Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steven Wilson VIP Raven Live CD..(Really??)

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    The real question...and it's already been suggested here but not really answered...who is behind all this marketing of "limited edition" items? Is it Steven himself, his management, his record label...etc.? At least if we knew we could put the "blame" where it needs to go and not just go after Steven cause he's an easy target.
    I would hope that Steven would have veto power over any sort of decision like this that reflects directly on him. I have to think that he's okay with it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I would hope that Steven would have veto power over any sort of decision like this that reflects directly on him. I have to think that he's okay with it.
    Good point. No doubt he is surely aware of what's going on...even in the planning stages! Doesn't bode to well for him for sure, IMO. Not to mention as with the earlier limited items, a secondary market is automatically created on eBay, Amazon, etc. for these items to be sold at "extortion" prices. I guess Steven is "OK" with that too? Such drama indeed!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

"Extortion" a bit over the top...perhaps. But your suggestion the someone buy an expensive plane ticket to attend a show where the VIP package is offered is equally over the top.
    For some, possibly. I know fans from quite a few fanbases that would (and have) traveled from other countries for far less than the value of a CD. They are out there.

Through Burning Shed, here a list of the venues offering the VIP package...at an extra $80.00. This does NOT even include a ticket to the show. Now this is extortion...LOL!

I used the word extortion to emphasize my point of course, and for dramatic effect, but of course there are literalists that lurk everywhere here. And really, the only drama created with this is from Wilson and/or his business management team, by creating such a jump through the hoops limited offering. If the CD is made available for all fans to buy on his website, there is absolutely no drama.
    And if this stunt was pulled because ticket sales at these mostly standing room only venues are lagging, maybe even less drama occurs by considering the demographics of a large core of your fanbase who you are forcing to stand who may be choosing to not buy tix to these shows. And who you've chastised for not standing in the past and supporting some of your weaker tunes...so who's really creating unnecessary drama?
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-29-2018 at 05:45 PM.

So if not a CD, what type of carrot should Wilson use as a lure for his VIP meet-n-greets? Tell fans he'll dress in drag as Marilyn Monroe and sing a personal "Happy Birthday Mr. VIP" to every one who purchases the package?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So if not a CD, what type of carrot should Wilson use as a lure for his VIP meet-n-greets? Tell fans he'll dress in drag as Marilyn Monroe and sing a personal "Happy Birthday Mr. VIP" to every one who purchases the package?
    I thought the lure of a meet-n-greet was the meeting and greeting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Plus the package includes some kind of laminated item (Steve Standing?) and most importantly a 3 song sound check, which is pretty cool in itself. And you could still offer the SIGNED CD to VIP attendees and still offer the unsigned CD on your website. Doesn't seem too unreasonable.

add--oh, and the VIP allows early entry so the real diehard Wilsonites can stand right at the front of the stage, close enough to lick Steven's barenekkid toes. That's a lot of nice incentives!

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    NO NO AND NO

Please do not steal music. If you don't like it or your idea of the reasons the artist is doing this you don't have to buy it. If you cannot afford it, again, either don't buy it or SAVE for it.

v
    Thank you for writing this.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

It's not like the $75 VIP cost is all that expensive. I bought it because it's very very reasonable compared to most of these kinds of upgrades. The CD to me is just an added bonus.

Show Mr. Wilson how angry you are with him. Take the $75 or whatever and go buy someone else's albums.
    <sig out of order>

If you read what's offered, this isn't a meet and greet. You get to watch a sound check and get a signed cd, but there's no mention of meet and greet. I've met SW on three different occasions, so for me that's not so much the appeal. The sound check and the cd are what are of interest.

What's frustrating is that there's a show in San Antonio which is a 2 hour drive for me, and on a Friday night. That would be the ideal show for me. But it doesn't have the VIP option.

Houston has the VIP option, but it's a 4 hour drive to get there, and it's on a week night, and I'd have to be back at work Friday morning. I'm not young anymore, so that's not really a practical drive home starting at midnight. So it's not really an option, unfortunately.

I agree with the previous poster who said these should be available at all shows, and not just select locations.