Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: At The Edge Of Light - January 25 2019

It's not one of my favourites from the new album, I would have gone with something else as the first 'single', but maybe that's just me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love this new song and on the strength of it, I'll be picking up this album when it's released.
    I passed on Siren because it just seemed like more of the same, Wolflight II perhaps.
    Looking forward to the new album. Great job Steve(ripping those solos). I think on this song at least, the production and writing has a bit of a rawness to it that I haven't heard in awhile.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm not always a fanboy of Jonas but that bass line really helped kick up a Hackett composition a notch.....hoping for the best...... YMMV IMHO LOL FFS.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I like the song. Great bass line. Who's singing? That's not Steve, is it?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I like the song. Great bass line. Who's singing? That's not Steve, is it?
    I think it's Steve with others.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think it's Steve with others.
    I get the sense Roger King layers Hackett's own vocal many times (plus maybe a wee bit of autotune.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    First song released. Jonas on bass!
    This is really good! Great arrangement and ingenuity. And a heavy (!!) contribution from Jonas! I saw him yesterday with the new Flower Kings incarnation and was really impressed - both spectacular and rock solid in his playing!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Another video from his forthcoming new album.
    I really like the diversity of music I've heard so far.
    I was so afraid Steve would tap in to the Wolflight/Sirens formula, but I think he managed to go out of that box and writing better with each album.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I really like the diversity of music I've heard so far.
    I was so afraid Steve would tap in to the Wolflight/Sirens formula, but I think he managed to go out of that box and writing better with each album.
    Diversity has never been something SH has shied away from, but I agree about this one -- not bad at all. I was worried where it was heading once Steve started singing but it does seems like his songwriting has been kicked up a notch. Let's hope that holds true for the entire album.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Watching that first video, I was expecting to see the rock formation on the album cover.
    I don't think it was there which made me wonder...
    Are the rocks in the photo real or have they been photo-shopped to include the two "screaming" heads?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    first listen, I'm unimpressed sadly
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Nothing in the sample tracks suggests this is any different from the previous albums. That production style is utterly suffocating IMHO. Another iffy video for 'Beasts...' too. I'm out.

On a happier note, it's in at 14 in the midweek album charts:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart-update/

I quite enjoy this album, I think Those Golden Wings in particular is one of the best tracks he's done in recent years. Sounds quite good in surround as well.

I wonder if anyone here is getting the Japanese SHM-CD with the two bonus tracks, Teach Yourself Valcan and Roulette?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Are the rocks in the photo real or have they been photo-shopped to include the two "screaming" heads?
    Those rocks are extremely NOT real.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Just arrived this afternoon. Gave it a first spin... (without favorite beverage so as to not color my impression). I am really liking this release. So Many vibes going on here! If you have a decent subwoofer system you can feel it! Will listen again this evening and review a few impressions. Bass work throughout is a notch up. Amanda Lehman vox sits better in the chorus. It seemed the 55 minutes just flew by.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Someone posted on FB about how hard it was to get the disk out the jewel case. My question is, why would you buy the 1-disk jewel case edition over the 2-disk Digibook edition? Amazon's price for the 2-disk is $14 - I can't imagine anyone's getting the jewel case for much less; I don't think Amazon even carried it. I know some do feel jewelcases are more durable. I enjoy watching the bonus material on the second disk though, even if I can't use the 5.1 mix right now.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I picked up the two discs in a jewel case edition on Friday at Newbury Comics. Two listens in, lovin' Steve's stuff as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I picked up the two discs in a jewel case edition on Friday at Newbury Comics. Two listens in, lovin' Steve's stuff as usual.
    Oh, didn't know that was a format! Hmm, maybe that's what I ordered. If so I'll be runnin' to Laser's Edge...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Someone posted on FB about how hard it was to get the disk out the jewel case. My question is, why would you buy the 1-disk jewel case edition over the 2-disk Digibook edition? Amazon's price for the 2-disk is $14 - I can't imagine anyone's getting the jewel case for much less; I don't think Amazon even carried it. I know some do feel jewelcases are more durable. I enjoy watching the bonus material on the second disk though, even if I can't use the 5.1 mix right now.
    I couldn't find the 2 disk Digibook edition on Amazon you mentioned... do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I couldn't find the 2 disk Digibook edition on Amazon you mentioned... do you have a link?
    I don't know for sure if it was a digibook or not, but I'll know soon as it's coming today. Will update you here! I'm a little worried now...

There is indeed a digibook edition, which as far as I know is exactly the same as the 2-disc jewel case version apart from the packaging. I wasn't given an option when I ordered from Amazon, mine was automatically the jewel case version.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There is indeed a digibook edition, which as far as I know is exactly the same as the 2-disc jewel case version apart from the packaging. I wasn't given an option when I ordered from Amazon, mine was automatically the jewel case version.
    Frig!

Damn you, Jewel case! You mock me with your sticker and cheap plastic!

The digibook version is great quality. I ordered from Steve's site which got the extra bonus of him signing it.

IMG_20190205_100835.jpg

IMG_20190205_100749.jpg

I can feel your pain though. I remember receiving a jewel case for The Tangent "Le Sacre du Travail" instead of the digipak - so of course it didn't match anything else in their recent discography and looked totally out of place. I actually finally replaced it last year with a digi and my life is much better now.