Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1990's Prog Nights on Bleecker Street

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think I remember Jim Pitulski being around, but again I was never sure exactly which guy he was. Was he the manager for the band that opened for Fish on his first solo US tour? I can't remember that band's name either.
    Jim actually managed Fish around that time and a little bit later on. Jim's original claim to fame was managing Dream Theater and later managing Spock's Beard and running Inside Out Music America.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 10-22-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I remember an in-store at Tower Records, a listening party for "Radiation" (IIRC) with Rothery and Trewavas, and a small concert with Rothery at a venue close to the World Trade Center. I'm positive you were at the last one, Jed.

None of those were at Kenny's. There may have been one at Kenny's that I missed though.

I also remember that Grey Lady Down concert. What a great show from a somewhat forgotten band.
    There was also another instore marillion signing at tower records for the los tríos tour.

Rothery was also at the apple store in soho for a guitar tutorial, which was cool.

Yes I do remember the Steve Rothery concert it was a cold day in January, he was picking up his custom guitars.

Ap

I am 110% certain that our GLD show was at Kenny's. I checked in my scrapbook in which I used to faithfully detail the dates and venues of every GLD and Thieves' Kitchen gig immediately after they'd taken place (yes, I'm that sad!), and that confirms this...

We certainly played with Tristan Park (they hosted us for that tour), and half of me thinks Iluvatar may have been on the bill that night too. I do remember it ran incredibly late, we didn't leave the venue until gone 4am. The city that never sleeps? The streets were utterly deserted!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    i was at both those Marillion listening parties (the Marbles one was especially great, and getting there despite the snow made it fun.) - it was so cool that they did those. I was at the Tower Records thing too. I think the Rothery thing was at City Winery? I was there.

i was at both those Marillion listening parties (the Marbles one was especially great, and getting there despite the snow made it fun.) - it was so cool that they did those. I was at the Tower Records thing too. I think the Rothery thing was at City Winery? I was there.
    It wasn’t at the city winery, but at a bar that doesn’t exist anymore. I currently work in that area.

In the 90’s I do remember going to see the flowerkings at wetlands. (09/03/98)

Knitting factory, Irving plaza and the bottom line was the place for live prog band in the 90’s

Found this flyer from the night I played there; covering a mellotronist's contact info who wanted to jam...
    IMG_0826.jpg

Thanks for bringing back the memory, I remember Iluvatar and Magnus, Prog Nights were on Tuesday nights correct?

Those were the days that Prog seemed to be underground (literally going down the steps into the R&R Cafe), I found out about it buying prog cd's from Bob at a record show in Wayne, NJ, and went to quite a few shows, brought a bunch of people from time to time as well, good times....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante30 View Post
    Thanks for bringing back the memory, I remember Iluvatar and Magnus, Prog Nights were on Tuesday nights correct?

Those were the days that Prog seemed to be underground (literally going down the steps into the R&R Cafe), I found out about it buying prog cd's from Bob at a record show in Wayne, NJ, and went to quite a few shows, brought a bunch of people from time to time as well, good times....
    Bob Wolff at record shows. Boy, did I spend so much at his table. He'd play me the one song I would like from a CD, and I'd buy it, not knowing that the rest of the CD was meh. I met Jed at one of those in NYC.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Sounds like me, remember those little stickers he had on the cover the cd with his descriptions of the music and the price, I just saw one of his stickers the other day pulling out a Citizens Cain CD, and then he got me hooked in insanely priced Japanese imports of laser discs (Recital of the Script,Gensis 1976, Yes Queens College?? and Exit Stage Left) comes to mind, yep he made some money off me?

The eons are closing
    Re: Fish at Club Bene
    The band I was in at the time opened for Fish at club bene in 1997. Quite literally the worst gig we ever played technique wise. Have pic of Fish and I backstage. I dont recall e motive being in the bill, but we played with them once or twice in 1997, definitely at a bar in Lyndhurst.

Our singer and I were at the prior night Fish gig in NYC where we spoke to Jim P. Mike Portnoy whom I met previously while living in Hackensack, was also at the show.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Bob Wolff at record shows. Boy, did I spend so much at his table. He'd play me the one song I would like from a CD, and I'd buy it, not knowing that the rest of the CD was meh. I met Jed at one of those in NYC.
    Is that where we met? Didn't remember that! Although now I'm starting to. Yeah, Bob always knew the part that sounded like old Genesis!

Rachael's Birthday wow I picked that CD up at Waxtree in Casselberry, FL (Orlando) when Bob Ponder (RIP) owned that store. I used to buy so many great CDs at that store, plus Bob was an all-around friendly man.

As far as Bleeker St, Yippie Museum is gone which was birth to the ibogaine & modern marijuana movement with Dana Beal.

Actually, NYC is turning back to the 70s-early 80s retail wasteland.

