Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAL MORSE BAND: The Great Adventure - January 25 2019

I have read four reviews so far for The Great Adventure and they are all glowing. I didn't receive an advance copy (as I write for a non-Prog music website, The Fire Note) and that's okay. I love Neal and everything he's about. I haven't "drank the Kool-Aid" and I'm not about to but I love his honesty and sincerity. Apparently this new one is darker and angrier than Similitude. If it's anything like Sola Scriptura (which the two songs released thus far sort of indicate) I think a lot of Neal haters will be eating crow soon enough...

Let's not get confused though: Neal is comfort Prog. He's not trying to reinvent anything. Just doing his thing.

Amen.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Apparently this new one is darker and angrier than Similitude. If it's anything like Sola Scriptura (which the two songs released thus far sort of indicate) I think a lot of Neal haters will be eating crow soon enough...
    I don't understand that [crow] statement at all. Do Neal haters not like him because he's not metal enough? I had not heard that one.

I'm certainly not a hater... but Sola Scriptura is one of my least favorite Neal releases. Neal isn't a dark & angry guy, so the more metal he gets the less I enjoy. Look at what he put out on his own outside of any band or project.... the lighthearted "Life & Times". I have to go against the grain here and say that the Great Adventure doesn't interest me. I loved The Grand Experiment though with it's lush harmonies and upbeat Styx-like feel. But, I'll certainly give the new one a listen.

I had no idea there were already a few in-depth reviews out there. I have read them and they are indeed very positive although very obviously written by fans. At least they make it clear that there will be many recurring themes from the previous album, which I don't find very reassuring. You already know that a new Neal Morse album is going to be more of the same (even if you fall for it in the end most of the time) but this time you already know a great deal of the musical themes that will be used.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I had no idea there were already a few in-depth reviews out there. I have read them and they are indeed very positive although very obviously written by fans. At least they make it clear that there will be many recurring themes from the previous album, which I don't find very reassuring. You already know that a new Neal Morse album is going to be more of the same (even if you fall for it in the end most of the time) but this time you already know a great deal of the musical themes that will be used.
    This does worry me a bit although one reviewer stated that the Similitude themes which do creep in are augmented or varied to minimize the "same old same old" effect.
    The Prog Corner

This does worry me a bit although one reviewer stated that the Similitude themes which do creep in are augmented or varied to minimize the "same old same old" effect.
    Except that's basically what Neal does when he repeats themes throughout a concept album or a big epic, there's always some variation involved, whether it's a change in tempo, time signature, key, instrumentation or small variations in the melody. I can't see how this is going to be any different. One guy says there are actually 6 themes from Similitude that are reprised on the new album, so that is in fact most if not all of the recurring themes that were all over Similitude.

^ Sounds like he named the wrong album Similitude.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sounds like he named the wrong album Similitude.

This does worry me a bit
    Hater talk!!!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I still like ol' Neal, but over the last 5-10 years I have gotten a little weary of his music. He has one of those instantly identifiable approaches to songwriting, and there's nothing wrong with that of course. I quite liked The Grand Experiment, which I bought just a few weeks ago, and it's the first Neal-related album I've purchased since Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope came out.

But I hope that this is a good album and that the fans enjoy it. Who knows, I may even try it out.

Every now and then I do like to dust off my old Spock's Beard CDs and give them a listen.

Mike & Bill on lead vocals......

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Hater talk!!!
    Ferociously so!!!
    The Prog Corner

Can't wait to see them..The latest..

https://hardrockdaddy.com/2019/01/11...FG-Mge9oxViEK4

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Can't wait to see them..The latest..

https://hardrockdaddy.com/2019/01/11...FG-Mge9oxViEK4
    Huh? I gotta sift through 100 songs to find it?

Edit: Oh, it's the 4th track. Derrrr.

Vanity Fair... the 4th song released.

The Beatles are back!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I really liked it.

Cardboard People... he did that on "Time Has Come" from Beware of Darkness.

The ending is a bit too cheesy for my taste.

More ELO than Beatles

Just got my copy and gave it two listens last night. It's Similitude's evil twin.

The Similitude themes are not over done (thankfully). My only complaint is a small one: the main theme ("A Love That Never Dies") appears at least seven times. Way too much. It's as if Neal knew he wrote the best song of his career and just couldn't help himself.

Overall, I love it (of course) but I think Similitude is overall the stronger record.

9/10
    The Prog Corner

My only complaint is a small one: the main theme ("A Love That Never Dies") appears at least seven times. Way too much. It's as if Neal knew he wrote the best song of his career and just couldn't help himself.
    He did that with God's Theme on Testimony. I haven't counted but it appears around 6 or 7 times as well. By the time you reach the end of the album where the theme is fully developed, you are already fed up because you've heard it so many times before. Clearly a case in point of Neal overdoing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    He did that with God's Theme on Testimony. I haven't counted but it appears around 6 or 7 times as well. By the time you reach the end of the album where the theme is fully developed, you are already fed up because you've heard it so many times before. Clearly a case in point of Neal overdoing it.
    When Neal falls in love it's pretty obvious. "God's Theme" even reappears in Testimony 2!!! And it is an amazing piece of music but...

Luckily Testimony, Similitude and TGA are really long and can handle the repetition - up to a point.

Either way, a minor quibble with a major talent.
    The Prog Corner

I just listened to some and it sounds pretty good to me. - Is that Mike Portnoy singing???? One of the reasons I was glad to see the backside of him in DT was his voice. At least Neal isn't letting him go muppet (hopefully)

Disc Two is (perhaps) the best thing Neal has ever done.
    The Prog Corner

Disc Two is (perhaps) the best thing Neal has ever done.
    I hope you're right, I'll be playing Disc 2 for the first time on my way home tonight. So far not impressed with disc 1. I have been listening to Similitude to prepare myself for the new one, and on first listen nothing on disc 1 sounds as good as the main themes from Similitude.