would make for a better film). In that case it would sort of be opposite of what Marillion did with Brave.
    But Mike Holmes did work on the music for the movie, so IQ is definitely more than just the inspiration.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    But Mike Holmes did work on the music for the movie, so IQ is definitely more than just the inspiration.
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying I think the film will not use any music from the album -- clearly you can pick out melodies and themes in the trailer itself. But I am wondering how much of the actual songs will be represented, or will Mike have created a soundtrack rendition of the IQ album. If that makes sense.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'd be more than shocked if you didn't hear Nicholls singing a large part of the sound track (whether from the original album or re-recorded for the movie).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I think the film will not use any music from the album -- clearly you can pick out melodies and themes in the trailer itself. But I am wondering how much of the actual songs will be represented, or will Mike have created a soundtrack rendition of the IQ album. If that makes sense.
    As far as I know it will be an entirely new soundtrack by Mike Holmes and one song with Peter Nicholls singing. Based on the original album themes (and possibly some new ones), but completely new recordings

Hope to see this soon! Not sure how or where, but looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have to admit I think it's a bit of a stretch when they say "based on the legendary album by IQ." Maybe it's legendary in prog circles but the fact is you can't even buy it in most record stores.
    True, but "based on the album you've never seen by a band you've never heard of" isn't likely to sell a lot of tickets.
    Jonathan Byrne
    http://jdbyrne.net

Yeah, either the trailer deliberately underplayed the music's role in the movie, or they made a movie based on the story and concept behind the album, with less of it to do with the songs themselves (which I agree would make for a better film). In that case it would sort of be opposite of what Marillion did with Brave.
    It is indeed not a movie depicting the songs but a movie based on the storyline of Subterranea. There is actually hardly (if even any) music from the album in the movie as it has a completely new score made by Mike Holmes (of IQ) who admitted he did use certain themes from the album in the score. I also noticed there was at least one line from one of the songs in the dialogue in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'd be more than shocked if you didn't hear Nicholls singing a large part of the sound track (whether from the original album or re-recorded for the movie).
    You are setting yourselves up then for dissappointment. Again, the movie is not going to be something like Marillion's Brave or dramatised rock opera but it simply takes the storyline of the album, fleshes it out and turns it into a 99 minute feature. No singing involved except probably for a theme song and you might hear something in the background as part of the soundscape of the album, like a song coming from the radio or something akin. I have also seen some bits in the production blogs that mentioned including some interesting tidbits of IQ things in the set design. I did see a picture of a newspaper article which used "Awake And Nervous" in the headline. That's the sort of thing you can expect and with the odd musical themes in the movie score linking to the album.

Thanks for the insight, Chris!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I hope this thing takes off, and I'd much prefer this feature film over a long music video.

There's a brand new IQ track which plays (I think) over the end credits. 6mins...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I hope this thing takes off, and I'd much prefer this feature film over a long music video.
    Amen to that.

If it ever makes it out to theaters near me I'll check it out.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/entert...eat/index.html

No mention of "Subterranea," of course. Bastards!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Subterranea has been doing the festival circuit with some success. According to the website, it will be released on video Sept 13. Apparently no general theatrical release.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18997

I thought it was already released. I just assumed it came and went but with a limited theatrical release. Last I checked only ten people rated it on IMDB.

I'm wondering whatever happened to Roger Dean's movie. At least Subterreana was released.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have to admit I'm surprised this movie got completed. Here's hoping it's better than the movie made of Marillion's "Brave."