Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prog Mag Premiere New "In Continuum" Music Video feat Marco Minnemann & SOC!

Prog Mag Premiere New "In Continuum" Music Video feat Marco Minnemann & SOC!

Hello! It's me, Squids (aka Dave Kerzner). Some of you may be familiar with the band Sound of Contact which I co-founded in 2010 with Simon Collins (son of Phil Collins). We had a bumpy road with that band despite a very positive reception to the rare shows we did and our debut one and only album as SOC, "Dimensionaut". In 2015 we got back together to record a second SOC album but unfortunately that fell apart and both Simon and Kelly announced their departure from the band early this year. SOC technically still exists and may reform to do something again someday but, in the meantime, Matt Dorsey and I (the remaining two members) decided to release the songs we had been working on with SOC through a new offshoot band/project called "In Continuum".

In Continuum has a lot in common with Sound of Contact, including the participation of Randy McStine and John Wesley who were both touring guitarists with SOC. Yet, at the same time, it's also quite different especially due to the variety of lead vocalists on the album which include myself, Gabriel Agudo, Randy McStine, Leticia Wolf and Jon Davison of Yes as well as the particular drumming styles of Marco Minnemann and Nick D'Virgilio who share the role on the album (and Marco performs with us live as you can see in the video shot at Progstock... with the studio album audio btw) and the distinct character of special guest guitarists Steve Hackett and Steve Rothery (I was going to say of Genesis and Marillion but this is ProgressiveEars so... you know who these people are!) as well as Fernando Perdomo from my solo group. It's more of a large ensemble effort (similar to Alan Parsons Project) than SOC which was primarily a four piece. But, it carries forward with sci fi concept albums, lots of keyboard-heavy tunes (similar to Genesis in some ways) and... well, you can listen and see the connection to SOC and my solo work I'm sure.

Prog Magazine premiered the first music video today which is for a song called "Scavengers". The visuals, as I mentioned, were from our recent debut performance at the Progstock Festival and the audio is from the forthcoming album "Acceleration Theory" which you can pre-order in various different versions from basic CD to elaborate bundles of extras here (or you can wait for the standard $9.99 iTunes mp3 version coming in a few weeks).

Here's the news from Prog Mag: https://www.loudersound.com/news/in-...for-scavengers

And here's the video. Since I've been a member of PE for many years, I would especially like to know what you think of the new music. Were any of you at the Progstock show? Have you checked out the sampler of tunes from the album on our YouTube Channel? Curious what you think of it. Thanks! - Dave

Last edited by Squids; 10-22-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think it's excellent!!

Really excellent - very melodic, great instrumentation, polished musicians, and the vocals are great.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Really excellent - very melodic, great instrumentation, polished musicians, and the vocals are great.
    Oh thanks man! Glad you like it. This is a fun song to sing because I'm very passionate and fascinated about the concept. I sing a few songs about man's ironies on the album. I don't play the main character in the story though. That's Gabriel Agudo and we'll hear him on the first official "single" release as well as someone who may be new to the Prog scene, Leticia Wolf from the Dead Deads. I met her when I participated in the "Shaming of the True" tribute to Kevin Gilbert with Nick D'Virgilio, Stan Cotey and others who used to play with Kevin. Leticia and her sister Mandy were some of the backing vocalists for it brought in by co-director of the show Mark Hornsby. We wrote a track called "AlienA" at the time (2012) and eventually it became part of this concept album. Her role is, in some ways, similar to what Hannah Stobart did on Dimensionaut (at least on the song she guested on, Beyond Illumination). Lots more to come! Thanks for commenting on this track!

Here's a sample of different tracks for anyone too lazy to go to our YouTube Channel. Haha.

Sounds great, Dave. The song composition and Marco's backing seemed to give it a little more energy than DKB (which isn't a criticism of either grouping); it gave me some of the same vibes as Dirty Soap Box. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

I wasn't able to attend Progstock, but I'm looking forward to see you on CTTE.

I like it, Dave. I'll have to check your YouTube page and see if I can find some tracks that stretch out a bit more, but I can see me purchasing the CD. Marco adds a lot to the proceedings.

Very nice! Preordered. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I like it, Dave. I'll have to check your YouTube page and see if I can find some tracks that stretch out a bit more, but I can see me purchasing the CD. Marco adds a lot to the proceedings.
    Thanks. That's the first release and it happens to be one of the shorter ones (which is rare as most of the songs do "stretch out" probably too much! Haha... but it's Prog and we like that here! ). More to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Jvalvano View Post
    Very nice! Preordered. Thank you.
    Thank you! Much appreciated! I didn't mention this and probably should but there are some really sweet extras in the works for the backer bundles that haven't been listed. I've held back just in case I run into any complications doing it but it's looking really good for MORE than what's listed to be included. As I have it tangibly in my hands working as envisioned I will share what that is but let's just say there's an audio/visual element to it!

