Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson- Home Invasion in concert RAH coming soon

Steven Wilson- Home Invasion in concert RAH coming soon

At the end of March 2018, Steven Wilson played a sell-out three night residency at one of the world’s most iconic venues: London’s Royal Albert Hall. The three Albert Hall shows saw Steven and his virtuoso band present the songs from To The Bone and many more from a deep dive into his extensive back catalogue as part of visually and sonically immersive experience. There, brain-twisting visuals met expansive 4D sound, making this most traditional of English venues feel like it was hosting a very different kind of Prom – more communion than concert. It wasn’t surprising that the Sun described the gig as “one of the best shows of the year – and it’s only March”.

Home Invasion: In Concert At The Royal Albert Hall captures the last show of the three-night run and includes nearly 3 hours of live performance. The concert film release is put together from footage filmed on multiple cameras from every conceivable angle in the auditorium and on the stage, and the sound has been specially mixed by Steven in both 5.1 surround sound and stereo. It’s the perfect document of one of the UK’s most uncompromising artists - someone who remains “resolutely independent… the most successful British artist you’ve never heard of” (The Telegraph).

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Release date Nov. 2, 2018.

A 30-second teaser is pretty chintzy but whatever. Looks like they've finally stopped combining DVDs and Blu-Rays in the same set, which is good!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Really enjoying this - anyone else?

I've seen SW three times at the Albert Hall...2010, 2013 and 2015 but didn't quite feel like making the effort for this one as To the Bone didn't float my boat. But the various clips I've seen look really good and they seem to have done a well above average job of capturing the gig on film. So this might be a more enjoyable way of experiencing that material for me. The band seem to gel really well with this current line up.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Really enjoying this - anyone else?
    YES! The band is really tight and the film is well done. I really like the old PT numbers and Ninet taking the lead on "The People Who Eat Darkness"

Arriving Somewhere, Sleep Together & Ancestral are just some of the highlights. I'm not that keen on To The Bone either but I'd say most of the tracks fare a lot better here with a better mix & production than they did on the original album. Song Of Unborn is wonderful as is The Raven of course.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    So expensive! I saw the tour and really enjoy To The Bone but the price is really night with the equivalent of $14 Canadian shipping and $30 for the Blue Ray DVD. Forty four dollars is a lot to spend. Have to really think about this one.

I kept hoping that this would be available from Amazon, but so far that isn’t the case. I guess that I will order from Burning Shed. I was at the RAH concert when they filmed this and it was terrific.

I look forward to seeing him tonight in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    So expensive! I saw the tour and really enjoy To The Bone but the price is really night with the equivalent of $14 Canadian shipping and $30 for the Blue Ray DVD. Forty four dollars is a lot to spend. Have to really think about this one.
    How is the cost if you just buy the DVD? Maybe that's the way to go? Sorry about those postage charges!!

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I kept hoping that this would be available from Amazon, but so far that isn’t the case. I guess that I will order from Burning Shed. I was at the RAH concert when they filmed this and it was terrific.

I look forward to seeing him tonight in Tokyo.
    I pre-ordered from Amazon.com and it arrived sometime this past week. I guess the demand is outstripping supply. Maybe they're selling it at the show?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-04-2018 at 05:18 PM.

I had a few problems getting hold of it on release day in the UK. There were distribution problems with the bluray/cd set not being delivered to stores in Edinburgh.

My record store did at least get the standalone bluray and dvd editions, although the guys had to wade through umpteen boxes to track down their one copy of the bluray for me.

Happily, it's worth the effort - there's only been one other occasion where my wife has keenly sat through an entire concert dvd, and then asked..."Can we watch it all over again?"

But for a more seasoned review of the bluray, here's the link to my blog review:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....invasion-2018/

Hope you all get your copies soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I had a few problems getting hold of it on release day in the UK. There were distribution problems with the bluray/cd set not being delivered to stores in Edinburgh.

