Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kansas On The Big Interview Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    But it is always good to see one of the classic prog rock bands from the 70's showcased on a contemporary show and to keep their flame alive, something crappy MTV will never do under their current toxic music format.
    yep.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seems to me the majority of the target audience would want to see that. I could be mistaken. But, ya gotta know your audience.
    I was just glad to see something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was just glad to see something a little different.
    Yeah, that's cool. Nothing wrong with that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Actually, I watched the trailer for Miracles Out of Nowhere last night, and just from watching that I can see they gave Rather rote responses to some of his questions. I get that though - those are the answers, they can't come up with new ones all the times. So I guess in a way Rather was asking the same questions, or at least eliciting the same responses.

Apparently Livgren tweeted in response to this interview, particularly about the idea of him being "retired." Pointed out he has never retired or been inactive as far as music goes.

This is arrogant, but I always considered Livgren leaving Kansas a a waste of talent. They were the perfect musicians to put his visions into reality. He never created anything I enjoyed without Kansas (pre and post Kansas).

I understand the Dave Hope story and fully understand. Steinhardt is a shame, but Livgren was voluntary chasing something that he already had.

Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Jesus?
    Where?

Jesus?
    I'm afraid that I have to ask you to place a one week ban on yourself for using religion to derail this thread. You know the rules...

^

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    This is arrogant, but I always considered Livgren leaving Kansas a a waste of talent. They were the perfect musicians to put his visions into reality. He never created anything I enjoyed without Kansas (pre and post Kansas).

I understand the Dave Hope story and fully understand. Steinhardt is a shame, but Livgren was voluntary chasing something that he already had.
    I've found a lot to like in Protokaw, AD & Kerry's solo albums. His songwriting has remained remarkably consistent to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    I've found a lot to like in Protokaw, AD & Kerry's solo albums. His songwriting has remained remarkably consistent to my ears.
    I also liked the Protokaw albums a lot. I only have 2 of Kerry's solo albums, but I like both of them.

The first bad Kansas album was Audio-Visions, released in 1980.

Just think how much better that album would have been if the best songs from the first solo albums of Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh had been on it. Both of those albums had been released earlier in 1980. Imagine if Audio-Visions had been this instead:

Relentless (Livgren) 4:55
    Just One Way (Livgren) 5:46
    Hold On (Livgren) 3:45
    Mask of the Great Deceiver (Livgren) 7:36

Every Step of the Way (Walsh) 8:41
    Get Too Far (Walsh) 4:30
    Back Door (Walsh) 4:20
    How Can You Live (Livgren) 4:13
    Ground Zero (Livgren) 8:36

Musically it would have been as strong as Leftoverture and Song for America, although lyrically it would not have been as interesting as either.

^^

Mask of the Great Deceiver would have worked great for Kansas.
    I totally love the version they played live (maybe just once).

It would be great to have a version of Ground Zero sung by Steve.

I would have left "No one Together" and "Curtain of Iron" on a
    fantasy version of that album though.

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    The first bad Kansas album was Audio-Visions, released in 1980.

Just think how much better that album would have been if the best songs from the first solo albums of Kerry Livgren and Steve Walsh had been on it. Both of those albums had been released earlier in 1980. Imagine if Audio-Visions had been this instead:

Relentless (Livgren) 4:55
    Just One Way (Livgren) 5:46
    Hold On (Livgren) 3:45
    Mask of the Great Deceiver (Livgren) 7:36

Every Step of the Way (Walsh) 8:41
    Get Too Far (Walsh) 4:30
    Back Door (Walsh) 4:20
    How Can You Live (Livgren) 4:13
    Ground Zero (Livgren) 8:36

Musically it would have been as strong as Leftoverture and Song for America, although lyrically it would not have been as interesting as either.
    Interesting track listing for sure, but I'm one of the few that likes Audio Visions well enough as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

I would have left "No one Together" and "Curtain of Iron" on a
    fantasy version of that album though.
    Absolutely . Best songs on that album. I don't have AV in my collection. Got rid of it years ago. But I can hear it on Youtube anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Interesting track listing for sure, but I'm one of the few that likes Audio Visions well enough as it stands.
    Agree, although it is far from my favorite Kansas album, I still like it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Mask of the Great Deceiver would have worked great for Kansas.
    I totally love the version they played live (maybe just once).
    That song was tailored fit for the incredible voice of Ronnie James Dio, I would have never had it any other way!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    That song was tailored fit for the incredible voice of Ronnie James Dio, I would have never had it any other way!
    Dio and Steve will Always be among my favourite Rock vocalists ever. I love both versions, and of Course I don't wanna miss the one with Dio.

Jesus?
    Well, I wasn't going there, I meant the sound. But by the time Walsh left, the band was pretty much only writing this theme. I don't see a difference with AD.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    His first solo album and Collector's Sedition contain some more than awesome songs.
    The archival Proto-Kaw and first reunion album of that band are great too.

Two big for the Proto-Kaw catalog, old and new. Fire & brimstone prog. Love it.

Well, my point was that had so much excellent material not been siphoned off onto the two solo albums, Audio-Visions could have been a much better album than Monolith. Instead, it was much worse.

Also, there's no law against Kansas using a guest singer; both Dio and David Pack perform brilliantly on "Mask of the Great Deceiver" and "Ground Zero," respectively, and could have sung those songs on Audio-Visions as well.