I went to most of them and saw all the artists mentioned above - I have my autographed Ars Nova CD somewhere around here. I also remember spending an ungodly amount of money on CD purchases at these nights (to supplement my purchases at the Record show on 57th St at the Holiday Inn). I also remember the Grey Lady Down show (terrific set) at Kenny's Castaway which Bob also promoted. Then there was the show in New Jersey at some theater. I don't even remember where it was...Elizabeth? For the life of me I can't remember any of the acts that played that night. This was probably at the very end of my drinking days so things get hazy.

All in all, I have to thank Robert Wolf for being the conduit that got me into the modern era of prog starting around 1994.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I went to most of them and saw all the artists mentioned above - I have my autographed Ars Nova CD somewhere around here. I also remember spending an ungodly amount of money on CD purchases at these nights (to supplement my purchases at the Record show on 57th St at the Holiday Inn). I also remember the Grey Lady Down show (terrific set) at Kenny's Castaway which Bob also promoted. Then there was the show in New Jersey at some theater. I don't even remember where it was...Elizabeth? For the life of me I can't remember any of the acts that played that night. This was probably at the very end of my drinking days so things get hazy.

All in all, I have to thank Robert Wolf for being the conduit that got me into the modern era of prog starting around 1994.
    Yes I remember record show at the Holiday Inn good times...and seeing Bob there. Last time I saw him he was snapping photos at Rosfest a few years ago. I do remember having a flyer for Third Degrees human interest story concert, I think it was the month before Or after I went to the first night in May or June 96. Brand X was suppose to play. I know they made it philly.

Ap

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Our singer and I were at the prior night Fish gig in NYC where we spoke to Jim P. Mike Portnoy whom I met previously while living in Hackensack, was also at the show.
    I was at that show, too, and caught Mike leaving with Jim P. Got Mike to sign the back cover of one of my Fish Company North America issues. I bet it's the only one of its kind in existence.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

sourdough advocate
    The band I was in at the time opened for Fish at club bene in 1997. Quite literally the worst gig we ever played technique wise. Have pic of Fish and I backstage. I dont recall e motive being in the bill, but we played with them once or twice in 1997, definitely at a bar in Lyndhurst.

I'm sure you're right about e-motive not being on the bill, now that I think of it. It was an odd venue with open space for standing in front of the stage and then tables and seats waaaaay in the back of the room. I remember Fish walking through the room to the stage at the start of Johnny Punter and getting into a staring contest with my friend during that middle monologue section. He came down into the crowd and my friend, Keith, is as tall as Fish. It was an intense stare-down and really added to the opening of that show.

I know this sounds odd, but I could swear that one of the opening bands did a proggy version of the theme from The Simpsons. I'm reasonably sure it was that show but 20+ years and many drinks later, I could be wrong.
    When in doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by AMP2112 View Post
    Kenny’s castaways was where Steve Rothery from marillion, did a promo concert for the release of the album somewhere else. Kenny’s had an upper floor where you can look down at the band.
    I was there. I was the with a few friends. I remember not being impressed wit the album because I could barely hear it with all the chatter.

I was also there from Prog Nights at the Rock and Roll Cafe a few times. Don't recall with certainty who we saw there. But Mastermind, 3rd Degree and Zack Rivisi ring some bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante30 View Post

Haven't been to that show in Wayne in years now. Is it still crowded? I should go back one of these days. It's probably mostly vinyl now.

We were there too. That was the time we followed Fish on tour for a week since the venues were within driving distance and it was his first solo gigs in the US. Good times. Mickey Simmonds kept looking at us with the expression of "On no, not YOU again!")

Wow. Can’t believe I’ve missed this. I’ll weigh in more later with my scattered memories. Here you can see how many times we played RNR Cafe:

http://www.3rdegreeonline.com/3RDegree/Live.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Wow. Can’t believe I’ve missed this.
    Especially since it was on your own site!

Those Rock 'n' Roll Cafe shows weren't all Robert Wolf prog nights, right? But it's a lot of shows there! I didn't realize you played so many live shows back then.

Lol unforgettable fire I saw them at an Irish pub on 14th street..great show

I remember the I’ll fated Europa show in 2009..the sound guy was clueless and deaf at the same time. Phideaux had dancers in the crowd.

1990's Prog Nights on Bleecker Street

Those Rock 'n' Roll Cafe shows weren't all Robert Wolf prog nights, right? But it's a lot of shows there! I didn't realize you played so many live shows back then.
    Yeah after a while I think the owners there would call us to play any sort of shows hence the U2 tribute band pic. We played a lot more then next to now. Less places to play now....we’ve all got wives and/or families etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AMP2112 View Post
    I remember the I’ll fated Europa show in 2009..the sound guy was clueless and deaf at the same time. Phideaux had dancers in the crowd.
    Ill-fated? That was one of the best attended multi-band shows we’ve been invited to. Yeah sound issues I remember but the night is kind of a fog for me as it was only our 3rd show upon regrouping and was serving as a warm up for ProgDay (a month later) mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially since it was on your own site!

Robert meant that he couldn't believe that he missed this thread, not missed the photo.

Did 3RDegree ever play a Prog Night, Robert? If so, I guess I missed it. I only remember seeing you schmoozing with the crowd about your excellent band. But my mind has been foggy since turning 50 earlier this year.