Fantastic piece - I like it a lot. Pre-ordered the cd and am looking forward to seeing and hearing it played on the boat. Well done.

Okay. Now I'm sold. Love Squids solo records and SOC was pretty rad but I don't know...

...maybe the name through me off a little but this track smokes!!!

Excellent work. Solid tune. This could be great.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Okay. Now I'm sold. Love Squids solo records and SOC was pretty rad but I don't know...

...maybe the name through me off a little but this track smokes!!!

Excellent work. Solid tune. This could be great.
    What name threw you off? How so? Curious. In any case, glad you like it! Very proud of this album. Proud of all of the albums but it's fun to see it evolve with different collaborators involved. Also fun to see how others react to it! Thanks for watching and sharing your thoughts guys!

Great song, performance and production! So much great "modern" prog out there. Glad you're a part of PE Looking forward to the release!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Great song, performance and production! So much great "modern" prog out there. Glad you're a part of PE Looking forward to the release!
    Thank you very much!

Hey Dave, I preordered just the cd version on Oct 8, but haven't gotten an email or info on how to get on the private Facebook page.
    I'm on your regular Facebook page, but not the private one.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Hey Dave, I preordered just the cd version on Oct 8, but haven't gotten an email or info on how to get on the private Facebook page.
    I'm on your regular Facebook page, but not the private one.
    Message me on FB and I'll add you. Had trouble adding some people for some reason. Got some cool sneak peeks in there right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Message me on FB and I'll add you. Had trouble adding some people for some reason. Got some cool sneak peeks in there right now!
    Thanks Dave, will do.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks Dave, will do.
    Thanks Top Cat! Hope you're liking the perks for pre-ordering! For anyone else, the pre-order link is still active and even though it's supposed to end Oct 31st I'll keep it going until the album is shipping which will be some time before the end of November. The main CD and alternate special bundles are all here: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/merch

New lyric video released today featuring Steve Hackett and Jon Davison with myself (Dave Kerzner) on lead vocals (Jon on BVs), Marco Minnemann on drums, Matt Dorsey and Randy McStine from Sound of Contact on bass and guitar, Fernando Perdomo from my solo band also on guitar plus a string section. Check it out! Would love to know what you think!

Another great song Dave, you can do no wrong in my book. See you soon at at Kennett Flash or better yet the Sellersville theater, where the first concert was supposed to happen. ( Sound of Contact), which incidentally was a major disappointment being canceled, however was saved by Francis Dunnery when he filled in with the Francis Dunnery Electric Band which was fantastic!

Just to jump in and say the new video and really creative, enjoyable! Very melodic music and the lyrics fit the imagery. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Another great song Dave, you can do no wrong in my book. See you soon at at Kennett Flash or better yet the Sellersville theater, where the first concert was supposed to happen. ( Sound of Contact), which incidentally was a major disappointment being canceled, however was saved by Francis Dunnery when he filled in with the Francis Dunnery Electric Band which was fantastic!
    Thanks. Yeah SOC gig cancellations were a major bummer for a lot of people, myself included. There were some good ones planned! But, that's all water under the bridge now. Unlikely to have too many (if any) cancellations moving forward! I personally avoid that at all costs.

Don't know when we'll make it to Philly though as we just played in New Jersey at Progstock and that's pretty close! We will be on Cruise To The Edge next! But, you never know! I'm sure I'll be back at least. The full In Continuum band with Marco on drums and Gabriel flying out from Argentina... it's a major effort that requires certain things for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Just to jump in and say the new video and really creative, enjoyable! Very melodic music and the lyrics fit the imagery. Nice work!
    Thank you Mozo! Each song is quite different from the other. This will be released as a single with "Scavengers" as the "B-side" (ie. additional track plus a radio edit of Crash Landing) and then the next single will feature Gabriel Agudo on lead vocals. He's great! He does a fantastic job singing the Fish-era Marillion songs with the Steve Rothery Band. It's fun to share the role of lead vocals this time. The whole album will be out some time between Nov 9th and Nov 15th.

Nice moody track. Reminds a bit of some of Hackett's more recent work. I'll be buying.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Nice moody track. Reminds a bit of some of Hackett's more recent work. I'll be buying.
    Does it? That's interesting. I wasn't thinking that at all but certainly when he plays on my tracks that element is there naturally. I love working with Steve! He's so awesome in many ways, as both a musician and as a person.