Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Reason Revolution reform

Pure Reason Revolution reform

... to play the Midsummer Prog Festival next year.

https://www.facebook.com/midsummerpr...42263216035104

Unclear if this heralds any more activity.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

"The Dark Third" still ranks right up there for me with my favorite albums from that era. Their final album was just ok, but I would love to hears something new from them. Really enjoyed them at NEARfest too.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Amazing news, hopefully there'll be more gigs

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "The Dark Third" still ranks right up there for me with my favorite albums from that era. Their final album was just ok, but I would love to hears something new from them. Really enjoyed them at NEARfest too.
    My thoughts exactly and I loved their NEARfest set and that live CD. Chloe Alper...mmm.

Now this is pretty interesting...

Loved The Dark Third, and I liked the stuff they did afterward (although it didn’t reach the same heights for me). Here’s hoping it may be a sign of more activity down the road. Fingers crossed at least...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

when they announced their break up in 2011, I recall they mentioned planning on reuniting again; i.e. they ended on good terms.

And I thought it more likely just live, but when bands reunite to play some shows, it often leads to more shows and eventually, interest in writing and recording new music.

Baby steps, but it's certainly positive. Especially considering how little music Chloe and Jon have put out since (Bullet Height released their debut in 2017, and Tiny Giant has only put out some singles).

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I saw this on Facebook last week. Very interesting indeed! I played the crap out of "The Dark Third." I liked the other albums, but it was a departure from what hooked me on them.
    Chad

bump.

they did the reunion gig last Saturday at Midsummer's Prog Festival and checkout the Set List.

shit I never saw them live despite being a fan for 14 years, but The Dark Third...damn

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pure-...-73912aa1.html

Aeropause
    Goshen's Remains
    Apprentice of the Universe
    The Bright Ambassadors of Morning
    Nimos & Tambos
    Voices in Winter / In the Realms of the Divine
    Bullitts Dominæ
    Arrival / The Intention Craft
    He Tried to Show Them Magic! / Ambassadors Return

Encore:
    The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows
    Deus Ex Machina
    Fight Fire

Last edited by mnprogger; 06-26-2019 at 09:34 PM.

But only Courtney and Alper from the previous line-up, I understand...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Interesting, I miss them as a band.

Meh. Thought these guys were spectacularly average the first time round, can't say a reformation has me anything other than fizzing with apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Meh. Thought these guys were spectacularly average the first time round, can't say a reformation has me anything other than fizzing with apathy.
    Good for you. In that case, I'd say this reunion is for the people who like this band, rather than yourself.

But that first album...

So good!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I saw 'em at Nearfest and was totally underwhelmed. They seemed to use more backing tracks than Ashlee Simpson. I'm happy for everyone that loves them, though!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    But that first album...

So good!!!
    I know! The direction they took after that wasn't as enjoyable for me, but The Dark Third was so good.

Ever hear their non-album track "In Aurelia"? I think it came on the bonus disc edition.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I know! The direction they took after that wasn't as enjoyable for me, but The Dark Third was so good.

Ever hear their non-album track "In Aurelia"? I think it came on the bonus disc edition.
    "The Dark Third" remains one of my favorite prog albums of all time. I still pull it out for a listen now and then and it works as well as it did the first time I heard it. That album has a certain something that separates it from the masses. Their stuff afterwards was ok, but did not do nearly as much for me. Glad they are back together.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Actually there are three different versions of the album the single Disc UK and US versions, which had both two tracks
    the other Version had not.

Also there is the German 2CD Version which had all tracks from the US and the UK Version plus a handfull more like
    "In Aurelia". This Version was also released in UK and US in 2011.

The track was before "The Dark Third" already on the "Cautionary Tales For The Brave" EP and there was a single with
    two versions of the song.
    Last edited by TheH; 06-28-2019 at 05:09 AM.

I'm with you aith01. I have never understood why people will go to threads and comment on bands they don't like or have no interest in. I personally think it has to do with just starting shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I saw 'em at Nearfest and was totally underwhelmed. They seemed to use more backing tracks than Ashlee Simpson. I'm happy for everyone that loves them, though!
    Are you really?

^^ Yup. Just not my cuppa.

They have also signed to InsideOutMusic with a new album due in 2020.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'm very happy about this and they sound good. Paul Mullen was on guitar. Anyone know who played drums for this gig?

Some nice photos from the show: https://theprogspace.com/midsummer-p...on-revolution/

Here are the quotes from Facebook this morning:

"We’re very pleased to announce that we’ve reunited PRR. We played our first show in close to 8 years at the recent Midsummer-Prog-Festival in the Netherlands, performing ‘The Dark Third’ in full. The festival & crowd reaction was incredible. We were touched that people had travelled from Canada, Russia, Italy, Spain, UK & many more countries. The tracks are as exciting as ever to play & it's encouraging to see the material still has relevance & connects.

We are working on a new studio album & have signed to Inside Out Music - the album will be out in 2020. The material for the new album returns to a much more progressive sound & by doing the Dark Third in its entirety, it’s nice to remind ourselves of the genesis of PRR.

We look forward to seeing you in 2020.
    PRR (Jon Courtney & Chloë Alper) xx"
    Chad

I'm thrilled for them reuniting and writing new music of any kind given I enjoy AVO and Hammer & Anvil quite lot besides The Dark Third.

But I imagine a lot of fans who really only went crazy for TDT, may be encouraged with the statement about the new album returning more to the progressive/TDT sound.

PRR in 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTG8 View Post
    I'm with you aith01. I have never understood why people will go to threads and comment on bands they don't like or have no interest in. I personally think it has to do with just starting shit.
    I don't think that's always the case. I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt. There's no rule that says 'thou shalt not share thy negativity' so maybe they're looking for validation for having an unpopular opinion, or trying to see where they fit in. There's a lot of bands I don't like, and although I don't feel the need to telegraph it to others, I understand why some do, and it's not always to troll. If I discover someone with the same unpopular sentiment, I'm likely to feel less alone. Isn't that why we're all here?

...Damn, being optimistic is hard work.

I'm happy about the news, anyway! Admittedly the only album of theirs I really liked through and through was the Dark Third. I enjoyed a select few tracks off Amor Vincit Omnia and one or two from Hammer and Anvil, but each album got progressively weaker imo. Their song structures just seemed to get simpler and duller? It's like their passion evaporated and they became less committed to their ideas.