Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of The Peaceful Army - out today

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I liked the first album, but the lead singer's voice was a bit much for me over the course of an entire album. You have to wonder how long a mercurial rise like that can last in modern times. They had a couple of stellar tunes on that first album that got burnt out on radio and MTV (back when MTV played music). Then they vanished. Just like The Strokes. Just like The Black Crows. Just like [insert latest retro whiz here].
    The Darkness seemed to be a lot more popular in Europe than in the U.S. The only thing I remember ever seeing in MTV (or radio) was "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", and even that did not really get a ton of airplay where I live. They never really rose above a club / opening act level act in the U.S. either, but seemed to be able to play big venues in Europe. I don't even know when they toured the U.S. last.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I liked the first album, but the lead singer's voice was a bit much for me over the course of an entire album. You have to wonder how long a mercurial rise like that can last in modern times. They had a couple of stellar tunes on that first album that got burnt out on radio and MTV (back when MTV played music). Then they vanished. Just like The Strokes. Just like The Black Crows. Just like [insert latest retro whiz here].
    ...Wait, what?

Did the Black Crowes actually vanish?

I'd take them over Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet any day of the week. "Remedy" is a killer tune.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ...Wait, what?

Did the Black Crowes actually vanish?

I'd take them over Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet any day of the week. "Remedy" is a killer tune.
    Big Crowes fan here. Supposedly they are done for good, but with the two brothers who knows. I saw Chris Robinson's band this summer. I thought it was just ok. Rich is now in The Magpie Salute which also contains a couple of other former Crowes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Big Crowes fan here. Supposedly they are done for good, but with the two brothers who knows. I saw Chris Robinson's band this summer. I thought it was just ok. Rich is now in The Magpie Salute which also contains a couple of other former Crowes.
    Right on.

I like quite a few of the Black Crowes songs. They were a good band. I saw them back in 2005 at Big Spring Jam in Huntsville, AL, and they were really good. They went into a very cool jam during one of the songs that was really fun and I wished it could have gone on much longer. Their keyboardist was playing some simply lovely stuff on what sounded like a Wurlitzer (or might have just been a digital keyboard that sounded like a Wurlitzer).

And they didn't exactly vanish either; they were around for a pretty long stretch of years, making music that still got airplay, so for 3LockBox to lump them in with other "flash in the pan" groups is unfair IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I mean...good for them and all, but it's WAYYYY too Led Zep. I'll stick with the latter.
    The track suggested by topic starter reminded me of Cinderella - 80s band, partly influenced by LZ.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    And they didn't exactly vanish either; they were around for a pretty long stretch of years, making music that still got airplay, so for 3LockBox to lump them in with other "flash in the pan" groups is unfair IMHO.
    Maybe so, but as good a band as they were they still weren't terribly original; weren't their first few hits covers? Then they had that thing they did with Jimmy Page, which was okay, but it just made me want to hear the those versions of Led Zep songs done by Led Zeppelin and not the Crowes. Then they became as well known for in-fighting as they were for making music ala Oasis... oh and maybe for Kate Hudson as well. And none of the bands I mentioned exactly vanished but they did fall off the radar.

The Black Crowes had a good run - one of their biggest hits was a cover but the others were not. Their albums were nearly all original material. Like any good rock band, they were best onstage. They got a fair amount of jam band fans because of the loose nature of their shows, stretching out on a lot of songs. I've had a few Crowes boots and they certainly delivered the goods in that Stones/Faces/Humble Pie style, with a little bit of Zep on the side. They finally broke up when Chris Robinson decided that he didn't need Kate Hudson to be a dick to the rest of the band and his brother. Let's just say that bridges weren't just burned, they were nuked from orbit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    The track suggested by topic starter reminded me of Cinderella
    A decent enough band with good songs but the name and the image eventually did for them. A few years later and musically they could probably have fitted in alongside The Black Crowes, or a band like Thunder in the UK. Old-style hard rock but without being 'clones' like Kingdom Come or indeed these guys in the present day. I think Cinderella were more influenced by AC/DC, Aerosmith, Nazareth etc. than Led Zeppelin though. A bit of that Faces style thing as well, but the production was somewhat slick- typical 80s.

