Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landberk

Landberk

I absolutely love this band but it wasn't exactly easy collecting their albums. I had the luck to find Riktigt Äkta, Lonely Land (english version of RÄ) and Indian Summer on cd many years ago - the rest of them are cdr's. I was also VERY lucky to see the band in concert in their prime, back in 1994 here in Sweden. A shame that they disbanded years later (Yeah, I started following bands like Paatos, Dungen etc) Nothing is quite like Landberk though. I'm not holding my breath here, but some Landberk reissues would be most welcome..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Love them too, and also have the full collection (but since I bought them as they were released it wasn't difficult). Do you have the live one, Unaffected? I might not have the Jag Är Tiden single. I saw them at ProgFest in 1995, and it was an amazing show. Also, bassist Stefan Dimle came with a friend and visited with me in NYC one weekend (this was around when the first Paatos CD came out) and we had a really good time. I think Stefan used to be on PE. It would be cool to hear from him here.

Now I MUST pull out those classic Landberk CDs and have a listen. My favorites are the Laser's Edge "Lonely Land" and the "One Man Tells Another" album. I need to put these albums on my Android phone...

Great band. They did Oslo in april '94, had a dedicated small group of fans there. The impression was that Landberk were kind of shy and introverted people on stage.
    There were about 50-80 in the audience, they were in for a surprise.
    I did the sound on that gig and remember jaws dropping all over the place as the singer adressed the fans in a typical very enthusiastic Swedish tone, no shyness there.

We usually recorded these concerts straight from the mixer to a DAT cassette, this was a long one maybe around 100 minutes (?).
    Very nice people and a legendary evening.

I miss "Indian Summer", as back at the times I've been put-off by descriptions constantly referring that it sounded indie-influenced. And we had no You-Tube or streaming services to get a listen. However, it is a good album in it's own right and I would purchase it had it got a reissue.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I like me some Landberk as well, but I prefer both Dungen and The Amazing, as both aren't quite as grim.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Are those albums ever gonna be re-released?

I was just thinking of Landberk the other day, so thanks for this thread.

I first saw them in LA at Progfest '95. While the hardcore progheads didn't seem to care for them, they were easily one of my fave bands of the weekend. They had a really special sound that I was hoping would get noticed by alternative/college radio in the US. Along with Anekdoten they seemed to me to be the first of the new generation of prog bands capable of successfully crossing over to the mainstream. Great, great music and I was really sad to see them go.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    Are those albums ever gonna be re-released?
    There have been talks to and fro, but I seem to remember Stefan Dimle's various endeavours with the Mellotronen label (and more) had something to do with the whole deal, including numerous postponings and the sudden odd objection from ex-band members demanding to have their say on things. Obviously, Reine Fiske has made a true name of himself and might outweigh some others, but I don't think that's it.

I always thought they were a great band, and Riktigt Äkta somewhat occupies a space in my 90s memory that Änglagård's Hybris appears to do in others'. And I think some of their more overt "indie" trappings (from Indian Summer in particular) were actually quite refreshing - and different for their day and age.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I first saw them in LA at Progfest '95. While the hardcore progheads didn't seem to care for them, they were easily one of my fave bands of the weekend.
    +1

I have an original copy of RA... never did anything for me. I found it rather dull and shelved it after a few listens
    I should try it again now... what... 20 years later?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I have, and love them all. I have the two singles as CDr, the VDGG track as mp3.
    The instrumental "Waltz of the Dark Riddle" is amazing!
    Stefan Dimle has promised there will be rereleases. Last year I contacted him about playing here in Holland and he even suggested to reunite. Seems all of the group, including Fiske, are interested. Though it's difficult to find a venue here.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I was lucky enough to happen upon a copy of Indian Summer back in the late 90's. It has a great, different sort of vibe that really hits me the right way. Would love to obtain their other albums someday
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I always thought they were a great band, and Riktigt Äkta somewhat occupies a space in my 90s memory that Änglagård's Hybris appears to do in others'. And I think some of their more overt "indie" trappings (from Indian Summer in particular) were actually quite refreshing - and different for their day and age.
    Agreed. I have most (all?) of these albums but haven't heard them in a billion years.

I got rid recently of all the Landberk album I owned except for their Ryktig debut... I onlu owned the four major relmeases, but to be honest, even Indian Summer was soporific to me...
    I used to hold them in high regards as they were part of the Swedish trilogy, though always third behind the two A bands.
    Still love Firske's guitar sounds, but I couldn't really get interested at Dungen, and I only kept Timoss from Paatos (plus the live album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I got rid recently of all the Landberk album I owned except for their Ryktig debut...
    Hope you made digital copies at least?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hope you made digital copies at least?

Naaaaahhhhh (though I did listen once or twice more before sending them awxay)... But I did sell them with a good and acceptable price for both parties. (I know I could've asked a bigger - triple - price, but that wasn't the goal)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

In case anyone wants...we have 1 copy(new) of "Unaffected" remaining and a used copy(in perfect shape) of Indian Summer. PM me.

I really hope that these Landberk pearls someday will be reissued.. Stefan Dimle - Wake up

Stefan always seems to be pretty busy with those MelloCruises or whatever in Sweden. I agree some reissues would be a great idea.

Esoteric should look into it!

Got into Landberk, Anekdoten, and Anglagard all within about a one month timeframe so they're all kinda linked together for me though they all had their unique characteristics. Landberk was always the dirge-iest of the 3 for me...definitely the one I listen to the least, but still fun to give a spin
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I absolutely love the Swedish-language debut. The following albums don't seem as atmospheric to me, but are still enjoyable. I think their vocalist was probably my favorite male vocalist of the '90s prog revival.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Got into Landberk, Anekdoten, and Anglagard all within about a one month timeframe so they're all kinda linked together for me though they all had their unique characteristics. Landberk was always the dirge-iest of the 3 for me...definitely the one I listen to the least, but still fun to give a spin
    I also found out about these three at around the same time... Surprisingly my library system had Hybris (wow ) and Lonely Land (They subscribed to Ken's label I think), but I had a buddy who was into Anekdoten and loaned me his copy of Vemod (the buddy would also organize Anekdoten's first concert in Belgium for their Nucleus)

Acquiring these albums was still not easy then (thanks for Music Emporium in Namur , though)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I also found out about these three at around the same time...
    Yup. Then came White Willow, Sinkadus and Flower Kings. It was a full on Viking fucking invasion.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

chalkpie
    They should change their name to Handjerk just to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Then came White Willow, Sinkadus and Flower Kings. It was a full on Viking fucking invasion.
    While they definitely *were* Nordic "new retro prog" bands, I can't remember Sinkadus or TFK ever to fall in line with those others back then - not up here anyway. Other bands who DID, however, were (to some extent at least) Pär Lindh, Höyry-Kone, Simon Says, St. Mikael, Zello and Qoph. In the sense that they appeared alongside each other at festivals and featured in fanzine articles etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM