Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAL MORSE BAND: The Great Adventure - January 25 2019

Finally a Toronto show.

Iv'e been wanting to see Neal since I first discovered his music years ago.

Very rarely does he do Toronto.

DtB

"Similitude of a dream" was a disappointment for me. I thought I would get it when I went to his concert (the whole album was performed live), but my opinion of the album became even worse... So I'm a bit sceptical about the follow-up.
    Last edited by Silantyev; 10-16-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Morse is an expert in recurring musical themes but sometimes he's on the verge of overdoing it. TSOAD has so many of those, I analyzed it and found there wasn't a single song that didn't include a theme from another song. I wonder, if Neal rehashes those musical themes yet again on this new double album, won't it be a bit too much?
    He's been recycling ideas for years which is why I got off the Neal Morse bus when Testimony II came out. I have big respect for Neal though, good luck to him and I hope all his fans enjoy the new album and tour.

It's a fine line between "recycling ideas" and "recurring themes." I think that Neal does it too much (and I agree with whoever said that Portnoy has major input with it), but I'm sure that Neal views it as "recurring themes." But I also understand the criticism that Neal has become formulaic. Like I said earlier - if you like what he does, he's good at it. Not everyone likes a steady dose of that, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not a fan of "Similitude of a Dream" myself, but it's not because I find it repetitive, or recycled ideas. I just find it doesn't have enough atmosphere and soundscapes, and never comes up for air. It's also too heavy and too hard rock oriented - and exhausted over 2 discs. I see that as Portnoy's & Gillette's influence. City of Destruction always reminds me of KISS. If The Great Adventure is darker than ASOAD, then I'm probably sitting this one out. But, good for them that ASOAD was such a success. The audiences were very impressive, and I've watched Neal's career for 20 years.

Personally, I thought The Grand Experiment was awesome though. I'm disappointed they didn't continue in that more "Styx-like" sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Finally a Toronto show.

Iv'e been wanting to see Neal since I first discovered his music years ago.

Very rarely does he do Toronto.
    They played the Mod Club in January 2017, the entire Similitude Of A Dream album! The encore was Momentum, Author Of Confusion and The Call. It was a spectacular show, sorry you missed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I actually find the tour listing as most impressive in this day age of a prog band. How many modern prog bands are able to do this like them or not? They work hard and produce some good stuff and certainly do not spare energy at their shows. 10 years ago Neal would play 1 or 2 US dates and handful of Euro dates. They have done a great job of building their core audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's a fine line between "recycling ideas" and "recurring themes." I think that Neal does it too much (and I agree with whoever said that Portnoy has major input with it), but I'm sure that Neal views it as "recurring themes." But I also understand the criticism that Neal has become formulaic. Like I said earlier - if you like what he does, he's good at it. Not everyone likes a steady dose of that, though.
    It's the "too much of a good thing" syndrome from where I sit. I mean, I'll still end up buying the album, but I thought Momentum was the kind of formula that I'd like to see again.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Saturation Point? If so, I'm there. Maybe three or four bands I'm beginning to get the same feeling about. I like what they do, I just don't seem to reach for them as much as I used to.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Dallas!!

I will only listen if the drums are bashed as hard as possible from beginning to end.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I will only listen if the drums are bashed as hard as possible from beginning to end.
    I think you might be pleased...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I think you might be pleased...

This talk of The Grand Experiment has piqued my curiosity. I gave it a miss back when it came out, because I assumed it would just be more of the same. I've kinda gotten off the Neal Morse bus, even though I still have a lot of love for the guy.

But now I'm thinking I should have checked that one out. And I see it's on Apple Music, so I'll give it a listen there. Thanks for the heads up, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This talk of The Grand Experiment has piqued my curiosity. I gave it a miss back when it came out, because I assumed it would just be more of the same. I've kinda gotten off the Neal Morse bus, even though I still have a lot of love for the guy.

But now I'm thinking I should have checked that one out. And I see it's on Apple Music, so I'll give it a listen there. Thanks for the heads up, gentlemen.
    Well for one thing it has Alive Again which is one of my favourite Morse epics - it follows the usual Morse 'formula' but something about this one just works for me more than the others. Part of it is Eric Gillette's vocals which are very strong, I like that guy's voice. Also it has a gorgeous ballad-y type piece in Waterfall. I really like the album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well for one thing it has Alive Again which is one of my favourite Morse epics - it follows the usual Morse 'formula'
    Yeah I’ll say, including the total lift from Walking on the Wind.

"The Call" and "Alive Again" are both worth the price of admission. The title track sounds like Styx. "Waterfall" is a "Ripples" ripoff (sort of.) and then there's "Agenda" - the most hated song in Neal's discography and I love it.

A terrific LP and one well worth revisiting.
    The Prog Corner

Touring is where the money is. At least that's were mine went...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well for one thing it has Alive Again which is one of my favourite Morse epics - it follows the usual Morse 'formula' but something about this one just works for me more than the others. Part of it is Eric Gillette's vocals which are very strong, I like that guy's voice. Also it has a gorgeous ballad-y type piece in Waterfall. I really like the album!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yeah I’ll say, including the total lift from Walking on the Wind.
    "The Call" and "Alive Again" are both worth the price of admission. The title track sounds like Styx. "Waterfall" is a "Ripples" ripoff (sort of.) and then there's "Agenda" - the most hated song in Neal's discography and I love it.

A terrific LP and one well worth revisiting.
    Well, thanks to you gents I listened to this one and quite liked it! So much in fact that I tracked down a copy on Discogs.

I think my favorite song is the title track actually. Great chorus.

Glad I listened to you folks on this one.

The Great Adventure!!!
    Pre-orders are up at 10am EDT.

This one is going to be epic. (Just a guess...)

And the boys in Flying Colors are all together at Casa De Portnoy writing for the third album.

Life is good!!!

All aboard the Neal Morse train.
    The Prog Corner

Well, thanks to you gents I listened to this one and quite liked it! So much in fact that I tracked down a copy on Discogs.

I think my favorite song is the title track actually. Great chorus.

Glad I listened to you folks on this one.
    I had a feeling you were going to like that one!!! That title track slays - especially in a live setting...
    The Prog Corner

The Great Adventure!!!

And the boys in Flying Colors are all together at Casa De Portnoy writing for the third album.

Life is good!!!

Thanks! Just Pre-Ordered the 3 disc SE

First video from the album:

Awesome!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Great Adventure!!!

Life is good!!!

Cool news about Flying Colors!