Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy plays Rush-Permanent Waves... BY HIMSELF

Guy plays Rush-Permanent Waves... BY HIMSELF

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's fantastic! He even nailed the vocals.

Superb!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Now that's damn impressive!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

...OK, now do it RIGHT-HANDED !!!!

....seriously, that was about as bad-ass as you could ask for. (Great album pick too)
    G.A.S -aholic

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Very impressive. Interesting that he's a lefty guitar player, but a righty drummer.
    Chad

See also

It does seem like musicians are getting better, from a technical standpoint. I guess it's easier to copy Rush than to invent Rush, but 30 years ago no one in the world could have done this.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Maybe one of these guys can replace Neil? ; )

Ummm. You know who this guy is? Drummer for "Queen + Adam Lambert," that's who...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Very impressive. Interesting that he's a lefty guitar player, but a righty drummer.
    I agree on all points.
    Superb.

As someone who has tried to do this sort of thing, I very much understand how challenging this is.

Thanks for the Thread!

Now doing the vocals, bass and keys at the same time, like Geddy Lee.

Still it really is impressive.
    This was the first Rush album I heard.

Tyler Warren plays percussion, does backing vox and plays "some" drums for Queen + Lambert as Roger Taylor plays most of the drums with help from his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I noticed that too. I have a weird "reaction" watching southpaws play guitar/bass - I can't explain it. Its like my brain won't accept it

I watched Jacob's Ladder and Entre Nous - basically perfection in his recreation. Bravo!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I noticed that too. I have a weird "reaction" watching southpaws play guitar/bass - I can't explain it. Its like my brain won't accept it
    Years ago i read an interview with Elliot Easton (The Cars) about being a lefty learning by watching right handed players - he explained it was like a mirror image and could see just what their hands were doing and made it easier. Made perfect sense to me but there aren't too many left handed guys to learn from (maybe that Hendrix guy).

This Warren guy enormously talented, thanks for posting, now i can learn the guitar parts for Permanent Waves.

Jeezez, that is just fabulous.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

He really goes into a zenlike state when he crushes those uber-high parts in Freewill! - I think those are the highest notes Geddy ever registered on any album. Thats impressive, something like G above high C... whoa. How high could he go? Doesnt quite have the "power" Geddy had on the original, but man, it sure looks effortless. Glad this guy has done other things, I kept thinking how this guy ought to be playing in some kind of a band... Queen would definitely fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    He really goes into a zenlike state when he crushes those uber-high parts in Freewill! - I think those are the highest notes Geddy ever registered on any album. Thats impressive, something like G above high C... whoa. How high could he go? Doesnt quite have the "power" Geddy had on the original, but man, it sure looks effortless. Glad this guy has done other things, I kept thinking how this guy ought to be playing in some kind of a band... Queen would definitely fit that bill.
    Great observation.
    If I recall, you can do a good job on Geddy's vocals, right Yodelgoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Great observation.
    If I recall, you can do a good job on Geddy's vocals, right Yodelgoat?
    I'm a bit of a Geddy wannabe. Freewill is probably the most challenging of all the vocals on a Rush song, I can hit it, but it's up there where its a strain - watch any vocalist, showing strain is the first sign of limits. This guy did it effortlessly!

Now that I think about it, there is also Cygnus-X1 where he just lets out a incoherent shriek that I have never seriously attempted. I'd like to see this guy do it, He seems like he could do it - perhaps it would wipe that Zen-like look off his face though.

He's very well trained, in that he appears to relax when reaching those higher registers, exactly the opposite that Geddy does these days. I think Geddy would benefit from a little practice in that area. He practices the snot out of his bass, he doesnt appear (though I do not know) that he spends much time on his rather famous and unique voice. There are really good exercises that could probably help his range tremendously. I even have my suspicions that if he improved his voice a bit, we might see Neil Peart playing out again. I have never heard Peart say it or display in any way any "discomfort" with Geddy's voice, but he is such a perfectionist, I certainly assume he would love to see greater emphasis on Geddy singing better, those marvelous lyrics that Neal works so hard on (as he says "Care has been taken") My main criticism of Rush live is that Geddy doesn't seem to be concerned about getting the melody right, or even getting all the words out in a poetic fashion. He just says "when I was young I sang notes that are insanely high" (something to that effect)

I have often thought that Neil, being a "polite Canadian", would never say anything to Geddy, but that just might be something that could possibly bother him. Killer Bass, Killer Musicianship, and an obviously deteriorating voice. When the Lyrics are something Neil is obviously proud of (and should be). I apologize to anyone who would find this offensive, but I think it plausible that if Geddy could gain his range back (and he absolutely can), Neil might see fit to overcome some of his own "limitations" as well. In my observation, Its not the Drumming that has deteriorated in the Rush shows over the years, its the voice by far, that has had the most issues. I like Geddy's natural warble, and his more mature choice of notes in the latter albums, but he is more than capable of rediscovering his mojo - vocally speaking. He just needs to practice and use this guy above's method, and perhaps get his voice in shape again. I do not know if Geddy has ever had a voice coach, but watching him live, it seems like he could definitely benefit from a true professional's coaching. In his old days, it was probably NOT an issue. But his body language on stage definitely shows he is breaking some pretty basic rules about hitting the high notes. The guy on the video here is showing some very good practices - nose breathing, not gulping his air, proper posture, relaxed shoulders, looking and singing "through" the microphone... much more to it than that, but those are the obvious things. Watch Geddy live, he is the exact opposite of that.

Sorry If I'm being offensive to Geddy, He's awesome and I would like nothing more than to see him play and sing live again. But same with Neil and Alex too!

Some excellent points there.
    I too find that it was only the vocals in the last decade that hampered my enjoyment of the live recordings. Alex's guitar work, Neil's drumming, and Geddy's bass/keyboard playing are excellent.

It would be fascinating to find out if he has had any vocal coaching.

Now that I think about it, there is also Cygnus-X1 where he just lets out a incoherent shriek that I have never seriously attempted.
    If you did, "every nerve" would probably be "torn apart."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

what's going on with Geddy & Alex?
    they should just write 12 songs and make this guy record them and go on tour.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    what's going on with Geddy & Alex?
    they should just write 12 songs and make this guy record them and go on tour.
    I saw somewhere that Geddy was mentioning feeling the need to "feed the beast" I just think they are in a state of not being sure what to do. Do they even talk to Neil anymore? I think for Neil, writing lyrics my be what he wants to get away from the most. and that takes a lot more time than I think most people realize. I wonder, if Ged and Alex are asking themselves "Do we just go ahead and write our own lyrics?" I have to think that they know more then they are letting on about all this. I would still really enjoy hearing anything they would put out, regardless of Neils involvement.

I wonder, if Ged and Alex are asking themselves "Do we just go ahead and write our own lyrics?" .
    Two of my favorite Rush songs, Tears and Different Strings, had lyrics that written by Geddy. I dunno if he has it in him to write an entire album, but those two songs sure show he can come up with some good words at least occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Two of my favorite Rush songs, Tears and Different Strings, had lyrics that written by Geddy. I dunno if he has it in him to write an entire album
    Ahem... Geddy Lee, "My Favorite Headache." (2000).

It's so weird. Why does everyone forget about this album, especially since it was released during Rush's hiatus? It's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 12-16-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Geddy is good with lyrics. i have no problem with Rush getting a new drummer (perhaps 2)

but i also think that Geddy & Alex could put together a nice band with a drummers, a percussionist and a full keyboardist.
    they can tour with an opening act and only play for 90 minutes. shorter show, less dates better for their age problems

but if they do nothing, fine with me. 40 was a great run.