My record store did at least get the standalone bluray and dvd editions, although the guys had to wade through umpteen boxes to track down their one copy of the bluray for me.

Happily, it's worth the effort - there's only been one other occasion where my wife has keenly sat through an entire concert dvd, and then asked..."Can we watch it all over again?"

But for a more seasoned review of the bluray, here's the link to my blog review:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....invasion-2018/

Hope you all get your copies soon!
    Nice review. I watched it over the weekend and didn't notice the split L-R channels for guitar, so I'm looking forward to giving it another go soon to listen with this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Its Sooooooooooooooo Worth it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Its Sooooooooooooooo Worth it!!!!
    Yes I totally agree.

The quality of the video production & the 5:1 blu-ray audio is absolutely stunning...

Really enjoyable & thoroughly recommended!"

I must remember to get this, I was at the show they filmed, and the one of the pervious shows when they played the alternative set.

I managed to get seats down the front at short notice and the show was brilliant, it would be great top watch it again from the comfort of my sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    Nice review. I watched it over the weekend and didn't notice the split L-R channels for guitar, so I'm looking forward to giving it another go soon to listen with this in mind.
    Yep, very good review, Valen! And I'm off to watch it now, thanks to you...

I watched a few songs from the Bluray so far. I'm very impressed with the production and the way the Royal Albert Hall is used in so many shots. The theater is spectacular. I always think of the Hitchcock film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, when I see the interior of the RAH! I look forward to viewing the whole video when I have some more time.

I watched it for a 2nd time yesterday evening and noticed things I hadn't before. The visual production of this is indeed spectacular, not only roving camera angles but the use of split screens and rapid cutting from one camera to another during the wild sections of Ancestral for example. For me this Blu Ray has put SW back in "my good books' after the patchy To The Bone, the awful Permanating and the lousy sound at the RAH on the 1st night when I was there!
    Last edited by Steve983; 11-13-2018 at 11:39 AM.

I watched the first few tracks from the DVD last night. Stunningly good. I also watched a few tunes worth of the new Opeth live DVD. Also stunningly good!
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I watched the first few tracks from the DVD last night. Stunningly good.
    I agree. SW lost me after Porcupine Tree, but this DVD/CD set is incredible. I watched most of it last night with mouth agape and even applauded after a couple of the tracks. Extremely dynamic, and SW's sense of humor shines through. The musicians are top-notch, of course, and I was glad to see him using another drummer (Craig Blundell) instead of Marco. Not a real big fan of Marco. Craig is super solid and tasty.

Well-shot, altho some of the effects detracted from being able to see the musicians.

Well worth the $28 I spent!
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 11-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.

I'm a big fan of Marco, but Craig Blundell is fantastic here. Initially (a couple years ago) I wasn't all that psyched about CB, but he has grown on me. Not sure why, probably just a different approach which took me a while to sus out....which initially I thought was too technical and lacking a certain feel. I don't know if he's gotten better or what (time and familiarity with the material?), but he's just amazing on this DVD.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm a big fan of Marco, but Craig Blundell is fantastic here. Initially (a couple years ago) I wasn't all that psyched about CB, but he has grown on me. Not sure why, probably just a different approach which took me a while to sus out....which initially I thought was too technical and lacking a certain feel. I don't know if he's gotten better or what (time and familiarity with the material?), but he's just amazing on this DVD.
    I don't see the "too technical" aspect- he just seems to be a 'meaty' drummer to me. Kind of like Lee Kerslake was.

Granted, he has chops, but they are more subtle, as opposed to someone like, say, Gavin H.

This is really good.... Though I'm not sure this batch of tunes is as compelling as the ones on prior DVDs. It's nice to have in the collection though and a good glimpse at what the current tour will be like.

2 CDs/Blu Ray - Wilson 23.99
    1 CD/Blu Ray Less Songs Brand X 40.00 and the won't distribute to indie stores such as Ken Golden[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So, does this include his rant about pop music?