Thread: The Music of Cream

The Music of Cream

Anyone see this show?

Considering but tickets a bit pricey for a tribute band. ($40-$89)

I'd love to see this band, but no Bay Area date.

am planning it in St.Paul on November 11th.

I've got tix to Cedar Rapids, Nov. 10 I think. I saw Kofi Baker a few times with OHM and I know he can bring it at the level required for this to be credible. The other guys, I don't know.

Saw the Cedar Rapids show last night and Music of Cream exceeded my expectations by far. They did a set that wasn't too far from the Cream 2005 reunion sets. All the hits except for Ulysses, the long blues-cover workouts (Crossroads, Spoonful, etc.) and some psychedelia.

The important thing is that they weren't trying to do anything note-for-note. They were good enough to do that of course but were even better because they knew when to mess with things and come up with something new. This is not a tribute act.

I couldn't believe how good all three of them are as players. I went with a friend who doesn't know that much about Bruce or Baker but he's a solo-Clapton fanatic. He couldn't stop raving about Will Johns, the singer/guitarist. On the one hand Johns was channeling Clapton very effectively, On the other, he was doing his own thing too.

Malcolm Bruce is a monster on bass. He's a busier player than Jack and has real chemistry going with Johns. Their exchanges of riffs and ideas was often thrilling. Their harmony vocals were pitch-perfect. Kofi was great too the only thing I would change would be to limit "Toad" to 5 minutes rather than the 15 it took. Too late in the set for a bathroom break!

Attendance was ok, not great. I would estimate about half full (~500). I hope that level of attendance is enough to sustain the tour and encourage further work. Go see 'em if at all possible.

sadly, I returned my ticket largely per First Ave and their Monopoly bought out The Fitzgerald Theater in St.Paul recently and given the Cream show tonight wasn't promoted well, it didn't sell. So they decided to move it to The Fine Line in Minneapolis, a venue that in order to have a seat, you have to pay extra.

I also am trying to buy a house right now, thus I found it best to save the money instead of having to re-buy a ticket.

And this announcement of a venue change came literally about 9 days ago on Facebook. I would not be surprised if many people who bought tickets showed up at The Fitzgerald Theater tonight in St.Paul expecting to see Cream there, and then learn it's in Minneapolis at The Fine Line, and they have to not only drive out there, but BUY A NEW TICKET while it being too late to return their original at The Fitzgerald Theater.

Monopolys suck, especially First Avenue's Monopoly.

Hope Kofi and Malcolm can get better along than their parents.

^^^ They seemed to get along really well. And even made a couple of jokes about the issue. Malcolm told a story about Ginger Baker & Pete Brown part of it was based on their not getting along. Kofi jumps in with "My dad? Not getting along with someone? What a surprise!"

This tour is coming to my home town at my favorite venue. I thought it was just a general tribute band and did not realize who was in it. Tickets seem a bit high for something like this $35 to $45. I went on the venue website and there are a lot of tickets available. I might consider this, sounds like a fun show.