Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STEVE HACKETT: At The Edge Of Light - January 25 2019

But will the packaging make the music any better?

I guess Amazon didn't get the digibook edition. The big prog vendors all seem to have it though. Likewise with the upcoming Dream Theater release - Amazon has the regular CD, the 4-disc art book, the vinyl, and the mega-collector's set - but not the special edition digipack with the bonus track. For that you need to order from one of the vendors (LE, Burning Shed, etc...)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I actually did go ahead and order the Hackett digibook from Laser's Edge. I should have known the one from Amazon wasn't the digibook - the price was too low! Oh well, maybe I'll gift it to someone, maybe I'll make it to the post office to return it. The signed edition is certainly a nice thing, though I don't care too much about signed items. However, that trumps an unsigned digibook - you win!

Does the packaging affect the music? No, of course not. But an attractive, leather-bound book can be nice to read even if it doesn't affect the words. A Mont Blanc pen can be nice to write with even if it doesn't make your writing better than a Bic pen would.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, no problems when both USPS and Laser's Edge are working together - 48 hour delivery of that digibook! Super fast!

I heard "Under the Eye of the Sun" for the first time last week and really like it. It would fit perfectly on one of the first two Starcastle albums (which I happen to enjoy a lot). That may sound crazy, but the layered vocals, guitar work, and overall vibe really do remind me of Starcastle! He is playing it live on his current tour.

Steve Hackett 2020 Tour dates announced:
    http://www.hackettsongs.com/news/newsTour2020.html
    26 February - Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - Tickets available soon

27 February - Winspear Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - Tickets available soon
    March 2020

1 March - Burton Cummings Theatre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - Tickets available soon

4 March - The Fillmore Detroit, Detroit, MI, USA - Tickets available soon

6 March - Warner Theatre, Washington, DC, USA - Tickets available soon

7 March - Bergen Performing Arts Center, Englewood, NJ, USA - Tickets available soon

11 March - The Academy of Music, Northampton, MA, USA - Tickets available soon

12 March - Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown, PA, USA - Tickets available soon

13 March - Scottish Rite Auditorium, Collingswood, NJ, USA - Tickets available soon

14 March - Scottish Rite Auditorium, Collingswood, NJ, USA - Tickets available soon

15 March - Whitaker Center, Harrisburg, PA, USA - Tickets available soon

17 March - Carolina Theatre, Durham, NC, USA - Tickets available soon

19 March - The Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, GA, USA - Tickets available soon

20 March - Ponte Vedra Concert Hall, Ponte Vedra, FL, USA - Tickets available soon

21 March - The Plaza Live, Orlando, FL, USA - Tickets available soon

22 March - Capitol Theatre, Clearwater, FL, USA - Tickets available soon

24 March - Parker Playhouse, Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA - Tickets available soon
    Cruise to the Edge 2020

27 March - 1 April - Cruise to the Edge, Sails from Miami - Tickets & info
    May 2020

24 May - Astor Theatre, Perth, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

27 May - The Gov, Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

29 May - The Palais, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

30 May - Enmore Theatre, Sydney, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

31 May - Brisbane, Tivoli, AUSTRALIA - Tickets
    June 2020

2 June - Great Hall, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - Tickets
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^^^ New tour dates eh? No Dallas as usual. I swear!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I feel your pain.
    It's been 4 years since he came to Clearwater, Fl.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I feel your pain.
    It's been 4 years since he came to Clearwater, Fl.
    At least you have gotten something. I don't think he's been down this way since the Defector days. I'm headed to Chicago this weekend to finally see him however.

Saw Hackett last night in Grand Rapids Michigan and thought it was fantastic. I will post a more extensive review when I get time.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I’m bummed too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw Hackett last night in Grand Rapids Michigan and thought it was fantastic. I will post a more extensive review when I get time.
    I've seen Hackett 8 or 9 times. This tour was the best I've seen excepting the Defector and Cured tours.