Blues rock masquerading as hair metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Black Crowes had a good run - one of their biggest hits was a cover but the others were not. Their albums were nearly all original material. Like any good rock band, they were best onstage. They got a fair amount of jam band fans because of the loose nature of their shows, stretching out on a lot of songs. I've had a few Crowes boots and they certainly delivered the goods in that Stones/Faces/Humble Pie style, with a little bit of Zep on the side. They finally broke up when Chris Robinson decided that he didn't need Kate Hudson to be a dick to the rest of the band and his brother. Let's just say that bridges weren't just burned, they were nuked from orbit.
    Agree, I saw the Crowes live several times and they were always great. As you mention they really expanded their stuff in a live environment. The last tour I saw, they had Luther Dickinson in the band and he was incredible. The band broke up several times off and on, but yea I think this time the bridges are burned for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Cinderella did have a lot of blues to their stuff as did other hair metal acts like Great White. It put them a step above many of their peers IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, I don't blame them for riding that wave. Commercially it worked at the time. However even by the early 90s it was over for most of these bands.

I don't see any progress from the EPs. It's still the same sound, with perhaps even less overall inspiration in songwriting. But..but there is a whole bunch of young people out there that dig it. They don't want to listen to their 60 years old dad beloved Led Zep, they want to listen to this. If this could turn them to the rock sound, I don't only have a problem, I am ready to back them up.

I don't think they deserve the thrashing they recieve. At worst this is a pleasant listening for me, I even smile when I recognize the blatant retro references. But when Pitchfork deems it necessary to summon its senior editor - a guy who writes 3-4 reviews a year - to trounce these young rockers with a plain 1.6 (like all the rap/pseudo-hipster/80's retro crap Pitchfork endorses is so much better) then I get a bit suspicious. Why not a 4, or a 5, or even a 3? Why 1.6? Getting nervous that people might turn to rock music again?

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I don't see any progress from the EPs. It's still the same sound, with perhaps even less overall inspiration in songwriting. But..but there is a whole bunch of young people out there that dig it. They don't want to listen to their 60 years old dad beloved Led Zep, they want to listen to this. If this could turn them to the rock sound, I don't only have a problem, I am ready to back them up.

I don't think they deserve the thrashing they recieve. At worst this is a pleasant listening for me, I even smile when I recognize the blatant retro references. But when Pitchfork deems it necessary to summon its senior editor - a guy who writes 3-4 reviews a year - to trounce these young rockers with a plain 1.6 (like all the rap/pseudo-hipster/80's retro crap Pitchfork endorses is so much better) then I get a bit suspicious. Why not a 4, or a 5, or even a 3? Why 1.6? Getting nervous that people might turn to rock music again?

Just saying.
    You know that's not gonna happen!!! Rock is dead. Thank God!!! I like being part of a fringe movement anyway.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

Just saying.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Yes it is retro, and yes they take their sound from the Zeppelin blueprint, but the fact that so many young people are into this band gives me hope for the future of rock n roll. Here in Michigan (where they are from) they are literally the hottest thing going right now. When a show is booked, it sells out right away. Most of the people going to these shows are not old geezers like me, but young people in the teens and 20's. They could probably sell out a hockey arena here if they wanted to, but their management is deliberately building an audience from the ground up so they are still playing smaller places at this point even though they could most likely sell out larger ones.

On a personal note, I enjoy what they do. I don't have the new album yet, but plan to pick it up.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The crowd at Haken / Leprous this week was a lot lot younger than me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

If I want to hear some young rockers, I prefer DeWolff

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The crowd at Haken / Leprous this week was a lot lot younger than me.
    It's bands like these (and Bent Knee of course) that give me hope for the future of rock n roll. Young people aren't stupid, they do like stuff that challenges them a little. It doesn't have to be simple or blatantly retro. I don't understand why these type of bands don't get more coverage in media outlets

They are the musical guests on Saturday Night Live tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just saw them on SNL and that singer's voice was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched SNL also. That was dreadful. I mean, embarrassingly bad. The second "acoustic" song borrowed the Hammond organ from "Your Time Is Gonna Come", as well as the repeated chorus (except in this case, the mantra was "You're the One I Need"). Except Led Zeppelin actually sounded good.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

My ears! Robert Plant ate george Costanza's mom...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Jon Neudorf
    What an excellent disc. Loving this.

Jon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I am positive about their homage to 70s classic rock. However, the lead singer's vocals were an abomination. What's with his outfit, looks like my sister's outfit on a bad day.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    At least we know the guy wasn't lip-syncing. Are his vocals auto-tuned like crazy in the studio?