Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of The Peaceful Army - out today

Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of The Peaceful Army - out today

Latest track released online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fE...ist=WL&index=9

26 minute version of Lover Leaver ( live in Los Angeles in June )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUq...ndex=2&list=WL

Anyone else like this band?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Latest track released online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fE...ist=WL&index=9

26 minute version of Lover Leaver ( live in Los Angeles in June )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUq...ndex=2&list=WL

Anyone else like this band?
    <raises hand enthusiastically> They're a talented bunch, three of whom are brothers (singer, guitarist, bassist/keyboardist). Always a fun listen for me.

These guys have been recommended to me as the latest bunch of kids who play and sing like it is 1975. Based on those videos they hit the spot better than anyone I've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    These guys have been recommended to me as the latest bunch of kids who play and sing like it is 1975. Based on those videos they hit the spot better than anyone I've seen in a long time.
    I'd say more like '70 or '71, but yeah, it hits a spot.

I guess if you lived under a rock and never heard of Led Zeppelin, they'd be great; unfortunately, I hear whole guitar lines lifted directly from LZ albums, and vocal cues borrowed from Robert Plant without even the sense of hiding the references.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I was never much a fan of LZ, I prefer these guys in a straight comparison. There is really nothing new under the sun out there anyway so what's the problem with sounding a bit like LZ at times? Remember Rush's first album - people thought the same thing, this is only their first full length album and is full of great songs.

The point is that GVF are reintroducing real rock music to a generation who has never heard it before.

They're complete clones, to the point of stealing. There are hundreds of retro heavy rock bands out, doing the 70s stuff way better, that I just had to bypass. Check for example early Witchcraft, Orange Sunshine, Vucan, Kamchatka, debut Graveyard, Siena Root, Samsara Blues Experiment, Witchwood etc...
    Last edited by spacefreak; 10-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think the only reason why they're getting so much attention is because they're kids. If they were all 35-40 somethings the mainstream wouldn't care.

Plan on grabbing the CD while I'm out today. It's fall, temps are dropping and this is perfect driving music.

I was never much a fan of LZ, I prefer these guys in a straight comparison. There is really nothing new under the sun out there anyway so what's the problem with sounding a bit like LZ at times? Remember Rush's first album - people thought the same thing, this is only their first full length album and is full of great songs.
    Rush was vaguely reminiscent of Led Zeppelin I suppose, but not straight up simulations. Listening back to that album, I can also hear chunky Sabbath chording and leads sprinkled about, and even southern rock structure on "In the Mood" that isn't faintly Zeppelinesque. I was never a huge fan of Rush, but there's a helluva lot more originality from Rush on that first album than I hear in GVF.

The point is that GVF are reintroducing real rock music to a generation who has never heard it before.
    I suppose. More guitars is always a good idea.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I mean...good for them and all, but it's WAYYYY too Led Zep. I'll stick with the latter.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hey if it gets the kids listening to rock instead of rap I am all for it. [emoji3][emoji106]

Just nice to see a newer guitar-driven band get some attention these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Just nice to see a newer guitar-driven band get some attention these days.
    Even though Greta Van Fleet isn't really my cup of tea, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    Hey if it gets the kids listening to rock instead of rap I am all for it. [emoji3][emoji106]
    Exactly, all we need now are some youngsters to play Prog

For all the gear geeks: Here's the Greta Van Fleet bass and guitar rig rundown:

Yep, this is a really solid rock album.
    My cynicism did, for a brief second, make me wonder if they worked in the phrase "[wonder]land of ice and snow" in the opening track just to troll and make some heads explode. But I figure not, it's just a lyric.

I watched that rig rundown a while back, good stuff. They know their equipment, that's for damn sure.

I will say 1 thing, they are being talked about a lot, but mostly not in good ways.

read some of the reviews and comments (on the left) on rym

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...peaceful-army/

Pitchfork just gave it a 1.6.

That's about right. What an awful ripoff band, designed specifically to trick streaming services' algorithms into giving shit bands millions of streams for no good reason beyond "Oh my! They sound just like Led Zeppelin!"

Gimme Starcastle, Druid and Cherry Five.
    The Prog Corner

I dig their "Flash in the Pan" sound! What about "Footnotes" compositional chops? I doubt "Fifteen Minutes of Fame" can compose.

I've listened to about half the album. Nice to see a real band getting some talk, but, as someone said earlier, it's nothing new under the sun. I find that I can't wait until the album finishes so I won't have to listen to it again.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

They come off, to me, as nothing more than a glorified bar band.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Listen to the album, great songs and musicianship, excellent sound quality and production too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd9te6ZQXpQ

Listen to the album, great songs and musicianship, excellent sound quality and production too.
    To me, only fair songs. To their credit, they appear to be moving away from being Leda Van Zeppelin and I hear far less direct plagiarism of Zeppelin tracks and riffs than on the debut, where you could literally name call the Zep tracks they were stealing or copying.

But they haven't moved away from, or beyond, very typical rock tropes and chord patterns in their songs. Good grooves, but just not enough uniqueness in the music to really keep me coming back. It is possible to do within the scope of this retro/stoner rock, but Greta isn't quit there yet. Guitar solos are also only fair to my ears. He's got the sound, but the notes are sort of "meh." The vocalist is truly excellent. I don't always like his approach, but no question he's the real deal.

Again, these are just kids. I watched the rig rundown with the bass player and he's only been playing for five years. His heart's in the right place, but you watch him play and listen to the tone he's getting in the video and you realize he's got a ways to go. Somewhere, there's a producer behind these guys helping them A LOT. And that's fine. I'm happy for their success. But there's tons of bands doing stuff like this who have a lot more uniqueness and creativity within this approach. A lot of this band's popularity hinges on their emulation of Zeppelin and the novelty factor of their age. But I hope they continue to grow and develop, because there is talent here and their hearts and ears are largely in the right place.

Bill

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...peaceful-army/

OUCH. I do like this writer's style though. And bonus points for using the word 'mollycoddled'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***