Last night in Chicago was off the charts incredible. Third time seeing him, and each time is freaking fantastic. To be honest, I am kind of sick of "Selling England" and was a bit hesitant to even go this round... but OMG, my jaw was on the floor during every second of that performance. No comparison to the Musical Box, this is the real deal commanded by the master himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Last night in Chicago was off the charts incredible. Third time seeing him, and each time is freaking fantastic. To be honest, I am kind of sick of "Selling England" and was a bit hesitant to even go this round... but OMG, my jaw was on the floor during every second of that performance. No comparison to the Musical Box, this is the real deal commanded by the master himself.
    Firth
    IMG_0822.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Steve Hackett 2020 Tour dates announced:
    http://www.hackettsongs.com/news/newsTour2020.html

24 May - Astor Theatre, Perth, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

27 May - The Gov, Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

29 May - The Palais, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

30 May - Enmore Theatre, Sydney, AUSTRALIA - Tickets

31 May - Brisbane, Tivoli, AUSTRALIA - Tickets
    June 2020

2 June - Great Hall, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - Tickets
    Really happy that he is returning to Australia for a second time only. I going to three gigs , Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane.

Love the Edge Of Light and like some others in this thread "Those Golden Wings" is my favourite.

Question:how is the new drummer? I was always impressed with the sound & style of Gary O'Toole.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Question:how is the new drummer? I was always impressed with the sound & style of Gary O'Toole.
    He was fine. Didn't jump out at you, either positively or negatively. Handled the solo in "Clocks" adequately.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great show in Montréal on 9/23, the second of his two sold out shows. Craig Blundell was a nice addition on drums, saw him with Steven Wilson’s band multiple times.
    Now we’ll have to make the six mile slog in March to see the show again here in Northampton at The beautiful Academy of Music!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Nothing in the sample tracks suggests this is any different from the previous albums. That production style is utterly suffocating IMHO. Another iffy video for 'Beasts...' too. I'm out.

On a happier note, it's in at 14 in the midweek album charts:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart-update/
    Production has been a big obstacle for me as well when it comes to Hackett. It just sound flat, cold and way too wet for albums these days. There really have been some great songs over the last several years. I'd definitely be interested in a comp. of the last 25 years. These classic dude and third wavers and neo-prog while we're at it don't need to write a rap album to change it up...they need to change up the production. A warm studio sound for Hackett would be very compelling.

Blundell is a fantastic drummer. I have also seen him with Steven Wilson. Blundell has also been a member of Pendragon, Frost, and Lonely Robot to name a few.

i don't think he played with pendragon. with all the others he did, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Blundell is a fantastic drummer.
    He's very good. I was talking to my buddy who went with me last night to the Fox Oakland show and he's also a drummer. We were talking about the tightrope CB had to walk most of the night. I thought it must be both a dream to play all those drum parts, but also kind of a nightmare due both to the technical challenges but also knowing every prog-dude in the audience knows those parts by heart and any deviation will NOT BE TOLERATED! I thought Craig did a good job straddling that fence -- delivering what the songs required and what was expected from the fans, while also making it satisfying and personal for him as a player. Alas, he can't sing like Gary O'Toole (he seemed miked very low when he came out for "The Virgin and the Gypsy"), but he makes up for it in the drum chops department.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I caught the Oakland show last night along with my buddy who is a drummer. He was very impressed.

Just noticing the second sentence of Paulrus's post above: Are you me?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by igal75 View Post
    i don't think he played with pendragon. with all the others he did, for sure
    He was a member of Pendragon for a short period of time around 2014 / 2015 if I remember correctly. I am pretty sure he appears on the "Men Who Climb Mountains" album, but I don't have it right in front of me at the moment.

As a drummer I thought Craig put the pieces There that needed to be There, but the parts of Craig that he added were excellent. He played a fill in either IKWIL or Selling that just knocker my socks off.