Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of The Peaceful Army - out today

This bit made me literally laugh out loud. And sadly, I think it’s mostly true.

“But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It’s proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn’t need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article.“
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    If this record had actually come out in the 70s instead of just mimicking the sound it would barely even rate mentioning. There are filler songs I hear on classic rock radio all the time that I basically think suck, but they are better than this.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Awful, if they were trying to be a parody it would come off as funny but given that they are apparently serious it's god awful. As spacefreak says there are tons great retro bands out there that maintain their own identity. The only things these guys have is a big record deal, youth & the ability to tick the algorithm boxes for streaming.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I gave it a fair listening yesterday and I prefer the EP.
    Maybe they'll move away from Zeppelin and "progress."
    Also: LZ was hardly doing anything new on their first two LP's. They too were a ripoff band.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The only things these guys have is a big record deal, youth & the ability to tick the algorithm boxes for streaming.
    Based on their Spotify numbers, it’s working out very well for everyone.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think the only reason why they're getting so much attention is because they're kids. If they were all 35-40 somethings the mainstream wouldn't care.
    I think you're right. They're a novelty. They remind me of a band you might see in a movie about a band from the 70s, like Stillwater from the movie Almost Famous

More power to them though. It is very reminiscent of music that I like. At least it isn't reminiscent of music that I think sucks. As someone has already stated, hopefully they can progress from this point on.

I tried to listen to one of their new songs but stopped it about 30 seconds in. Couldn't stand the kid's voice. Well, more power to them. At least it's guitar rock.

For those that call them kids, they are aged from 19 - 22. I suppose it must have been the same kind of novelty that got Led Zep signed by Atlantic aged 19, 19, 21, & 23...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    For those that call them kids, they are aged from 19 - 22. I suppose it must have been the same kind of novelty that got Led Zep signed by Atlantic aged 19, 19, 21, & 23...
    You're off by a year in all cases. Zeppelin signed with Atlantic in November 1968. Page was 24, Jones was 22, Plant and Bonham were 20. Greta's first EP came out in 2017, so they'd have all been a year younger, 18-21, and possibly younger still when cultivated/signed.

Admittedly, though, the Greta dudes are older than I'd thought. I think age was a factor in the hype around the EP, but maybe that is overblown now. If they're of comparable age, however, they're in no way comparable in creativity at that age. Not that I'm a Greta hater, but to me they're just not in the same universe as Zeppelin, and knowing now they are older makes me give them less of a pass for not developing a more original sound and avoiding the whole comparison in the first place.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Based on their Spotify numbers, it’s working out very well for everyone.....
    people need to stop using Spotify and all the streaming services aside from Bandcamp, Soundcloud and YouTube.

I just heard this band for the first time yesterday and had a total Mike Patton reaction.
    Sadly their target audience has no idea and could care less about who Led Zeppelin was and I don't think any of these guys will be around 45 years from now performing with a band like The Sensational Shape Shifters.
    Gonna pass, if the mood strikes me i'll cheerfully put on Houses Of The Holy.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I just heard this band for the first time yesterday and had a total Mike Patton reaction.
    Sadly their target audience has no idea and could care less about who Led Zeppelin was and I don't think any of these guys will be around 45 years from now performing with a band like The Sensational Shape Shifters.

Mike Patton... I remember hearing about that when when it happened. So great!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yep. They were young, white, had a lead singer that looked like a chick and played that blues music that was so popular with the kids back then. Plagiarism aside, Led Zeppelin didn't sound like anyone else... at least not too much like anyone else.

I'm not one who thinks Greta Van Fleet sucks. They're great at sounding like Led Zeppelin. I look forward to them expanding their palette one day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm not one who thinks Greta Van Fleet sucks. They're great at sounding like Led Zeppelin. I look forward to them expanding their palette one day.
    I agree! They sound more in "disorder" than Zep - a dose of Zep, a dose of Mars Volta...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I don't think they suck either, but I do think they have little or no originality.

The way they choose to dress (or not dress) in 2018 is also laughable.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I find the singer's voice to be really annoying, Plant back in the day was much easier to take. Still, it's good a rock band that plays guitars is getting this much attention in this day and age, so kudos.

I've heard a few things and I tend to agree that the vocals are 'difficult'. Plant wasn't whiny like that, he had a real power behind his voice IMHO.

The second album is the thing for newer bands, and has been for a long time. I can remember many a hyped-up 'great white hope' in the UK with a hit debut and a flop second. And they never really recover from that.

They remind me of The Darkness. Sorta the same hype with the retro sound, image, etc. Whatever happened to them?.......

I don't think i've actually heard a complete song by Van Fleet. I try and the Lead singer just makes me cringe and ruins the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I don't think they suck either, but I do think they have little or no originality.

The way they choose to dress (or not dress) in 2018 is also laughable.
    They definitely have the skills to sound like a Led clone so i'll give them that, but no originality is a qualifier for suck.

They remind me of The Darkness. Sorta the same hype with the retro sound, image, etc. Whatever happened to them?.......
    A classic example of what I was talking about. They reformed some years ago but once upon a time they split after the second album greatly underperformed. And clearly nothing they did since reforming has matched the success of the debut; I have not knowingly heard one song.

I'm more reminded of Kingdom Come-meets-Wolfmother here.

I've tried to give them a chance, in fact, I want to like them. But I end up just being annoyed by the singer. I do appreciate that they're trying to bring back some guitar driven ROCK and I hope it works out for them. But If I want to hear this sort of thing, I'll spin some Sabbath, Grand Funk, Zep or Uriah Heep.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I gave them a chance too, and didn't like them. Not because they're "retro", I simply didn't like them. Heck, I'm all over the Stoner Rock thread so I certainly have nothing against recycling a certain style or sound.

Led Zep was original in the sense that they recast old blues tunes/idioms into a rock setting, much like other bands at the time, Tull, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, etc. But at age 11 in 1969, neither I nor anyone else I knew had the musical vocabulary to hear Led Zep and say, "they're ripping off xxxx by Spirit from 1965" (or whatever earlier rock tunes LZ is said to have lifted from). And it wasn't until my blues kick of the 1980's that I stumbled onto a Sonny Boy Williamson CD and heard a song where LZ did a direct ripoff from for the acoustic intro to "Ramble On", right down to the "underwater" effect on the vocals...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

78[/video]
    For what it is worth, I own two Wolfmother albums and really enjoy both of them.

nce.
    The Darkness most recent album is pretty good. I actually liked their 2nd one the best, although the band broke up for a while after that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Darkness most recent album is pretty good. I actually liked their 2nd one the best, although the band broke up for a while after that.
    I liked the first album, but the lead singer's voice was a bit much for me over the course of an entire album. You have to wonder how long a mercurial rise like that can last in modern times. They had a couple of stellar tunes on that first album that got burnt out on radio and MTV (back when MTV played music). Then they vanished. Just like The Strokes. Just like The Black Crows. Just like [insert latest retro whiz here].